Boomerdog

Helmets

My wife and I will begin AFF training mid June and hopefully have "A" license by end of September just in time to jump on our 30th wedding anniversary. At this point, I'm not ready to commit to buying any gear yet. I've talked to instructors at our chosen DZ and they say wait till 4th/5th jump on to begin buying gear, altimeter, suit, helmet etc...rig much much later down the road.

I see a lot of helmets both open face and closed face. A few of the closed face helmets have excellent peripheral vision and I'm only considering closed face, no attachment mounts (I'm a few thousand light years away from even thinking about attachments like a Go Pro) Intuitively, it would seem that the closed face helmets provide a better degree of protection to the full face and head. At the same time, full face might have at least two drawbacks. First, if one is claustrophobic, a full face helmet might not be good. The other concern is restrictive fresh breathable air flow which might induce a semi hypoxic or total hypoxic condition in which the effects range impairing judgment and situational awareness to loss of consciousness. I welcome comments. Admittedly, there's so much I don't know but just trying to get some answers and thoughts from those more experienced than i.

Best Regards,

B'Dog

Hypoxia due to helmets being too enclosed is not something I've heard of. Claustrophobia can be gotten over if it's not severe, and if the helmet is chosen carefully (it should be anyway). Your best bet is to keep using the DZ's gear while you're on student status, until you see something that really seems to make sense to you. And you guys might not choose the same type of helmet -- the head shape really matters.

So keep learning, ask people why they chose what they did, and take the opportunity to try things on. All of these things are done more easily at the end of the day when things are slower, and when you're hanging around talking to people...

wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Other possible full face drawbacks? Lens fogging - being able to see is a good thing while skydiving. Pretty much every full face lens out there will fog up in certain conditions. Lens cost and local availability and how much of a hassle it is to remove and replace are other factors to consider.

The biggest drawback to full face helmets is that you can't do a kiss pass while wearing one.

And you can't hear or speak as well in a full face helmet as in an open face. Being able to yell to get attention to someone near you under canopy who is otherwise oblivious can be a a life saver.

And ditto on the fogging issue. I believe England requires at least a hundred jumps to jump a full face.

Less wind noise.
Calmer environment.
No need for goggles.
Jumping in cold weather is FAR more pleasant.
Protection against face strikes.

New designs have stronger face shields and are easily opened during climb and under canopy to deal with fogging issues.

Choose a good one and you won't regret it.
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

Ive only jumped one actual skydiving helmet, the Bonehead Revolve. I love it though, great field of view, no fogging, and you actually have two helmets in one, the whole front piece/face shield comes off and then you have an open face. So best of both world in my opinion.
Jack of all trades.
Military Free Fall Jumpmaster.
USA Static-line Jumpmaster.

I believe England requires at least a hundred jumps to jump a full face.

B license (so at least 50), but your point definitely stands :)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Check out the Bonehead Revolve, as previously mentioned. It's a bit claustrophobic, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Won't fog. VERY comfortable in the air--sit flying is a whole new (pleasant) experience. Won't work if you have a big nose; the visor is very close to your face. Also it is a little clumsy to get the visor up while wearing gloves. Of course, there is no problem landing with the visor down.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I have the Bonehead Havok (gen 1 to the Revolve), and noticed my last jump in NE was fogging up pretty bad. Likes others have said, it might have been those particular conditions.

Also, if you are looking to get a full face because you wear glasses, make sure you bring them with you when you try them on! I had to go through a bunch of options before finding one that didn't mash them into my face.