AntiPinkChrissy

speeding ticket

So on my way home yesterday from my New Years Day jump (yeah!!). A state police officer had the audacity to ruin my day and give me a speeding ticket :(. The ticket was written for the actual amount I was going over (78mph in a 55....oops). I also had not changed my address yet with the Sec. of State because I had recently moved and he gave me a warning for that. That was his way of 'giving me a break'. I am planning on contesting the ticket, anybody have any suggestions on how I can get the charges lowered?

~La La Gang Member #2~

First: Do state troopers in Michigan get paid to appear in court?
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

If the officer doesn't show up in court for the ticket then you may yet get out of it.

Other than that, it will be difficult unless you have a clean driving record, etc., and you plead for mercy.

In PA at least, they changed that rule so that the guy who wrote the ticket doesn't have to be there, just any officer. So they just assign one at the court house for the day.

Best ticket I ever got out of? 152 mph in a 55. But wait, it gets better. I used to work at a car dealership in high school. The dealership got the state bid for new police cruisers that year, and well, some of them had lights and sirens so we just "had" to check them out. Was out on the highway and went cruising by a state trooper, and yes the lights and siren were on. You know that instant glance and your flying by something and the look of sheer fear in your face as you recognize the officer in the other vehicle with the radar gun pointed at you? Well, he happened to be the trooper I had worked with for 4 years in high school with the DARE program in the grade schools. oops.
Got a good butt chewing, but no ticket.
-----
~~~Michael

I am planning on contesting the ticket, anybody have any suggestions on how I can get the charges lowered?

Sorry, but IMO, if you do the crime, you gotta do the time. There is no excuse for speeding. Speed kills. Please pay attention.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I am planning on contesting the ticket, anybody have any suggestions on how I can get the charges lowered?

Sorry, but IMO, if you do the crime, you gotta do the time. There is no excuse for speeding. Speed kills. Please pay attention.

Honestly, I don't appreciate your comment. There are many other factors of why I want to contest the ticket and I don't have the time to go into detail. I am not some type of reckless speedster (killer) who thinks that the law does not apply to me and I don't appreciate that accusation.

~La La Gang Member #2~

Best ticket I ever got out of? 152 mph in a 55. But wait, it gets better. I used to work at a car dealership in high school. The dealership got the state bid for new police cruisers that year, and well, some of them had lights and sirens so we just "had" to check them out. Was out on the highway and went cruising by a state trooper, and yes the lights and siren were on. You know that instant glance and your flying by something and the look of sheer fear in your face as you recognize the officer in the other vehicle with the radar gun pointed at you? Well, he happened to be the trooper I had worked with for 4 years in high school with the DARE program in the grade schools. oops.
Got a good butt chewing, but no ticket.

Luck was running in your favor that day!!

~La La Gang Member #2~

First: Do state troopers in Michigan get paid to appear in court?

Yes, that is what I have heard anyways. I would expect him to show up

Most states have the following process when fighting a speeding ticket:

First is a hearing where there is a representative of the police attending on behalf of the state, citing a report from the officer on-scene. This is a formality. Often, you can expect that a lower fine will be assessed, but there is no reduction in points or the fact that a ticket is on your record (we want to avoid that). You may be able to request a "withholding of judication" at this hearing, all you have to do is ask. If they refuse, you then request that it go to court.

Second, the actual court trial. Even if the officer shows up, remember that will have been months, and likely hundreds of tickets, since your incident. You have time and memory on your side. The officer will show the judge or magistrate his certificates for tuning and operating the radar gun, etc. BEFORE YOU GO TO COURT: Check the traffic laws about how speed limits are established, and the frequency of TRAFFIC AND ENGINEERING SURVEY requirements. In MOST states, a Traffic and Engineering Survey is required to establish the validity of a posted speed limit. Most officers do not bring these certificates to court. Even if they do, you can still request a withholding of judication.

Withholding of judication (Judgment Withheld) simply means that the court will leave the file open for a period of a year. If your record stays clean during that time, the ticket is tossed. If you get nailed again, the state comes at you with both barrels.

Whatever you do, DO NOT SIMPLY PAY THE FINE. Fight this to the practical end. If the cop has you dead to rights (no other cars around, good weather, etc), then requesting a withholding of judgment is always a good idea. Remember, while our system is built on "innocent until proven guilty" -- traffic court, in reality does not assume that. The judge and the cop know that most people fighting the system are looking for a break.

If you need to send the ticket in as a notice to say that you want a hearing, wait until the last moment to send it in. Drag out the process as long as you can. However, do not request a change in court date. Doing so means you're waiving your right to a fair and speedy trial. If you're lucky, the date set will not meet that criteria and you'll get off scott free there too.

Lots of information. I'll PM you with more. ;)
Make light!

Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden deceleration that's the problem.

And yes there is a reason for exceeding a posted speed limit...drive north on i-5 (north of LA) or east/west on i-84 between the rockies and the Mississippi River...you're going to go 65-70 on those stretches, I doubt it...

Speeding is hardly a crime. It's a method of collecting revenue for the state. It's bulls**t.
Make light!

Speeding is hardly a crime. It's a method of collecting revenue for the state. It's bulls**t.

THANK YOU! I speed, although I am usually within 10mph of the limit. I think speed limits are based on the skills of the shittiest drivers in the worst conditions. If anyone here has ever driving on 26 near portland, you know that rarely do people go 55 (except in rush hour where everyone goes 30 cause they don't know how to merge.) I've been known to go 75 or 80 on this stretch. I mean it's a straight highway and at the rural end, there are few on ramps, and the highway is fairly smooth so there is no reason to set the limit at 55

