cameramonkey

How much email do you forward?

Ok, here's the deal. I am just wondering how many mindless sheep we have in here. After reading the post, you probably wont answer honestly, but you'll know who you are.;)

I am getting sick and tired of having to "reply all" to a forward, telling the group the truth because people are mindlessly forwarding an email along because it LOOKS legit. This mindless use of email of course causes false info to be circulated, and people to believe things that arent true.

Literally 90% (and thats a low estimate) of the emails I get as forwards(chain letters) are outright false. These may seem legit, but can be researched in a matter of seconds thanks to the power of the web.

Come on kids, how in the world is Bill Gates going to send you a check for forwarding a message to 25 of your freinds or more? Does he have your snail mail address? (NO) Does he even know who you are based on an email address? (NO) Can email even be tracked that way? (generally a BIIG NO)(http://www.tafkac.org/ulz/emailtracking.html if you havent seen it)

So before you hit that forward button, double check the validity of what you are sending. The unpolularity you are contributing to is most likely your own.

http://www.snopes.com (the site was unavailable when I wrote this, but is the best out there)
http://www.urbanlegends.com

Sorry if I sound worked up over seemingly nothing, but its honestly VERY irritating to me. I can quickly and painlessly double check a fact before telling the world, why cant anyone else? And why do people insist on beleiving everything that comes in via email, no matter how absurd it really seems when they actually THINK about it for 30 seconds?

/rant
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

My wife was constantly reading me emails or forwarding them. I finally got her attention when I punched up snopes on her computer. Poof, no more forwards, and she replies back to senders with snopes' website and the truth.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Ugh.......>:( If the person doesn't bother to clean up the e-mail and it has all the headers, I don't even bother reading it, it gets deleted right away. It's a waste of my time.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You missed a category... Jokes only!

The forwards that make me laugh are the petitions. I can't imagine that any petition signed on-line can have any influence on anyone anywhere, let alone ANY legal use whatsoever. :D:S:D

And ditto about e-mails that aren't cleaned up. If it's really worth forwarding, it's worth the time to clean it up. Otherwise, do us all a favour and hit delete!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I hate those chain letter, petition and mindless "good friend" type emails! I don't forward them and IF I should happen to get something I do want to forward, I will 'clean it up'! Geez, there is nothing worse than having to clean up an email with hundreds of addresses! I think, that some people don't know how, or won't take the time. I'd like to think they don't know how:S. This is really a pet peeve of mine, especially the chain letter (I've told everyone, they won't get it back), get rich quick, and petitions! Okay, now I feel better.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Those junk email are know as Hoax also.
Like Cameramonkey said always check the validity of the information if you are not sure, but 99% of the time it will be a hoax with the only purpose of increase the internet traffic, and bother the internet community [:/]

--
Renaud SMA #9
"Mind is like parachute. It only functions when it's open."

I know how to delete stuff without even bothering to open it then I go empty my trash can. I have a friend that I never even open her emails. When asked about it she wanted to know why I didn't respond about a party. My response was "You send me so much crap I delete EVERYTHING you send without even looking at it at all." Yes, we still speak but she no longer sends crap.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Another thing I want to rant about......when you send a 'legit' email, requiring some kind of response, and you don't get anything........at least respond so we know you received the email and that it didn't get lost in 'cyberspace' somewhere!

J

if you use outlook express, you can get that semi-automatically. they are called read receipts. when the user opens the message, they are prompted to acknowlege the receipt (if thier mail program supports the standard). then you get a message back saying it was read.

not perfect, but works sometimes.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

I don't send 'crap' email out, nor do I read it. I know Outlook Express has read receipts, but I was just talking about knowing that they received the email. :(I have MSN8 and I hate their new email system, I'm thinking of going back to Outlook Express.

J

If you want to piss me off, forward me a lot of shit to my e-mail. I've been on the Internet since 1990, BBSes before that, more then likely I've already seen you stupid-ass joke or e-mail chain letter bullshit, so its very very annoying when I get it again from people who are new to the internet.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."