Squeak

CD copy control??

if the CD will play you can make a copy of it on a PC.

Actually, no. Ripping a CD (assuming its audio) uses a different process then playing/reading the CD. A few new CDs have copy-protection that's sometimes a bitch to beat.

Squeak,

Do a google search about it with the CD title, I'm willing to bet that someone has cracked that version before and will have info.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>Ripping a CD (assuming its audio) uses a different process then
> playing/reading the CD.

Well yeah, but you can make a .WAV file of any audio source, including a CD. If the CD will play at all you can get its audio. Most rippers support either direct ripping or audio ripping (i.e. playing it as if it was an audio CD, capturing the audio, then creating the .WAV file.) That process also messes with the watermark scheme, where a secret watermark is embedded in the music and read by other CD players to disable/enable play.

A few new CDs have copy-protection that's sometimes a bitch to beat.

Explain please.

Anyone should be able to do a byte level copy of the CD and burn that image onto another CD. The off the shelf CD ripping software may be too complicated to try something this simple, but rawrite or dd ought to work.

Thinking about this, I've never tried to use rawrite or dd to do this, will they work on music CDs?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Hmmm..... Not that I've ever done it, but there's programs that will do a sector for sector copy instead of reading it... supposed to be a mirror image...

Bill, some cd vendors will do whacky things like put a file after the last track or mark it as a bad sector or something like that. The app will look for that

I THOUGHT Nero did sector copies....
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Thinking about this, I've never tried to use rawrite or dd to do this, will they work on music CDs?

That's a good question, I've never tried either, atleast with audio CDs...hmmm.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>Anyone should be able to do a byte level copy of the CD and burn
> that image onto another CD. The off the shelf CD ripping software
> may be too complicated to try something this simple, but rawrite or
> dd ought to work.

The problem is that CD players do error correction that you can't turn off, and even a byte level copy will try to either correct the error or give up and flag the sample invalid. An audio player will then do an interpolation and the result won't be that noticeable, but a byte-level copy will write a 0 to the copied disk (or some other erroneous value.) Some copy protection schemes put intentional errors on their disks, so when played back on audio systems you don't notice much - but on the copy you get annoying clicks.

You can always do an audio copy, though, which (with good equipment) isn't much different from the original, although it is _slightly_ degraded. I think that's why any copy protection scheme out there is ultimately doomed.

Then again...he could be talking about a data CD. In which case, there are a slew of different methods in use. False file sizes, encrypted keys hidden in overburn areas, file encryption tied to the master, etc...

Usually a bit-bit copy with something like Clone-CD will work, but not always.

Two of the more popular encryption schema in use today are StarForce and CrypKey.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

thatnks guys but not one bit of that made sense
I use adaptec CD burner any advice on if it can copy and Ausdio CD with copy protection???
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?