goose491

a Canadian Apology to the United States (hillarious)

and in related news...

U.S. paper mocks fans of 'boring' sport
Editor says he couldn't believe anyone would actually watch curling

Zev Singer
The Ottawa Citizen

Last Monday, the sports section of the Los Angeles Times ran this photo -- and made a sweeping generalization about curling in the caption. Houston Mitchell, the copy editor who wrote the caption, said a number of letters have arrived on his desk from curling fans.

Those cutting remarks Canadian leaders have been making about their American counterparts seem to have taken their toll.

After the prime minister's press secretary referred to George W. Bush as a moron and Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish referred to his entire electorate as "those bastards," Americans are fighting back.

They have attacked curling.

The sports pages of the Los Angeles Times ran a photo last Monday from the Brier, which ended yesterday in Halifax. The photo caption, after providing some routine information, went on to add: "No reason was given as to why people are in the stands watching."

Houston Mitchell, the copy editor at the Times who wrote the caption, said a number of letters have arrived on his desk from curling fans.

"I got some letters from people who thought I was making fun of the fact that there were actually people there because no one watches curling," said Mr. Mitchell, who wished to set the record straight.

"I know people watch curling. I just couldn't believe people were there because it's so boring. That's what I was making fun of," he said.

Canadians shouldn't take it personally, he added. "If it was any other boring sport, I would have written the exact same thing," Mr. Mitchell said.

Dale Ness, a member of the Quebec team and one of the curlers in the photo, said yesterday he has become accustomed to Americans' slowness to embrace the sport.

What does he say to people like Mr. Mitchell?

"It depends on how much I've had to drink," Mr. Ness said.

He was not bothered, though.

"If they had a good chuckle, that's good," he said.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Hey Bunkster, love the new avatar by the way, don't knock the curling, its our only chance of Winter Olympic fame. Apart from drugged up slalom people, and nutter eccentrics like Eddie the Eagle.;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

i'm not knocking it at all... i'm not a fan personally, but i wouldn't mind trying it some time. i just thought the last couple of lines were good, they summed up the typical canadian reaction to an american insult.

the avatar is 'scrat' from ice age, i ripped it off the dvd.
MB4252 TDS699

There's kids watching soccer or Amercian Football (which is just soccer with added violence:) that want to be a football/soccer star when they grow up...

What always makes me wonder....would there actualy be some sick, disturbed children that are watching Curling on TV when they are 7 years old, and proudly tell everyone "When I grow up I'm gonna be a world champion curler!!"

SICK!!!?

And scrat (from the extra Ice-Age short on the DVD) is great...I nearly pissed myself during that RW sequence with nuts :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Hey Rhino....

Canadian sniper now holds record for longest range kill... Bested Hathcocks old record by a few hundred meters... I believe an actual quote from some US Army guy in Afgh. was (finding himself in the shit and tossing his better sniper rifle to some Canuck sniper co-located with him), "Here, you know how to use this better than I do"

I think you are a former Marine... you of all people should know that military strength comes more from the heart than the amount of bucks the government throws about....

Your point is??? Help me out here?

You mean like the one your reserve cowboy F16 pilot did on the PPCLI platoon in Afghanistan?

Those pilots are getting fried... Give them a break.. It's not like they have ever seen a canadian vehicle on the battle field.. lol :P

There's kids watching soccer or Amercian Football (which is just soccer with added violence:) that want to be a football/soccer star when they grow up...

What always makes me wonder....would there actualy be some sick, disturbed children that are watching Curling on TV when they are 7 years old, and proudly tell everyone "When I grow up I'm gonna be a world champion curler!!"

SICK!!!?

Well, maybe it is better than growing up saying I want to be illiterate? I never understand these threads especially when they start to jump on traditions. Yeah there are Canadians growing up saying I want to be a world curling champion just like there are Americans growing up saying I want to be a world champion dart player. I think anyone who achieves being a world champion in whatever they do is probably more successful then half the people argueing on these boards.

It's not like they have ever seen a canadian vehicle on the battle field..

[URL "http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/photoarchive/HiRes/070802/AP2002-5561.jpg" ]several Canadian vehicles in Afghanistan[/url]
[URL "http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/photoarchive/HiRes/070502/AP2002-5545.jpg" ]more Canadian vehicles in Afghanistan[/url]
For even more pictures of Canadians doing their thing in Afghanistan, go to http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/find_e.asp
and under "Country" select "Afghanistan".

But discussion of vehicles is moot, since the soldiers were on foot. You might find it interesting that Tarnak Farm was a designated coalition training area.

There is a long history of friendly fire incidents in just about every war there's ever been, well, at least since weapons were invented with an effect range better than that of the Mark I eyeball. I've been very impressed with the cooperation of the US military with the Canadian investigation.

Peter

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

>Editor says he couldn't believe anyone would actually watch curling

We're complaining about curling? This, from a country who has an entire TV channel dedicated to BASS FISHING, and which considers bowling a quite legitimate sport?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

...and a country that considers monster trucks and pro-wrestling as sports. :S

they are entertaining though! i used to spend my snowy sunday afternoons glued to the nashville (now the national) network and i couldn't get over these guys reduced to tears and thanking god because they won a bass fishing tournament!
MB4252 TDS699

"...and a country that considers monster trucks and pro-wrestling as sports. "

:)
What about a little Scottish introspection..

Big hairy men in skirts throwing telegraph poles around, and wee lassies jumping up and down on sharp pointy swords?

B|
American football isn't soccer with violence, its rugby with padding and lots of spare players. Aussie rules football is more like soccer with punches.;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

>they are entertaining though!

Yep. It took me a while to realize that bowling is more an excellent excuse to get together and drink beer than a sport of endurance, skill and conditioning. But hey - we consider NASCAR racing a sport, and some of those guys are far from the traditional image of an athelete.

maybe that's the problem.. we need to more clearly define 'sports'. i think that if there is no risk of death or serious injury, it's not a sport, it's a game, a hobby, or a pastime. ;)

MB4252 TDS699

>i think that if there is no risk of death or serious injury, it's not a
>sport, it's a game, a hobby, or a pastime.

So cocaine users have themselves a sport, but long distance runners and football players just have a hobby . . . hmm, I can see that, but watching drug users on monday nights just sit around on TV would be pretty boring. Unless you have some pretty good commentary - "ooh - look there, Jim! Cheech's head just drooped, and he's drooling again! That's gotta come hard after last week's defeat to the new methamphetamine user from Cincinnati."