degeneration

Changing canopy to a more responsive one.

Asking for a friend (he doesn't have an account on here).

He's currently flying a Pilot 170, and has pretty much only flown Pilot's since his early days of jumping. He's looking to try out a more responsive, zippier canopy in the same size, rather than downsizing.

What canopies are worth considering?
His WL is about 1.2-1.25 or thereabouts.

Cheers.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Cheers for that. Will pass the info on.

Are the likes of Stiletto's or other fully elliptical canopies decent at that size/WL, or are they best used at the higher WLs?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Pretty sure a JVX will not quite be the sort of canopy he's looking for!

Experience wise he's on circa 300 jumps, the vast majority of which have been on Pilots.

He's wanting to get a canopy that is a bit faster and more responsive than his Pilot, but not being stupid about the choice.

I don't have experience of canopies other than Pilots, so have no advice to give, hence me asking the question on here for him. He's simply looking for other sensible options for canopies to try out, demo etc, so that he can make his own choice.

Now knowing his jump numbers, I would say his best way forward is probably a slightly smaller Pilot.

Stilettos and Crossfires and (yikes) Katanas and (yikes) Mambas are probably still not a great idea at this point, even (comparatively) big ones.

In that kind of size, Sabre2s are (IMO) less responsive than Pilots, though he might try one anyway.

The Pilot is, for its class, very agile. And something out of its class is debateable at 300 jumps, though I realise I come in near the conservative end of this discussion. YFMMV.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Depending on person's jump numbers, look into a Nitron.

I still think my Safire2 169 flies better and has nicer openings than the Nitron 170.

That being said, I wouldn't be broken hearted to have either in my container.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Haven't had the chance to try the Safire2. I have a Nitro/n 150 & 135. I like them in my belly rig, but still have a Sabre1 in my WS rig. The wonderful soft opening of the Nitron is just a bit too slow for my taste in a WS.

I did have the opportunity to demo a Cayenne Light from Firebird. Very nice canopy. Very similar to Safire2/Nitron in the soft on heading openings. Has a flat glide for those long spots, a light elliptical planform for responsive turns. Uses a low bulk fabric so it packs about one size smaller. Has excellent response throughout the toggle stroke with lots of flare power on the bottom end to really shut it down.

The demo fleet is in Eloy.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

It was a joke, emphasizing how inappropriate the question was, as stated.

More seriously, what does he want in a canopy, and why? Few canopies designed to be operated at that wingloading will be more responsive than a Pilot, but a Sabre2 will definitely dive harder and longer, depending on what you mean by "more responsive"

Maybe he should fly the same pilot, while wearing 6-10 kg of lead?
Brian

Maybe he should fly the same pilot, while wearing 6-10 kg of lead?

I will not mention that one to him, as I already have to wear 12lbs to keep up with him!! I don't want any more!

As for what he wants - the general impression I got was that he wanted something that was a bit faster in flight. Faster turning and quicker to respond to toggle stroke. I just get the impression he's finding his Pilot 168 not as enjoyable any more, so is wanting to move up a level to bring the fun back. I think he has done a canopy course or two.

I think I put him off sticking with a Pilot and downsizing to a 150. I relatively recently went from a Pilot 150 to a 132, and haven't noticed that much of a difference in my general flight. Yes it is a little faster in turns, but other than that nothing that notable different about it that I could tell. I'm still enjoying it though. So because of my experience, I think he is expecting the 150 to not quite be at the performance he's wanting. Will still tell him to try one if he can, just to be sure though.

That's why he's looking for a more sporty, aggressive canopy of the same size rather than a smaller canopy.

Will tell him to whore himself around all the 170s that he can find, borrowing kit where he can to get some experience on as many canopies as he can.