Gawain

What started SARS?

Personally, I think containment at a biological lab in China failed. I refuse to believe that there was a leap in the evolution of the virus that may cause the common cold...>:(

...and why does everything cause "flu like" symptoms? I'm not even sure I'd know 'em if I felt 'em... :S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

re: flu

True, but the strains of flu are incremental changes. If they see the basis of SARS as part of the basis of what causes the common cold...so you go from the common cold to "Sudden Acute Respitory Syndrome"? Nature's evolution doesn't typically work that fast.
Make light!

Sure it does!

Hell part of the reason we may never cure the "common" cold is that it mutates almost constantly. All the mutation has to do is simply have a slightly more powerful effect and suddenly it's fatal in 3 percent of everyone that gets it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Okay, I'll accept that. I'm not a biologist. I still think nature had a little "help" in this case though...
Make light!

Clearly it's Saddam! The first case appeared in early February. And what happened on February 5th? Powell's speech at the UN! The first case appeared in China. After doing some research, I discovered that Iraq and China are on the same continent! Clearly it is just another product of his biological weapons laboratories that he's hiding throughout the country.

True, but the strains of flu are incremental changes. If they see the basis of SARS as part of the basis of what causes the common cold...so you go from the common cold to "Sudden Acute Respitory Syndrome"? Nature's evolution doesn't typically work that fast

It is not clear that SARS is caused by an influenza virus. Only that the infection produces flu-like symptoms.

Usually when a new disease seems to our eyes to appear out of nowhere, what actually happened is a virus existed and replicated in very low amounts, and then something changed in the environment to suddenly facilitate its rapid spread. An example: the sudden outbreak of hemorrhagic fever in Latin America during the 1950's and 1960's. It's caused by hantavirus which is spread in mouse urine. Due to the "Green Revolution" in Latin America (an increase in farming technology, machinery, and more productive corn & wheat strains) there were suddenly much more acres of land used for cultivation of grain, and more grain, hence, a sudden mouse population explosion, and more opportunities for the hantavirus to spread. Previously it was around, but just so rare that scientists and doctors hadn't discovered it yet.

This happens and will continue to happen with new diseases in the future. Unfortunately, the public know we now have the technology to manipulate genes & grow microbes. So what that means is that now whenever a new disease pops up, much of the public will start pulling conspiracy theories out of their asses.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Okay, enough about my ass...:P

On another note, why doesn't anyone actively vote on my polls? Most of them net very few votes...I wonder if my being in SoCal with several greenies has anything to do with it... :o:):P

Make light!

I voted for #1.

Although it seems to me that natural evolution and over use of anitbiotic are somewhat anti-thetical; it does capture my view that over use of antibiotics are driving our collective weakness as a species to 'comon viruses'.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

the common flu kills a fair amount of people every year, they are usually the elderly and infants so to my way of thinking, its not a great leap of faith to believe it is a natural mutation, course I am a great believer in conspiracy theorys.......hehehe, lets blame it on saddam!!!!:S

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Could be...

The medical buttheads say it started in China. Chlymidia (sic?) and that damned cold virus, mixed together (for once and for all), is infecting everyone. Yesterday there were 75 cases in the U.S. Now (6 hours ago) there were 115 cases in the U.S. Watch out! Ohhhh. You better start wearing masks, you dorks! Get a life, or as the medical profession says, die.

Most every year, like clockwork, arrives the "flu."

I have never had a flu shot- or seemed to get anything so bad as what I have just got over.
Always figured that it is best to build up your own bodies resistance to these "bugs."

Now my opinion has changed after 2 weeks of hell- then 16 days in the hospital,.. discharged today, and scared shitless. I personally do not want to ever suffer like this again....what happened to March?? Hoping to be strong enough for a skydive soon:P

Whence comes this punctual visitor, so reliable that the calendar can be minutely corrected based on the predictability of its arrival?

In the recent past, rhythmic flu arrivals were named, as are hurricanes. There was the "Hong Kong Flu," the "Malaysian Flu," the "Asian Flu." The names hinted that the virus originated in the orient???

Sure makes me wonder about SARS....

Smiles;)

eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

I am laughing my ass off right now. I am laughing because I ampretty sure you are kidding around. :ph34r:

However, in the future can you please put a smiley face at the end so I know. Because if you are being serious... well... I wouldn't know what to say.

Personally, I think containment at a biological lab in China failed.

Even though the SARS outbreak is a major problem, we need to keep in mind that it only has a 4% mortality rate. In Toronto, for example, where 147 were diagnosed with it, all but seven are recovering.

A 4% mortality rate is pretty lame for a biological weapon, so I doubt this is the product of a hidden weapons program.

The region in China this came from has literally billions of people living in near unimaginable levels of poverty.

There are major cleanliness and sanitation issues, with people living very close togeather. It is a textbook case of an environment that breeds disease. I'm surprised we haven't seen more nasty bugs from that region.

We should also put the "common cold" factoid into perspective. The "Common Cold" isn't a virus, or single bug - infact there are 7 bugs that cause the "common cold". The cold is really one of seven different viruses. SARS is similar to one of these.

Why does everything cause "flu" like symptoms? Simple - raising the body temperature, coughing, running nose, are all a lot more then symptoms. They're not even effects of the bug, as much as they are mechanisms in which the body fights viruses.

Many diseases have "flu like symptoms", because "flu like symptoms" are the methods the body uses to fight viruses.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Personally, I think containment at a biological lab in China failed.

A 4% mortality rate is pretty lame for a biological weapon, so I doubt this is the product of a hidden weapons program.

I didn't intend to infer it was solely a weapons lab, it could've been a legitimate research facility et al... I'm simply suggesting that someone didn't wear a mask or turned on a fan or who knows...
Make light!

I would have voted for #1 but I don't think antibiotics encourage virus evolution...they don't have any effect on viruses at all...

It it was tuberculosis (caused by drug-resistant bacteria and spreading out of control in eastern europe) you'd have gotten my vote.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Clearly it's Saddam!

Yes, It's Saddam & China & North Korea... All at the instigation of the French:D.

The evidence is incontrovertible. Not only is "Sars" a particularly french sounding name, but France, having failed moserably in recent years to surrender to progressively smaller countries, up to & now including Iraq, and that wee devil of the coalition (Moldovia), has now developed a micro-organism so agbressive that surrender to is can be made without loss of face. What's the betting that if you cultured this organism, it would be immediately destroyed by pouring crap red wine onto it by a surly garlic-smelly waiter in a greasy striped apron! I bet CDC haven't tried that test on the virus:D. Also notice that Sars has absolutely no effect on snails of truffles. It does not cause frogs to lose their legs.

I rest my case.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.