Check stuff out on the web - there are loads of sites dedicated to ways around not getting the fine such as www.paynofine.com

I agree that whilst if you do the crime you must do the time but I disagree with what we call stealth tax in the UK (grabbing cash from camera fines whilst not attempting to make roads safer).

"You are not a crook"

Let us know how you get on.

CJP

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

THANK YOU!

OK, but you have to agree that on every stretch of road there is a speed at which a given vehicle will become an unacceptable danger. So my question to you is, how would you propose that we fairly punish these dangerous drivers without speed limits?

If anyone here has ever driving on 26 near portland, you know that rarely do people go 55

Before I lived here in SoCal, I lived in downtown PDX and took 26 to Beaverton everyday for work. Before the days of the 55 speed limit, the rule in Oregon was "Basic Speed" with a guideline. That's why a lot of signs up there simply say "Speed" as opposed to "Speed Limit".

Anyway, one advantage to getting a ticket in Oregon is there is no points system. IIRC, it takes three speeding tickets for something to show up on your record (but when it does, look out).

Otherwise, I'm sad to say, Oregonian drivers amongst the worst in the country. Sorry. [:/] Massachusetts has the most dangerous (and entertaining). Connecticut drivers have been subdued by the highest fines in the country. Floridians wish they were fast paced. Georgia isn't too bad once you leave Atlanta (where they would go faster if traffic would only lighten up a bit ;)). Texans like to make their own on/off ramps. I laughed myself silly on the road into Dallas from DFW/Irving, seeing double off ramps (one paved, the other "homemade"...trucks going up the shoulder off the break-down lane! :S). In Montana you can't go fast enough, they have speed limits, it's just that you don't feel like you're making any progress if you going under 90. :ph34r: Here in SoCal...relatively well maintained roads, highways (sorry, FREEWAYS) and the toll-roads mean traffic is always moving (albeit sometimes "oozing"). My commute sees 85-100MPH at some points almost daily (no-sh*t!). :DB|;)
Make light!

So my question to you is, how would you propose that we fairly punish these dangerous drivers without speed limits?

That's not such a difficult problem to solve. Depending on the jurisdiction, you can create "lane-speed-limits" on certain highways, for certain vehicles only. It's do-able. Trucks are lane restricted all over the US. Of course, the traffic laws are no less complicated.

Also, who are the "dangerous" drivers? DUIs? No more dangerous at 80 than 55. (My dad and I were once tagged on a back road, DUI hit us doing 40... totalled both cars) Zig-zags in traffic? There would be less of that if there was lane-discipline/lane-speed (i.e. minimum 80 in lane 1, min 70 lane 2, 65 or under lane 3, etc.).

Another factor to consider is set realistic speed limits and then really hammer down on violations (i.e. Speed limit on remote parts of I-84 100MPH, you get busted doing 110 $500 fine). Also, allow mother nature to do her work and let the gene pool clear itself out. Driving is a potentially fatal risk at any speed above 10MPH.

Case and point: When the 55MPH limit was relieved, Montana set "Reasonable and Prudent" during the day and 70-80 at night. Anyone whose taken the Interstate outside Helena knows that under decent conditions, 100+ is certainly attainable, and reasonably safe. Well, a bunch of yahoos said, "great, I can go as fast as I want!" ..well they all got themselves smeared in the process. Nevertheless, Montana went to a "limit" of 80 in most places. Not that it matters. Even during the 55MPH limit, the fine was $5 for "Wasting Natural Resources" They did it right.

Another case and point: Since the relief of the 55 MPH national speed limit, fatalities have dropped per 1,000,000 miles driven nationwide. Nearly all states lifted the double-nickel and all saw fatalities go down.

Increasing speed, thus increasing flow of traffic, reduces the number of cars per square mile of highway, which also reduces emissions, which decreases pollution.

All things considered, I'm a fan of letting mother nature do her work.
Make light!

All things considered, I'm a fan of letting mother nature do her work

Oh me too, most definately, I think that OSHA needs to be banned, I mean it really isn't the next Einstien that runs his right arm through the wheat threshers, starts screaming and when his buddies run up and say "WHAT DID YOU DO?!?!?!?" He says "THIS" and runs his left arm through the threaser. I think that we should call it the Oxygen Conservation Act, (because all the stupid fuggers shouldn't be wasting my air!):S

*life gaurd whistle blowin* TWWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!
Hey, hey you in the red suit, out of my gene pool!!! :P

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Last time I was pulled over on my way home from jumping, I gave the officer a skydiving business card (for my DZ) and wrote my name on the back and said I'd get him a discount on the jump if he let me go....he did, and the proceeded to ask me a MILLION whuffo questions...but I'd rather sit through that than have paid the tic!:P

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Last time I was pulled over on my way home from jumping, I gave the officer a skydiving business card (for my DZ) and wrote my name on the back and said I'd get him a discount on the jump if he let me go....he did, and the proceeded to ask me a MILLION whuffo questions...but I'd rather sit through that than have paid the tic!:P

I even tried that route. I told him I was out at the DZ making a New Years Day jump, usually that sparks some questions and makes people more human. But nooo...this guy really did not care.

~La La Gang Member #2~

the guy who wrote the ticket doesn't have to be there, just any officer.

That's great! You have a right to a hearing at which you can question the officer. This substitute-cop won't know anything about it. I'd say this is your best way out of it.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Speed kills.

Speed alone does not kill. Nor does "rapid deceleration" alone kill. Both are minor ingredients in the recipe for death, and all they do is spice it up.

The instigating factor in auto accidents is decidedly NOT speed, but a "lack of ability" on the driver's part to appropriately operate his/her vehicle. No matter what speed you're travelling, if you can't drive, you will hurt or kill someone. It's just a matter of time.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal