Dutchboy

As the prop doesn't turn

First of all, congratulations on living.

Why did you have an engine failure - air, spark or fuel?

I even had enough momentum left to get off the runway before somebody ran me over.

Uh, you -did- declare an emergency, didn't you?

If so, you not only owned the runway for as long as you needed, but the entire freekin' airport. Nobody should have been anywhere near running you over. ;)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Uh, you -did- declare an emergency, didn't you?

Why? What does that gain you at an uncontrolled airport? I've momentarily lost power (turbulence screwing with the carb I think) in the pattern of an uncontrolled airport and just announced something like "46Q is engine out, turning base now for 18." The one other plane in the pattern noticed and watched me land (uneventfully, with power.)

Is there any recommendation in the AIM or FAR's to declare an emergency at an uncontrolled airport if you lose power in the pattern?

Why? What does that gain you at an uncontrolled airport?

Of course, I just -assumed- this was at his home airport RYY -- a towered airport.

And if ya got time to make a position report of any type, I'm thinkin' declaring isn't too bad an idea. Heck just the fact you said "engine out" is actually a form of declaring. It would certainly be taken as such at any normal towered airport.
quade -

You owe BEER!..........can't believe no one said that yet.......Got your deadstick number yet?! I had my cherry busted in 86', C-182 JUMP plane of course.......It was my very first load as a jump pilot! Deadstick from 5 grand, rolled it to a pretty stop....

Yes I did declare, and had to fight the FAA off my back for 6 months. It was fuel starvation to a point. Had trash in the fuel lines somehow, (still had over 10 gal onboard) but the FAA thought different somehow......

After I landed the very first question from a senior jump pilot who shall remain nameless asked "You declare an emergency?", I said yes, then he had a few choice words for me, like dumbshit..etc..etc...Have had 2 other engine discrepancies in a jump plane in the ensuing 10 years, and no I did not declare.....I was directly over my home DZ, and no other A/C were around......

(I will add that Quade is correct as far as the FAA is concerned....)

I said yes, then he had a few choice words for me, like dumbshit..etc..etc...Have had 2 other engine discrepancies in a jump plane in the ensuing 10 years, and no I did not declare.....

Interesting.

There has been for years and years an on-going battle to get people to declare when they're actually in trouble. It's something that a lot of pilots fear and I for one just can't figure it out.

The ONLY time that declaring should get you a request to call the tower or some otherwise odious FAA request is if you actually cause them grief -- like maybe if you have an engine failure over the top of LAX, declare and shutdown a runway.

The only time I ever declared was while flying single-pilot night IFR when I had a total electrical failure. I declared using my handheld and got back into John Wayne Special VFR with no further issues. No phone calls to the tower, no letters, nothing. Of course, at the time I was an active CFI and most of the controllers knew my voice and the planes I flew. Oh yeah, and I still filed a NASA form. ;)

According to the FAA, declaring is -supposed- to be a good thing and not designed to get you into trouble.
quade -

(The ONLY time that declaring should get you a request to call the tower or some otherwise odious FAA request is if you actually cause them grief -- like maybe if you have an engine failure over the top of LAX, declare and shutdown a runway.)

My views exactly...I was 23 NM from San Antonio, outside the TCA (at that time), and was in no ones business.. Kinda funny, there I was in a glide, and they were asking me to take a phone number down to call the tower! I explained that I was a lil busy just then.... Didn't have the NASA forms back then either....or at least I don't think they did......

Why did you have an engine failure - air, spark or fuel?

Spark. I had a low voltage warning and so I was heading toward the airport to land. Lost the engine on base. I'm glad I didn't extend my base to follow the Cessna 172 (from RYY) flying the 747 pattern. I opted to just slow way down instead. My engine does not have magnetos, so electrical system is not optional.

I'm based at VPC, not RYY. I do most of my training out of RYY, but I won't pay their ridiculous prices for my personal aircraft.

Why? What does that gain you at an uncontrolled airport?

Of course, I just -assumed- this was at his home airport RYY -- a towered airport.

And if ya got time to make a position report of any type, I'm thinkin' declaring isn't too bad an idea. Heck just the fact you said "engine out" is actually a form of declaring. It would certainly be taken as such at any normal towered airport.

I do most of my instruction flights out of RYY, but am based at VPC, which is where this happened. Not being sure that I was being heard I stated I was making "an immediate landing on runway 1". One of the guys from the FBO called me after I was off the runway to make sure everything was OK. He heard my call and saw the dead stick landing.

I was mostly concerned with the Georgia Tech student who was trying to land the wrong way. I'm glad that he figured it out. His instructor said that it was the student that figured out he was going the wrong way. The AWOS at VPC is known to give bad wind numbers. I've seen the winds be 10 kts and reported as calm.

You owe BEER!..........can't believe no one said that yet.......Got your deadstick number yet?! I had my cherry busted in 86', C-182 JUMP plane of course.......It was my very first load as a jump pilot! Deadstick from 5 grand, rolled it to a pretty stop....

No beer owed as it wasn't skydiving related. In fact, the guy who inspected my plane knew I was a skydiver so he made it a limitation that I could never use it for jumping!

I was at 800 feet AGL. My plane is not a great glider. It will glide about half as far as a Cessna.

dude, cool to hear your alright... was this the plane you built????that was you that finally got your kit plane done right???

Yep, was the one I built. I did finally finish it, after only 5.5 years. I have over 60 hours on it already. I want to get a couple hundred hours on it this year.