DYEVOUT

Gear Jammers - Clutch or Neutral?

This little poll was inspired by a ridiculous accident that I witnessed during my lunch time constitutional on Friday.

While walking past a busy intersection in town, I noticed a particularly sharp black '86 or '87 Monte Carlo SS sitting at a red light, waiting for it to change. Before the light changed, the retard behind the SS guy - who had been at a complete stop - chirps the tires, and slams his piece of shit (old, rusty LUV truck) into the pretty Monte's ass.

The moron then proceeds to get out of his pretendatruck, and explain to the very pissed owner of the Monte with the newly mangled trunk lid - "Oops, sorry, my foot slipped off the clutch".

I walked over and gave SS guy a business card, and explained that I had seen the accident - and would be his witness if El Douchebag tried anything funny.

How many manual transmission owners actually drive that way? Aside from the obvious safety advantages of knocking the vehicle out of gear, holding the clutch in for extended periods subjects the throwout bearing to unecessary wear and heat.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

i hate when that happens!

my other pet peeves, people who leave there foot on the clutch, and those that use the left foot on the brake of an automatic. ya can just smell the brake shooes burning up:|

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

What a schmuck-

I've been driving standards for many years- And I still have a satndard. And of course the Sporty is a standard, too. I usually put it in neutral at lights, unless I know it's gonna be a short one- Extends the life of the throwout bearing. On the bike, it's easier on the muscles in my left hand and fore arm.

The yutz in the LUV had no other explanation for a dumb mistake. He took his foot off the clutch without being in neutral. OOOPS! Guess what dude, you must now pay the price for not keeping your wits about you!

Easy Does It

I kinda use to clutch both ways, but i usually as i'm slowing down put it into neutral before i'm stopped. I worked my way through college driving a gravel train. Talking about having a huge left leg, 13 speeds and all. P.S. keeping the clutch pedal in doesn't wear out the throw-out bearing on the newer cars, but it did on the older ones, so i'm told by one of the engineers that designed them.

Well you kinda left one out for the poll the one of "I leave it in gear and ride the clutch when stopping for a red light." Thats the one for me.;)

- GQ

... it was the love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation of beauty ...
-Charles Lindberg

Yea... Lights that just turned red I take it out of gear. Lights that I "think" are going to be green soon I just hold in the clutch. But, I've been driving stick shifts ever since I got my license and I have only had my foot slip off the clutch once. It was in my drive way after I had washed it. Yes wet feet. But anyway, the car moved maybe 6 inches and then died. Best bet either way, don't stop so close to the car in front of you at red lights. :)

-Kenny

It depends on how long I think I'll be stopped but more often than not I just hold in the clutch.
I also use the handbrake (parking/ emergency brake) so that's when I throw it in nutral. I did have someone tap me in the same way but no damage was done.

David