kentAllan

wich altimeter would you recommend?

Viso 2 or the Altitrack?

#1- your eyes

#2- a nice used analog wrist mount that you can get for $50 on the internet.

Yep. Analogs don't need batteries, are much less fragile, & can be seen @a glance regardless of angle or lighting. I say this even though I really like electronics.

Viso 2 or the Altitrack?

#1- your eyes

#2- a nice used analog wrist mount that you can get for $50 on the internet.

Glad you posted that! I've been drooling over an Altitrack since last summer, but I guess that used $50 altimeter will do just fine.

Got a link, or just search eBay?
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

We switched to Altitracks for our student program and it has been nothing but good for our students. The are more comfortable with the accuracy of them, their landing patterns have become better, their pull altitudes are on point, I haven't had to dump a student out in AGES, and they like the data logger on the back.

Awesome product.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Glad you posted that! I've been drooling over an Altitrack since last summer, but I guess that used $50 altimeter will do just fine.

The Altitrack first came out right around when I got my license in 2005. I drooled over it until the summer of 2010 when I finally found a sweet deal on a used one ($150). It's a super cool product, I just couldn't talk myself into spending full retail price on it. But I've sure been happy with it since I got it.

Would recommend the classifieds on this very site over eBay.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/page.cgi?d=1
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

[Iago] Well, the Altitrack is fine if you've got some experience and the spare cash.

I have some experience, but there's a hitch in it -- my experience is all 30 years old. with a large break in between. At this point, I'm going to concentrate on my skydiving and not my gadgets!

[NWFlyer]

Would recommend the classifieds on this very site over eBay.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/page.cgi?d=1

Thanks, all of you!
I'm a jumper. Even though I don't always have money for jumps, and may not ever own a rig again, I'll always be a jumper.

Thanx for all your inputs!

The reason I'm looking at these is the loggingfunctions.

As the altitrack is an digital with the "analog" disc i really like it, but the price is a bit stiff. I have used a regular analog for most of my jumps so far,but I tried a viso for a few jumps and i found it easier to read actually.

I guess I'll just have to borrow a few different altis and make an decision based on that. I've been told the neptune is a better digital alti than the viso, will try to get one on my hand and try it as well :)

As for reading a regular analog or an altitrack I can't say there is a difference, they both look the same.

The neptune also is a logging/downloadable speed profile data type of unit, similar to the Altitrack and ProTrack (audible only). The Viso has very limited data, you can't look at the profile on a computer at all.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Viso 2 or the Altitrack?

I've got a Galaxy (analogue) and a Viso 2. At the moment my Viso is in my helmet for logging. At some point I intend to mount the Galaxy on a chest pillow (I've got one) and move the Viso to my wrist.

The Viso is less of a snag hazard than a Galaxy but harder to read. I like the digital for canopy progression training. Not landing pattern but altitude lost in a turn etc.

Sorry can't comment on the alti-track. BTW the Viso logging is very basic compared to something like the Neptune 2. You don't get total freefall time counters and the like. More details in the user manual which is available on line.

You can get logging features for a lot less than the Altitrack. You could get a used analog for under $100, and a used Protrack also for around or under $100 (though those are a little more challenging to find). That's pretty much what I did until I got my Altitrack. Now I've got both, but like I said in an earlier post, I did not buy the Altitrack new - because I had devices that met my needs, I didn't have to rush out to buy one and I was able to be patient till the deal of the century came along. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The used market here in norway is second to none, so I'll be getting a new one, but I'm actually looking more and more at the N3. I will allso check out the possibility for a regular analog wristmonted alti and some kind of device with loggingfunctions for helmet or pocket.

thanx for all your feedback :)

i have a protrack and then just borrow an analog from the DZ. i like analog a bit better because you know where the redzone is, your brain knows that it doesnt look good when youre low. in the end you should use your eyes to know that the ground looks too close.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

Analog for you. Cheap and reliable.

still have and regularly use mine; but i also have an N3 (which i normally use when the batteries arent dead), a solo and an optima..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Every skydiver should own an analog altimeter and clear goggles. These make excellent first skydiving purchases. You can use them for your entire skydiving career.

Analog-great when batteries are dead and you are on a 2 minute call. Great to loan out if someone forgets theirs. Easy to recognize your altitude without actually having to process what the altitude is. Close to bulletproof, provided you don't throw it around like a teenager. Lens replaceable. Cheap. Doesn't need software updates. Rarely malfunctions if taken care of. I could go on....

Clear goggles-some jumps you need them. Sunset, night jumps, hazy days, etc.

I've had the same analog alti for 10 years. I use a neptune as my primary. Can't even count the number of times I've loaned out our grabbed my analog because of short call or dead batts.

Buy the $50 alti, spend the other $150 on jumps. When you have an extreme surplus of cash, buy the toys.

Jumps will improve your skill faster than a cool alti.

This is not a question about money. I have a budget for gear, wich includes new rig,cypres and canopies. I allso have enough cash to do more jumps this year than I have spear time to do. I'm just wondering wich would be the best digital altimeter. I dont Like the analog and I think a digital is easier to read. I'm now i the process of deciding between the N3 and the viso2

But some of you have PM'ed me and given me really good inputs on the topic so I think I know what I'll be going for.

Thanx to all of you.

Easy to recognize your altitude without actually having to process what the altitude is.

That is not true for many. I had a nice Galaxy alti,, and then last season I decided to try a digital visual altimeter. I tried a Viso II, and then found that I liked the display of the Neptune better. I definitely like the digital altis better than analog, and I'm a relatively old guy that had used an analog for many years.

Processing of the info from a digital alti takes less time for me. Each person has their own reaction to it. I would never try to tell someone that one is better than the other, just that it is worth trying both types.

I think the bulletproof reputation of analog altis is overstated.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Just because you see them tapping on the alti doesn't mean anything. It's probably them just killing time or showing off for the low timers. It is no different than looking at a digital or pressing a button on a digital. They are not bulletproof, but can survive substantially more damage than most if not all digital alti's. For instance, I have seen multiple digital's destroyed from being stepped on, but no analog's.

As far as recognizing altitude...red zone means close to or below decision altitude. Having to focus on the number and read it while on your back spinning is not as easy as seeing a needle at the 2'o clock position and reacting. Granted, most people who have this type of malfunction are typically aware of altitude without needing an altimeter.

As far as digital goes, I prefer the Neptune. I don't like the way the viso's mount, nor do I like the interface. It is also not easy to change the battery due to the mount provided.

L&B, however, has a reputation of phenomenal customer service. Alti-2 has good customer service as well, but L&B is legendary.