Throttlebender

Infinity Black Hardware

I liked how it looked, and it wears ok. Expect that the coating wears with use, so the look will change.

Do NOT put it on a pond rig. It is not friendly to a humid environment or wet conditions. Get it wet and the hardware is likely to pick up a patina of rust.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Good tip on the water. Thanks.

Yeah, I like the looks and reputation of these rigs. I'm currently wearing an Icon that's a bit small for me, but I actually like several of it's design features.
Thinking I'll buy myself something custom at the end of this next season and I'm pretty certain it will be one of the two.
I love the way the black looksB|

Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

I love the way the black looks

Krip made a fair point about black webbing and black hardware. If anyone bothered to give your gear a visual once-over, the black on black would make it tough to see that the webbing was threaded properly.

Of course, you would be visually and physically checking your own gear, and if someone cared enough to visually check your stuff I would hope that they would simply take a closer look if they couldn't tell the webbing from the hardaware, but it is something to think about, along the same lines as having your cutaway handle the same color as your jumpsuit.

I plan on having charcoal grey risers, so that will offset things a bit

OK, but you get that it wasn't a concern about the fashion, it was more function. Black webbing through black hardware makes it hard to visually check that your straps are properly threaded. Balck webbing through silver hardwarde is easy to see that it goes under the friction bar, and not around it as-in a mis-thread. Black on black will mask the mis-thread, that's where it might be a 'problem'.

I'm sure the grey risers will look sharp, but as there's nothing for them to thread through, it doesn't address the concern. Not that you have to address the concern at all, I just want to make sure you understand it before moving forward.

how many jumps on it? how many were in daylight? any water or snow landings?

My BASE rig with black hardware has over 100, under 500.

Mostly in daylight.

No water landings, but I often am finding myself landing next to water and getting stuff wet.

...And there was that torrential downpour in Europe we tried to wait out, but decided to jump anyway because we were not getting any drier and we wanted to jump before the rigs were soaked. By the time we landed we might as well have been underwater. I wore my rig with the canopy in the stash-bag for a walk thru the storm, then hung it up to air dry. By the time that jump was done, everything was saturated.

I have washed my container and let it air dry twice in the bathtub.

A few weeks back I landed on a little patch of sand in a riverbed in a tight landing area. The canopy fell back into the water and got part of it wet, and I stuffed the whole thing in my stashbag and let it sit for 3 hours in a wet bag for the hike out and drive home before I got back to a place I could air it out. I put the container in the bag to separate the dry canopy from the wet, so it was in a moist environment.

No signs of rust or discoloration. Yes, it turns a very dark gray and dulls out, but that is part of the "look". The finish is not glossy or shiny.

Long story short - my BASE rig has seen abuse my skydiving rig will never get. Although I don't swoop the pond in my skydiving rig, it is clear I "swoop a lot of rivers" in my base rig.

after seeing so much black hardware lately I saw a slick new infinity with stainless steel chest and hip rings.... Kapow! really stood out nicely against the trend of black thats taking over the sport.

Hi PJ

SS sounds B|

I think I remember when a certain rig manufacturer used gold plated hardware. Special order, don't have a clue how well they held the bling bling or how many were sold.

I saw one rig in the showroom.

R.I.P.
One Jump Wonder

after seeing so much black hardware lately I saw a slick new infinity with stainless steel chest and hip rings.... Kapow! really stood out nicely against the trend of black thats taking over the sport.

Hi PJ

SS sounds B|

I think I remember when a certain rig manufacturer used gold plated hardware. Special order, don't have a clue how well they held the bling bling or how many were sold.

I saw one rig in the showroom.

R.I.P.

Something like twenty years ago, Bill Booth built his 10,000 the harness/container with gold-plated hardware. Then he had diamonds inset in the RW-1 rings on the shoulder.
The back-pad on that Vector 2 was made of fur.
The rig only ever made a handful of jumps.
It is probably still on display at the UPT factory.

Something like twenty years ago, Bill Booth built his 10,000 the harness/container with gold-plated hardware. Then he had diamonds inset in the RW-1 rings on the shoulder.
The back-pad on that Vector 2 was made of fur.$

Mick Cottle made at least one Reflex with a leather container which was pretty cool apart from the 60 day repack cycle that goes with natural materials.

The back-pad on that Vector 2 was made of fur.$

Mick Cottle made at least one Reflex with a leather container which was pretty cool apart from the 60 day repack cycle that goes with natural materials.

i know of an elder gentleman with a leather-rig.. no idea what brand tough!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda