freekflyguy

How long would you stay - New Vid

ftp://www.skydivingmovies.com/UPLOADS/Mal.avi worked better for me.
What codec did you use? I can't seem to get anything to play it.

That is a DivX version.

Here is the codec for that file.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec.html

Here is a WMV version of the same.

ftp://www.skydivingmovies.com/UPLOADS/Buzzs Mal.wmv

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

I would have stayed about the same. Nice video

i'm not second guessing anyone here, but am i missing something? even with line twist you can see severe line over. is this something you would try to clear?
namaste, motherfucker.

I would have stayed about the same. Nice video

i'm not second guessing anyone here, but am i missing something? even with line twist you can see severe line over. is this something you would try to clear?

I was fully aware of my altitude,

I was under a low speed mal - on the original footage you can hear my audible going off at 2k as I grab the toggles of the res.

This was my first and so far only mal, and I remember thinking a couple of things.

1. I wanted to make sure I made the best effort to clear the problem, before I went for my last chance.

2. A good friend of mine who is very experienced once said " It aint a mal if the toggles are still on". I know this is not the best piece of advice but at the time I could not work out what the exact problem was, so I spent some time trying to sort it.

If I had been lower, or the canpy had been winding up, once I'd cleared the twists and saw there was still a problem I would have been off it.

I have had severe line twists and know how fast my canopy can wind up.

800 jupms ago I would probably have been off it straight away.

Buzz

ok, i get it now. i did read the post and understood your alti and location, but i am looking at it from the perspective of a dude who had 3 unavoidable cutaways in his first 36 jumps, the first one VERY low. have since logged another 160 without incident [knock on head]

my question still stands, though: is there really a chance to clear that severe of a line over?
namaste, motherfucker.

i would of cut that fucker away as soon as i saw a line over, that shit can fuck up a canopy if you ride it too long. for me, i would of cut away about at 6 or 7, but thats just me.

but what you did was defintally right, nothing wrong with it. you had the altitude, and you tried to fix it, just like you should with a slow moving mal.

later

my question still stands, though: is there really a chance to clear that severe of a line over?

You dont know unless you try, however.

It depends on a number of factors, you altitude, the speed of the mal, and experience.

I would not recomend it as a course of action to a student. If its not BIG, RECTANGULAR or CONTROLABLE, carry out your reserve drills.

Having said that I have seen student not realise they have a line over, carry out their controll checks and clear it.

This is more likely to happen on a large student canopy, but not guarenteed.

buzz