AggieDave

Very interesting article

Kev, I am pretty impressed that you are a 'liberal' and have the arguments that you do. I think big difference here is where everyone is drawing lines, and what they think are logical boundaries. Honestly, I agree with most of yours.

A few other quotes not to be left out:

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.
Thomas Jefferson

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
Edmund Burke

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.
Edmund Burke

more subtle

And Levin, a happy father and a man in perfect health, was several times so near suicide that he hid the cord, lest he be tempted to hang himself, and was afraid to go out with his gun, for fear of shooting himself. But Levin did not shoot himself, and did not hang himself; he went on living.
Leo Tolstoy

;)

The Clinton administration launched an attack on people in Texas because those people were religious nuts with guns. Hell, this country was founded by religious nuts with guns. Who does Bill Clinton think stepped ashore on Plymouth Rock?
P. J. O'Rourke

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military.
William Burroughs

I gotta get some work done...
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Sorry, every systematic gun confiscation program in history started with registration. Registration don't have a very good track record, so I for one would never be part of it.

So all the stuff about duty, honor and being a good law-abiding citizen is just fluff? You are only obligated to obey the laws you like? Must be nice.

absolutely.

civil disobedience is meaningless if you still toe the line.
I do and will continue to break any law i think is unjust, or does not fit into my personal code. Despite democratic notions to the contrary i am the only one who can judge the right or wrong of my actions. If society does not like them then society can attempt to stop me. Woe to those who's job it is to enforce a law i find to be unjust. some of whom i'm related tooof course they must catch me first :)

Not to resurrect a dead horse, but I thought of this thread today. I visited the AT&T co-loc in Allen, and it had one of those cute little no guns stickers with the words "It is unlawful to carry a firearm on these premisses" I mentioned to my manager about the sign, but his response was the words "Penal Code" made him nervous :)
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlssign.htm With letters one inch tall.

AND places off limit

Title 10 Chpt. 46 § 46.03

A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption
on premises of a correctional facility
on the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event
at a meeting of a governmental entity (meetings or buildings), but according to Sec.46.035.i of the TX code, meetings of government entities have to post the 30.06 sign if they want to ban carry
physical premises of a school or educational institution; premises of a polling place
racetrack; secured area of an airport
courtroom
Public or private premises conspicuously posted with this sign

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/texas

AND you must not carry openly

Title 37 Part 1 Chapter 6 Subchapter D §6.42 Failure To Conceal Handgun

A license holder carrying a handgun must keep the handgun concealed. This restriction does not apply if the license holder displays the handgun under circumstances in which the actor would have been justified in the use of deadly force under Texas Penal Code, Chapter 9. Violation is a Class A misdemeanor under Texas Penal Code, §46.035.
Source Note: The provisions of this §6.42 adopted to be effective January 8, 1996, 20 TexReg 11128.

--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

To add to what Malachi said: It is not unlawful if you accidently display your weapon. Lets say you bend over and the barrel of your weapon becomes visable. Although it is GREATLY frowned upon, it is not illegal. Or what happend to Bruce (a friend of mine), he got out of his car and some how the hammer on his revolver got caught on his jacket and pulled his weapon out of the holster. It fell to the ground, resulting in a lot of stares from the people around him in the parking lot. Although that wasn't good (he scratched his new revolver:P), it wasn't illegal.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It fell to the ground, resulting in a lot of stares from the people around him in the parking lot.

"Oops..." ;) hehehe
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."