BoobieCootie

America's oddest town names

Here's and interesting read I found on towns with some pretty odd names.

As much as Federal Way, WA sounds alot like some beaurauratic hangout, I'm kind of glad that I don't live in Stuck, WA (NE of Tacoma). Although it'd be really funny to live in a city called Nuttsville, VA:D

I sure hope this isn't an April Fool's joke. Then I am a fool by a factor of 2:S

you want odd town names? check out a mapp of newfoundland sometime. how'd you like to say you were from dildo? or conception bay? or joe batt's arm? :D

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Nope, they're real.

Here we have good old T or C, otherwise known as Truth or Consequences, NM.

Named for the old game show. It used to be called "Hot Springs", but they changed the name to T or C, well...this is from the chamber of commerce website:

Then in 1950, NBC television and radio producer Ralph Edwards, on the 10th anniversary of the Truth or Consequences radio program, called his staff together and said, "I wish that some town in the United States liked and respected our show so much that it would like to change it's name to 'Truth or Consequences.'" On hearing the proposition, the New Mexico State Tourist Bureau relayed the news to the manager of the Hot Springs Chamber of Commerce and the news spread like wildfire.

Here was an opportunity to advertise the city and it's resources free of charge! Better still, no longer was our city to be confused with that "other one" in Arkansas and the others throughout the nation (California alone has more than 30 towns called "Hot Springs").

So, in a special city election, 1,294 of the town's residents voted for the change to "Truth or Consequences." On the other hand, 295 area residents opposed the change and a protest was filed, so the city returned to the polls and again voted- by a margin greater than four to one- to go ahead with the name change.

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

How far is Paradise from Intercourse??

...just a few miles in Pennsylvania. :)
--Art

Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

We have Cooterneck, Bucksnort, and Toad Suck in Arkansas

I believe there's a Booger Hollow, also.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Intercourse, PA and Climax, MI are cool

In England there are some funny ones too - Ugley (home of the Ugley Women's Club), Upper Peeover and Lower Peeover, Cold Christmas and Much Hadham, Christmas Pie (near Guilford).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I grew up near Hicksville, NY. (Billy Joel's from Hicksville but he always claimed he was from Oyster Bay.) It's always fun to listen to the out of towners massacre the indian names we have on long island:

Cutchogue
Patchouge
Yaphank
Ronkonkoma
Matinecock
Mineola