Conscientious Objector

I'm pretty sure he is reserves..

AAaaaaaaaaaahhh! You are right. [:/]

That changes things in my book. Still, not my decision to make. The Corps will deal with him, and justly, I hope.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Lets see, "I'm going to join the most leathal fighting force the US has and I object to war..."

Fucking brain donor. I have no problems with people who are CO's (objectors, not commanders), but why the fuck would you join the military? Get money for school? If you're not willing to fight, then you don't deserve the fucking money. I hope he gets to go to Kansas and work with rocks for a while.

There are many people in the military who do not care for fighting and are not required to fight, Dave. Are you going to tell the military clergy that they don't deserve their money either?

Kris

Kris and Dave, here is a quote that was in the Florida Times-Union next to his picture:

"Ultimately, it's my fault for joining in the first place. They don't really advertise that they kill people."

Any comment I could add would be redundant.:S

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

"Ultimately, it's my fault for joining in the first place. They don't really advertise that they kill people."

Any comment I could add would be redundant.:S

Bwahaha! Now THAT's funny!

Technically, you're right - there is no difference. In a war zone (so says the Geneva Convention) , it doesn't matter if you're a bottle-washer or a rifleman - if you're wearing a uniform, you're considered a combatant and thus fair game, which is why the Convention goes to such lengths to specify protections for non-combatants, and legal punishments for those who violate the Conventions (up to summary execution - if you're caught bearing arms in a war zone whilst wearing civilian clothes or your enemy's uniform).

There is something of a grey area here, and this relates to threads about Iraqis in civvies being treated as spies. Technically, you can be executed if bearing arms in civilian clothes, but if you are in your own country which has been invaded, you could argue that at the time you are a private citizen exercising your right to bear arms. Also, as long as you have pledged allegiance to a state or a military force you don't actually need to wear a uniform, hence most Iraqi soldiers not wearing a proper prescibed uniform. But, like many elements of the Geneva convention, it is open to a number of different interpretations.

This username sucks, so I'm BBKid now instead. Replies, insults, sexual favours and death threats to be sent there from now on.

The point of what I previously posted was refering to the training doctrine of the USMC, that every Marine, no matter who they are and what they will eventually be doing, is trained how to fight. This is because they are a Marine first, then their MOS second. The need may arise for them to take arms during an attack or what ever.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ironic. The US used to be the place where dissent was tolerated, even encouraged; Iraq used to be _____________________________________________
I believe Iraq is the place where they tortured you and kill your family if you dissented.
I would like to know what his job was and if this was a problem with him before they got deployed. Maybe if he had joined the Air Force to fix office equipment, then maybe he could say hey i did not know i was going to be fighting. But the Marines all have a Combat mos as their primary job. :S

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

There was an intel officer (female) who was getting married. When it came time to deploy she screamed "conscientious objector." She said that as a "Christian" she all of a sudden felt wrong about being in a superior position to enlisted men. She didn't think it was right. She also felt that she needed to be a good wife and didn't want to leave her husband so soon after they were married. Well.....needless to say, they make her go although she is stripped her of her job because now she's a security threat and is given some other job. She is really pissed, however, and the good little Christian girl manages to get herself pregnant by an enlisted guy while on the ship and gets her wish by being sent home. She can screw whomever she wants for all I care, but don't join the military if you don't want to serve when you're needed.

Technically, you're right - there is no difference. In a war zone (so says the Geneva Convention) , it doesn't matter if you're a bottle-washer or a rifleman - if you're wearing a uniform, you're considered a combatant and thus fair game, which is why the Convention goes to such lengths to specify protections for non-combatants, and legal punishments for those who violate the Conventions (up to summary execution - if you're caught bearing arms in a war zone whilst wearing civilian clothes or your enemy's uniform).

There is something of a grey area here, and this relates to threads about Iraqis in civvies being treated as spies. Technically, you can be executed if bearing arms in civilian clothes, but if you are in your own country which has been invaded, you could argue that at the time you are a private citizen exercising your right to bear arms. Also, as long as you have pledged allegiance to a state or a military force you don't actually need to wear a uniform, hence most Iraqi soldiers not wearing a proper prescibed uniform. But, like many elements of the Geneva convention, it is open to a number of different interpretations.

On a related note, there have been some reports of Iraqis wearing US or UK uniforms. I hope those get a firing squad.

This is because they are a Marine first, then their MOS second

Actually, that's basic infantryman first, MOS second. No matter what you do, you'll always be a Marine after you cross that parade deck. That can work both ways, unfortunately for the few bad ones who make it through.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

well, there is still time for you to learn first hand, young david.
mike

Well, I had a PLC contract, that's on hold until I can run again. Blew up a knee this summer and am still having problems. Not to mention the weight I've put on since then (stupid, no running) that I now have to loose. It's still a lifelong goal of mine to be one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

you know what bugs me about mr young and stupid here? he's unable to conceive that anyone thinks other than he does.

"I believe that it is impossible to achieve peace through violence," Funk said in a statement released by his lawyer Stephen Collier. "I hope other soldiers will find the courage to follow their beliefs," he added.

they already ARE following their beliefs. thats why theyre in iraq. stupid.
evolution WILL be served, one way or another!!!! im not jumping, im imitating a reluctant meteor.

He didn't write that. I don't care what kind of a douchebag he is, he would not have said "other soldiers" being that he is a Marine.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

>they already ARE following their beliefs. thats why theyre in iraq. stupid.

I know several military personnel either in Iraq or about to go who are very much against the war. They are going because essentially they gave their word they would go where they were ordered to, not because they support the war.

Whether he is following his convictions or just trying to get out of the war, the fact remains that he is still guilty of being UA. If his unit was sent to another base, even stateside, he is also guilty of Missing a Movement, which the Marines take a little more seriously. There is a proper way to apply for CO status, without violating the UCMJ. The Corps could very well approve his application and still throw him in the brig for a very long time.

I wonder if swinging a sledge at a poor defenseless rock also violates his sensibilities?;)

D28695 PoPs #9237
"Mix ignorance with arrogance at low altitude and the results are almost guaranteed to be spectacular"
— Bruce Landsberg

Or fast rope him into the center of Bagdhad with bags of McDonalds hamburgers and a t-shirt that says in arabic "Fuck Saddam" on the front and "Take the laundry off your heads, you bunch of sodomizing pussies" on the back.

mike

Young and stupid is not a defense. The Marine Corp dosen't hide the fact that everyone is a grunt first. This kid knew exactly what he was enlisting for and deserves everything he gets. Dishonorable Discharge and time in the slammer. Maybe he can CO his way out of fighting to survive in the stockade.
Who Dares Wins

I'm not sure how exactly he made it thru boot camp without screaming things like "blood blood blood makes the grass grow" etc..so his argument about "not knowing they kill people" is ludicrous

and he also signed a document on enlistment that said he was not a conscientious objector..

so ok he changed his mind, and would likely be more of a problem than a benefit to any unit he was with so give him a dishonorable discharge (the results of his stupidity should follow him so that any future employers will know exactly what kind of individual they are hiring.

IMO the willing obligation to military service once made should not be relenquished so lightly, wither you disagree with the reasons for war or not. Its not like he was drafted.