DTOXX

Bungie jumping stats?

I have searched the DZ forum for some Bungie Jumping stats to no avail. I have found the following thread but there was nothing on bungie jumping...

I have a friend/coworker who refuses to think about skydiving but has bungie'd TWICE. Any help would be great.

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

Looking for death/participate ratio (or incidents per number of "jumps")

man
i dont have a statistic but the ratio is pretty OK
i heard about just one fatality in my country and not very much inidents around the world
this "sport" it`s pretty safe
but how u know u can die on the streets shout by an idiot
so dont walk on the street
go and jump
in the air r less idiots with guns

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

I did see a bungee fatality page a while back. There was LOTS on there - mainly stupid things like "bungee not attached properly", or "wrong length bungee"

Well, if you think about it..... Turn too low to the ground probably seems like a stupid mistake to most people.

I did see a bungee fatality page a while back. There was LOTS on there - mainly stupid things like "bungee not attached properly", or "wrong length bungee"

i say it`s a pretty safe "sport" if u do it with ur head not with ur ass[:/]

first thing before u jump check ur gear check u and check the guys who assist u
sorry for my "bad english" but english is not my mother language

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

10 years ago people in Cleveland died doing a reverse bungee jump where they were held as the line was brought tight, they clipped the crane on the way up..:P

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I did two out of hot air balloons without being killed.

Enough people did get killed doing them that way that it is now illegal.

That was in the 1980's.

Perhaps we should combine the sports, bungee out of a balloon @ altitude then cutaway from the bungee into freefall that would rock!

I called the bungee jumping place in Orlando a few months ago, and they said they were out of the business and were now only doing the sky flying type thing where you just kind of swing in the sky. I think I remember the reason being because the insurance rates were too high.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I called the bungee jumping place in Orlando a few months ago, and they said they were out of the business and were now only doing the sky flying type thing where you just kind of swing in the sky. I think I remember the reason being because the insurance rates were too high.

didn't the guy who designed the skyventure wind tunnel come up with that skycoaster contraption?

didn't the guy who designed the skyventure wind tunnel come up with that skycoaster contraption?

I don't know, but I did see it playing on a tv when I was at the tunnel the other day. I have no idea who I talked to when I called the bungee place that was listed in the phone book.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

did you see the special on the guy that did a bungee and cut it away right at full estension/tension and walked away from it.? that was cool

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I immediately thought that the 3-ring cutaway system used on tubes attached to feet would work perfect!

I dont think so.. while you´ll cut the line as your headding upagain(unless the guy in the ballon wants to be a "line catcher"/meaning death..or atleast suvir damege..
If you want to do it you would like a cut system that dont need any force to release(while when you will cut you should be in 0 g)..

It has been done and awsome video follows it..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

did you see the special on the guy that did a bungee and cut it away right at full estension/tension and walked away from it.? that was cool

No but i've thought about that seems relatively safe if you do it at the right time.. and there is an airbag :)

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but maybe it'll help you win your case. :)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Perhaps we should combine the sports, bungee out of a balloon @ altitude then cutaway from the bungee into freefall that would rock!

Actually, another combined skydive/bungee jump I saw was really stupid. Two guys attached themselves together with a bungee cord and jumped out of the plane. They took it to terminal, then one guy deployed:S. Of course, the cord couldn't hold up to the massive force of slowing someone down from terminal so it broke. The bungee snapped back, knocking out one of the jumpers (not sure what one). The one guy who was still conscious flew in a CRW formation (feet through the risers) with the other guy and steered both canopies to the ground at the same time. They landed in that formation. The guy who got hit with the bungee had a few broken bones after this stunt.
Flying Hellfish #470

That has been done, somewhere in central CA in the early 90's. I did several bungee jumps back then with the guys who did the Rebok commercial (showing two bungee jumpers going off a bridge and only the guy with Reboks coming back up - it was pulled of course because some people were concerned with someone trying it and getting hurt). Any way, these two guys did a bungee jump out of a balloon around 7K or so, with 500 ft bungee cords which then stretched to 1000 feet. Once the bungees stopped jerking around, they then cut the cords and skydived down to about 3K and then pulled. It was in a story in Outside magazine.
When I did my bungee jumping it was illegal (early 90's) and we did it off of bridges in Sonora and Angels Camp in the Sierra foothills. 100 ft jumps, nothing big. We were going to do the Golden Gate bridge with these guys but they got busted by the FBI (since it was national landmark) and were threatened with serious consequences. They stopped that. I only recall one injury with the group that ran our jumps and that was a broken arm due to one guy no paying attention to how he was told to jump. Later on, lots of people started running bugee jumping trips and didn't know what the were doing which is when the death/injury rates started going up. Bungee jumping was fun but no where near the adrenaline rush you get from skydiving and no where the skill involved.

Bungee jumping was fun but no where near the adrenaline rush you get from skydiving and no where the skill involved.

I don't know about all of that. I've done bungee jumps twice, (in zambia, which added a whole new fear into the equation: is anything safe in zambia? haha)

The ground rush you get while bungee jumping is amazing, and I rank the adrenaline rush right up there with skydiving. However, you are very correct in that skydiving takes a lot more skill.

I really wouldn't think bungee jumping outta a balloon would be that much fun... not as much ground rush as a bridge.

just my 2 cents.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I did two out of hot air balloons without being killed.

Enough people did get killed doing them that way that it is now illegal.

That was in the 1980's.

Wouldnt that be more like BASE jumping without a bungie cord?

My first bungie jump was out of a hot air balloon - it was the scariest moment of my life up til then. (second scariest was jumping out of a plane with a board on my feet for the first time!)

I've seen made about 30 bungie jumps, many catapault style, frequently highly inebriated. :$

Not much skill involved unless you count learning to grab the cord at the right time so you can do a couple of flips on the way back up. Style points kinda max out right there.

I've never gotten hurt and never seen anyone get hurt jumping bungie - just had a lot of fun doing it. Anyone up for a renegage bridge bungie in So Cal? I'll bring the beer! :D

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch