chileanXaos

Jumping from a gyrocopter

I read the problem of the ppo ,and I think that to have problems jumping from it , you should go to the zero load of the rotor , and my friend that would drop me , is a lot heavier than me , so zero g would not be possible.
I will wait and get informed , and then decide .

thanks guys if I jump from it , i will take pics;)

Hi guys , I have a question , has anyone jumped from a two place Gyrocopter . I have like 30 jumps from different kind of ultralights , but the pilot of the gyro , told me that could be dangerous because of the weight shift.
Please share your experiences .

B|

I have flown a gyrocopter and IMO it would be a pretty damn stupid idea.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yes, it can be done.
I've never seen one built for a person wearing a rig.
No, you probably won't find anyone willing to let you jump their gyro.
No, you can't jump mine.
Yes, if you get the chance to fly in one, do it.
ask the pilot to fly you down a river below the trees and go under a bridge.
Here's my latest(4th)one

Yeah....I've seen a couple of gyro's end up as a pile of nuts and bolts.......and that was after "normal" flights........why would you want to jump one though????...especially with that spinning mincer at the back.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Ending up with a pile of nuts and bolts is as normal as bouncing.

I've only buried one gyro pilot, while I've buried twentysix jumpers.

Spinning mincer is just a pusher prop.

You throttle back before exit. or even shut the engine down and landing dead stick is easy and common in a gyro. Jumpers dead stick all the time and don't think anything of it.

It's no weirder than jumping with your wing packed in a bag on your back.

It's not nearly as bad as a one chute base rig.

As a gyro pilot and a jumper I've gotten used to being an outcast of the fringe of aviation, but most jumpers are open minded about things like gyros.

Sometimes at work I ride jumpseat in Boeing 777's . When the 777 pilot's think I'm crazy
I just remind them that they'er flying a fly-by-wire airplane with no ejection seat.

gyros don't/can't stall.

However, Don't get into an RAF gyro unless it has a really big horizontal stablizer on it.

Almost all gyros are homebuilt and they might be less safe than the Cessnas and Otters that we're used to .

don't die , have fun

Well then I've seen a couple of Gyro's bounce then....they were homebuilts.....maybe that explains it....kinda like building your own parachute on mums sewing machine I suppose......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Until just a few years ago you could not get paid for giving flight instruction in a experimental aircraft in the U.S.

Now that that has changed you can get dual time in a gyro.

Gyros have built in traps for fixed wing pilots. I.E.
If you'er 200ft in the air nose high showing zero airspeed, how do you recover.

If you answered "push the stick fwd, you just died.

First thing you must do is throttle back to idle.

Not too many fixed wingers can do that even if they read it in "how to fly a gyrocopter"

So now you make a parachute with mom's sewing machine and read a book "how to skydive" and you go for it. what are your chances?

Well then I've seen a couple of Gyro's bounce then....they were homebuilts.....maybe that explains it....kinda like building your own parachute on mums sewing machine I suppose......

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Off topic ...

Hey!
I resemble that remark, having sewn a couple of kit parachutes on a light-weight Pfaff 230, home sewing machine. I put 250 jumps on the first canopy before I admitted that a 210 square foot, F-111, 7-cell was too small for my expanding posterior.
Then I made another 350 jumps on a 220 square foot, F-111, 9-cell, kit parachute before F-111 fabric fell out of fashion.

Good Lord! I thought jumping from a 182 was scary, vibration-wise. Did you see how much his hand was vibrating while he was climbing out?

Not much room for error. Looks like a bigger-than-normal gyro; maybe that's more stable?
T.I.N.S.