kevin922

Ugh.. i just got off the phone with US Airways...

I know these threads have been brought up over and over again, and how airlines are hit and miss on carrying out rigs.. but I am trying to prepare for my trip to mardi gras boogie and US Airways has the cheapest fare.. so I called US Airways since their website has no info on parachute policies.... talked to the lady.. her first response when I asked about carrying it on was "how big is it" in a very surprised tone, almost as if "of course you should be able to carry it on, unless it's way too big"

i told her it was a standard carry on size but that some airlines have had "issues" in the past. She put me on hold came back and said that you can bring a parachute as long as it doesn't have a "cartridge" now I knew immediately what she was probably talking about, but I played dumb. So she was like "i'm not sure what that is, hold on let me check" she went away and came back and said it had something to do with opening the parachute. I inquired more and she told me I should call the TSA and ask them.

Gave me the number of 866-289-9673.

I'm curious if they have now outright banned AADs from coming on airplanes.

By "cartridge" they generally mean a compressed CO2 cartridge (as in FLOTATION GEAR) and NOT an AAD.
If they ask if your rig contains a cartridge then simply say that it does not contain a compressed CO2 cartridge.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

the cartridge she was talking about is a co2 based device, the cypres does not apply.

Problem more often than not so it seems is they think this "cartridge thingy" applies to anyone who has an AAD in their rig. Either that or it is an "explosive" device.

You know what's weird about Cypres AADs..its not just wuffos that don't understand them. I remember a SKYDIVER on this forum a year ago or so saying he doesn't want a Cypres because "I'm not jumping with a bomb on my back!"

So if even some skydivers don't understand them, how can we convince whuffos?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Something I've taken the practice of is while talking to them, ask them to send a printed explanation of their policy on company letterhead. I've found airlines to be very accepting of this.

Does that apply for US Airways or have you done that with other airlines? I haven't had a problem yet and i boarded 8 planes in the last 2 months. But i'm sure somewhere along the line i'm gonna run into trouble....

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I fly constantly with my rig, being on a demo team I ALWAYS carry my rig, hat & jumpsuit with me...If everything else gets lost I still get a paycheck!
Over the past 20 years there have been but a few instances that questions were raised. In all these instances (always at security) I simply stepped aside and calmly requested to speak with a supervisor, who after a brief explanation always passed me through. The boss knows the drill, the min-wage pinhead hasn't got a clue...
While waiting for a supervisor in Atlanta years ago, Mr. Pinhead explained to me that the "wire in the top end" (pilotchute spring) looked like bomb parts to him and he was going to open and inspect it regardless of what any supervisor told him...I indicated to him that pulling the silver handle would open 'er right up for him...As the "HOT-DOG" hit him in the face, sending his little pinhead glasses flying...the supervisor came up, explaining that by his not waiting for assistance, he would now have to pay for the re-pack!
...I never got a cent, but appreciated the thought!
and remember...it's NOT an AAD, it's an ALTIMITER!
"no more dangerous than the watch on your wrist"

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Talked to TSA.. she talked to her supervisor.. and they came to the concensus that "it's not on the prohibited items list, so you should be able to take it on, however it is up to the screener to determine if it could be used as a weapon" -- *rolls eyes* I then asked something to the effect of, if the screener saw some action movie the weekend before where they used a parachute during some action scene and the screener thought it could be used for such thing -- he could deny me boarding ?

She suggested I print off the approved items list and take it with me.

:D

If questioned, I just tell 'em "It's a computer." Works for me so far.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Yes, the less you say at airports the better.
If they ask about your Cypres, it is an altimeter.
If they ask again, it is an electronic altimeter.
If they ask for more detail, you mumble something about opening the reserve.
If they ask for more detail about how it opens the reserve, you mumble something about a tiny guillotine.
If they ask more about the guillotine, you say that it is electrically activiated.

Usually they will run out of questions before you run out of answers.
The trick is to give them only a little information at a time.
Oh, and customs officers love to use the "embarrassing silence" to extract more information from you. The best solution is quietly wait for their next question.
Many times customs officers have almost gotten to the embarrassing questions, but they ran out of patience before I did.

Hah hah!

It is all a head game when dealing with airport officials. Usually the man with the most patience wins.

Does that apply for US Airways or have you done that with other airlines? I haven't had a problem yet and i boarded 8 planes in the last 2 months. But i'm sure somewhere along the line i'm gonna run into trouble....

Likewise, I've never had a problem that lasted more then two minutes at the x-ray line. I always carry my rig on my back.

I'd like to have the policies printed out and handy just in case I ever need them, as there are enough people having problems that it seems like it might be a smart idea.

Every airline I've asked (so far Delta and USAirways) have been happy to send me one.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.