MattM

Geocaching

It's been going on plenty long enough without people stealing them. ;) Even if somebody wanted to destroy a cache, they would have to first own a GPS receiver, and then they would have to be motivated to actually go out and find them. Besides, the contents of the caches usually aren't very valuable. If you just want to do some petty vandalism, it's a heck of a lot easier to drive around with a baseball bat and smash some mailboxes.

Myself, I'm at two found, 4 planned for tommorrow, and one really damn frustrating one that I just can't find.

here, you drunk m'fer :D

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

Matt

here, you drunk m'fer :D

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

And the point is...????

Yep! Lots of fun. Have only found about a dozen. but hope to get back on track with the fun soon. Might actually get one on the way to the DZ tomorrow (I've been eyeing it, but haven't taken the time to get out of the car and treck into the Ortega's).

Have a friend, however, who's gone absolutely bananas with the game. He's found over 200 of them this past year! Always brings adventure stories with him to the DZ. His wife and 2 children love it too! They went out to a geocaching picnic and met with alot of other geocacher's in the area.

Guess it kind of grows like another kind of family for those who are totally hooked. ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hmmm, never heard of such a thing. I guess I must be a complete geek, dork, etc. for actually finding it interesting. Exactly how popular is this? I mean, if a person were interested, how likely could said person participate with any expectation of succes?

Hmmm, never heard of such a thing. I guess I must be a complete geek, dork, etc. for actually finding it interesting. Exactly how popular is this? I mean, if a person were interested, how likely could said person participate with any expectation of succes?

Head over to geocaching.com and punch in your ZIP code. I just ran the one in your profile (55337). Here is a map of the caches in your area, with the bullseye symbol centered on the zipcode. It looks like you have tons of local caches. I counted 16 within five miles. You are lucky.

I'LL BE DAMNED!!!:o:o Who knew??? Really, I had no idea this whole thing ever existed. This is kinda cool ;) Ya really do learn something new every day! I gotta check into this a little more - Thanks indyz!

Edit - oops, thanks Mattm for bringing it up - should be very interesting in my neck of the woods ;)

Yea, like I said I did this in the mountains of NC... so much fun. Trying to find these little boxes with just a direction and how far away it is sounds simple, and somtimes it is, but can be very difficult. Not all of them have roads leading to them.

The box we found had a "travel bug" in it, it was a gorilla toy on a necklace and its destination is texas. So, you take this travel bug to any other geocaching site that is closer to texas... so eventually it will get there.

most of these include log books of who has visited the site and everything.

pretty cool if you're an outdoors kind of person.

Matt

Why was I not surprised to see a cache placed by quade? :)

Be not surprised by anything. He's the one who got me interested in this game in the first place.

It's touching to see the wuffo posts on that particular geocache thread. I've actually sat there and contemplated life quite a bit the past year.

ltdiver

Ivan,

Head over to Jersey Shore's DZ and look up my friend, Bunge. He'll 'splain it to ya. ;)

No, really, get ahold of a GPS unit, look up a cache on the web site, treck out and find it for yourself and you just might experience how fun it is! :P

ltdiver

Might actually get one on the way to the DZ tomorrow (I've been eyeing it, but haven't taken the time to get out of the car and treck into the Ortega's).

Dang! The geocache I was after today got bulldozed under by freakin' developers. It's gone now. [:/]

Guess, like anything good in life, you have to grab it when it's there and hold on. If you don't, it could be gone forever...

ltdiver