dmcculloch

new vs second hand main

Hi all.
I have been doing a fair bit of research and found that for my first rig I would like to have a Storm 190 main. Brand new these are $1930. I have seen one second hand Storm Size: 190 dom 04/2010 Jumps: ~300 for $1500. Is $400 less for a main that is 2 years old and 300 jumps and not preferred colours worth the saving. Both mains require that I pay for the shipping. I am not sure on how this gear depreciates in value.
Thanks

I went through this recently as well, this helped me out a lot:

http://www.chutingstar.com/expertadvice_en/buying-gear/43-gear-price-comparison-info.html

The general rule is $1 to $2 off per jump, depending on wear and DOM.

Also, ChutingStar has an escrow service that rocks for used gear purchases! It is well worth it, if you need someone to inspect the gear and make your purchase safer.

The depreciation on a canopy is not linear. At $1 or $2 per jump, the canopy would be wothless in 1000 to 1500 jumps, and that's not the case. The new canopy will depreciate significantly right out of the box based on your colors. Nobody will pay you full price for a new 0 jump canopy in your colors when they can just order their own colors for the same price.

Buy the used canopy. You're not going to keep it forever, and the colors shouldn't be a big concern. You'll spend less money upfront, lose less money when you sell it, and it will be far easier to pack.

A brand new 190 can be tough enough to pack that, depending on the size of the bag, I would suggest you have a better chance of packing yourself a mal. It's tough to control all of that slippery fabric, and your odds of screwing it up putting in the bag go way up when the canopy it that new.

Also, look for a Spectre 190 as well. They've been around longer and you might be able to find one for less money that will be even easier to pack.

I think that for a first canopy, the exact model is less important than getting the right size. If a 190 puts you at a reasonable WL, then exactly which moderate z-p 7-cell you jump isn't going to make a big difference.

Find a cheaper canopy, and spend the difference on jumps, that will make the most difference of all. What you really need at this point is experience, and that will serve you far better than a shiny new canopy vs. an older one.

Bear in mind that a main with a couple of hundred jumps or more on it will be significantly easier to pack than a new one. This is a real consideration at your stage of the game.

this is the truth!! i got a main with 100 jumps or so on it and it takes me 3 to 4 times as long to pack it as anyone else in the area. A little of this could be my level of experience but, even when i paid a packer he takes twice as long as a "broken in" rig.

Also doing some other research specters are a tad bit harder to pack it seems... Or at least a few people said so on the canopy reviews.
Cheers

Jon W

Also consider that at 9 jumps, 'research' means NOTHING. Ask your instructors what they think of that canopy, or anyone else around your DZ that flies one. THEN demo the canopy. Put maybe 10 or 20 jumps on the canopy you're considering. You might not like the way it flies/flares/opens, and then you're stuck selling a brand new main for way less money. Once you know for sure that's the canopy for you, in a size that's appropriate, then you should be ok to move forward with the purchase.

Good luck & Blue skies!!
PULL!! or DIE!!

Bear in mind that a main with a couple of hundred jumps or more on it will be significantly easier to pack than a new one. This is a real consideration at your stage of the game.

this is the truth!! i got a main with 100 jumps or so on it and it takes me 3 to 4 times as long to pack it as anyone else in the area. A little of this could be my level of experience but, even when i paid a packer he takes twice as long as a "broken in" rig.

Also doing some other research specters are a tad bit harder to pack it seems... Or at least a few people said so on the canopy reviews.

I'd just check the recent packing threads around for tips. ;)

I've bought four main canopies in my skydiving career. Only one of them was purchased brand new, and that was the third one I bought after having two used ones. And I only bought that one new because I fell in love with something new to the market, so there wasn't anything used at the time. Loved it so much I bought a second one (used) two years later when I was putting together my second rig.

The two other used canopies I bought (Spectre & Pilot) both held their value pretty well - the depreciation in the time between buying and selling worked out to be between $.25 and $.35 a jump. I don't expect that from the one I bought new, should I ever sell it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

demo the canopy. Put maybe 10 or 20 jumps on the canopy you're considering. You might not like the way it flies/flares/opens, and then you're stuck selling a brand new main for way less money.

I would disagree with this advice for a student buying their first rig. Keep in mind that telling a student/newbie to 'just put 10 or 20 jumps' on a demo is a tall order. Things move a little more slowly when you're new and trying to put together a rig, and making 10 to 20 jumps on a demo is a huge obstacle, and will only further slow the process.

I would suggest that the size is the most important feature for a new jumper, and then being easy to pack next on the list. With only 10 or 20 jumps to their name, split up between a variety of student canopies, they don't even have a solid frame of reference with which to anaylze a demo canopy.

The better advice is to look for a cheapo used canopy in the right size. Get a rig together, get your license then make 40 or 50 jumps on it. Get used to jumping in general, packing, and working with your own rig. Then, if you feel the need, demo some other models and see if anything is better enough than what you have to warrant a change. If so, sell your cheapo for about what you paid, and buy another used canopy.

For experienced jumper, yes, I agree with the demo program. It's a good way to learn about different canopies and see what the market has to offer. If a student is fortunate enough to jump at a DZ with a gear dealer who does demos, or at a boogie with demos available, sure they should take advantage of the opportunity, but for an average student at an average DZ, it's just more hoops to jump through at a time when they don't need the additional hoops, and really won't get that much out of it.

I bought a brand new rig for my first. I had just gotten my A lic. I talked to my instructors and other experienced jumpers. I decided that I wanted a 210 Saber2. I was impatient and didn't look very long before I just went and ordered the new gear. I was nervous about buying something used and not having enough knowledge to know if I was getting a good gear on quality gear. So I can tell you exactly what has been done to my gear and how it has been taken care of. The price was expensive, but if you can afford it, then the peace of mind might be worth the price. I don't have a lot of experience in packing, and i have to admit that I struggle packing it. The guys at the DZ usually get a good laugh out of watching me "stuff" it into the bag, but I don't think i would change my mind. I will jump it for a couple of years and I might downsize to a 190.

Best of luck in your decision.