riddler

Jeff Sands

Jeff Sands, owner of [url "http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Detailed/197.html"]Mile-Hi Skydiving [/URL] center in Longmont, Colorado was killed today in a small airplane crash. The incident was not skydiving related.

Jeff was at the dropzone this morning and I talked to him. He was in good spirits and gave me a personal report on density altitude and advice on a new rig that I am jumping. He later took a ride with a friend at the same airport in a two-seat Pitts Special bi-plane (aerobatic). The plane crashed at about 2 PM about 20 miles north of the dropzone in the town of Berthoud.

Jeff was an accomplished skydiver and well-known member of the community, recently participating in the world-record 300-way formation jump in Eloy.

Our best wishes for his family and friends, many of them who post here on dropzone.com.

Edited to add some news reports:

http://news4colorado.com/colorado/CO--PlaneCrash-dn/resources_news_html

http://9news.com/storyfull.asp?id=13762

I just read it in the incident reports ... very sorry to hear. It's been a tough month for eveyone, wish his friends and family the best!

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

I did not post in Incidents because this was not a skydiving related incident. But I think those that have been in the sport for some time realize how big of an impact that this will have on the Colorado community, and on the skydiving community as a whole. Other questions I can PM on, but I'm not the first source of information, so I don't know a lot more than what I've already stated. There are a lot of rumors and confusion right now and I don't want to contribute to that in this public forum.

I had my personal feelings about Jeff, but I respected him very much as a skydiver, and he was with me on more than a few jumps, including AFF jumps and proficiency jumps. He ran an outstanding dropzone and introduced many people to the sport. In the end, he was part of our family, so best wishes to everyone.

Blue ones, Jeff.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Michael - we thought this at first, but the owner of the Pitts is not Jim. Mustard says that the Boulder daily news has reported the passenger as Jeff and the pilot as someone else.

Edit:
Thanks Michael - the pilot was Thomas Earl Bullington.

Thanks Phil...it's been a bit hard as info coming to me is a bit slow right now. I need to know any memorial details so I can book a ticket to get back.
btw, KMGH updated their story and included names: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/2161821/detail.html

I had replied with the same question under the 'Incidents' report, but I thought this might be a better place for it. Does anyone know if there is a possible future for Mile High Skydiving, or is this the end of the drop zone as well?

Stacy called me today, and it seems that Jeff's family is holding some kind of service at the DZ on Saturday. I'm sorry that I will be out of town and miss it. [:/]

For those asking about how and what will happen to the DZ, we need to wait and see what Jeff's will stated. For those of us that have had to deal with wills and estates, it can sometimes take months.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

For those asking about how and what will happen to the DZ

Without trying to contribute too much to rumor and speculation, I think, and I think a lot of others also think, that the DZ was already being managed and run by good people that *could* easily continue to run an operate the DZ, if they are allowed to.

Jeff was a very smart businessman and that led a lot of others to dislike him in many ways. He was smart enough to recognize good employees and he made sure those people were in a position to operate the DZ without him. I personally hope that is allowed to happen.

FlyAngel - are you going to Skyventure with the others on Saturday? I hope you have fun, whatever you're doing.

FlyAngel - are you going to Skyventure with the others on Saturday? I hope you have fun, whatever you're doing.

Nope, I was just there last weekend. This next trip takes me to Texas for the Cancer Survivor jumps, and the Texas POP's record. Ya know me, need another World Record under my belt.:)
BTW, before I leave town I'll p.m. you the details I found out about the tunnel in Colorado.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

On April 26th 2003 Colorado skydivers lost a leader. Those that were there at Mile-Hi on that day, learned of Jeff's passing in an eeire mood. The buzz of the King Air was replaced with clamour of the wake. Many friends and fellow jumpers gathered around to pose on Jeff's favorite wingless chariot to say goodbye for the first time.

Blue skies Jeff.

Damn.[:/] Jeff got me stoked about jumping, helped me get through AFF in about 4 weeks, sold me my first rig, and I gotta say - Mile Hi has the prettiest free-fall view around. My wife and I haven't been back for a few years, but we wish Jeff's friends and family all the best.

CZ

Ian

Thanks for the pics link. I'll check them out more closely later when I'm at work. :) Hope to see you and everyone else jumping at Mile-Hi again soon. ;)

Blue Skies Jeff ... and how could I forget ... we all love you Holly

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

A recent announcement from the manager at the dropzone:

The family wishes to let Jeff's legacy to continue so Mile-hi Skydiving will continue as well.

The details of that statement will probably take some time to sort out. I'm sure we'll find out more at the memorial.

On April 26th 2003 Colorado skydivers lost a leader. Those that were there at Mile-Hi on that day, learned of Jeff's passing in an eeire mood. The buzz of the King Air was replaced with clamour of the wake. Many friends and fellow jumpers gathered around to pose on Jeff's favorite wingless chariot to say goodbye for the first time.

Blue skies Jeff.

Awesome pics Ian. I'm glad you were there and I look forward to seeing you again at Mile-Hi and doing some jumps with you. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Thanks for posting these pics, Ian.

I never met Jeff, but the more I read, the more I hear, and the more I see....the more I know we lost a good man.

We are all here for a little while. Let those around you know how special they are today. For tomorrow may be too late.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

As the cheif ground crew person for all of Jeff's demos, I have spoken with the other members of the team and they want to do all the normal demos, especially now more than ever. We are deciding, as a team, who will fill the role of flying the flag. Nobody can fly it like Jeff did, and it will be difficult to see it flown by someone else. Frank, myself, and the rest of the team are in the process of making sure that things continue as they normally would.

Stacey
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me