andy2

obtaining your commercial pilots license

can someone who is heads up about this subject point me in the direction of website(s) that have FAQish type stuff on the process of obtaining your pilots license. I wish to begin working on it soon but am kinda lost on where to start. Thanks!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Do you have any pilot's license? Many flight schools have FAQs on their websites.

Start by going down to your local flight schools and talking to an instructor. Most places have a "demo flight" which is essentially your first lesson and costs $50-100 depening on plane and time spent. You need at least 40 hours to take your practical test and also need to pass a written test. The school will make a difference in the cost and time it takes. Then, you can do instrument training (to be allowed to fly in the clouds/fog) and after you have 250 hours you are able to take the commercial pilot exam. There are other requirements within that 250 hours. That's it in a paragraph. PM me if you want.

You can try AOPA: http://www.aopa.org/learntofly/

You can look here for students: http://www.studentpilot.com/

Federal Regulations Title 14 Part 61, which govern most flight training: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_14/14cfr61_00.html

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I got my private in May. There were a lot of factors involved in just doing that and I'm assuming you're starting at the beginning now with the goal of getting your commercial one day. Some factors include how old you are, what stage you're currently at in your life, MONEY is a big factor for a lot of people, whether or not you have a college education, if military training is a possible route for you or if you want to learn from a local school or join a club, what kind of plane you want to learn in, whether you want to learn at a busy or more quiet airport, and on and on and on - there's lots of factors and decisions to make.

The basic things you need to get the PPL are to be 17 years old (16 to solo), you have to be able to get at least a third class medical certificate when you get your student pilot certificate, which you have to do prior to soloing - though you would want to make sure you can pass the Class I medical if you want to fly commercial. Your CFI can fill you in on the rest of the requirement, but these are the basics.

If you want to fly airliners it is highly recommended you get a 4-year degree in any subject, but you can combine college and school by attending an aviation college and kill two birds with one stone that way. I already had my 4-year degree so that wasn't an option for me (though I'm not planning on flying for a living anyway so that's not really an issue anyway).

The first thing you do if you're going to learn at a local flight school is to sign up for a discovery (disco) flight. They usually cost about $50 and you can get a good idea of what the school is all about when you actually fly with them. If you decide to sign up, they usually want you to fly at least twice a week in order to get the most out of your lessons. I find that for most people it seems to hold true that staying with one CFI throughout your training is optimum and with the current economy holding most of them back from the airlines right now, it's not too difficult to do that.

As for me, took me a year and nearly 100 hours just to get my PPL. I went through the Cessna "Cleared for Takeoff" course that's put out by John and Martha King at my local school, Executive Flyers in Bedford, MA. It was Class D and fairly busy, which I liked because I don't have any qualms about flying pretty much anywhere after training at a busy airport.

As far as web sites go, http://www.beapilot.com is pretty good as is http://www.aopa.org and it's not a bad idea to join aopa if you decide to pursue the license. I also post a lot at http://www.studentpilot.com and that site was immensely helpful in getting me through the training - highly recommended. Diverdriver is also a huge help in answering anything airplane-related ;)

Good luck! Wish I could go back in time cuz I would have learned to fly a long time ago if I knew how much I was going to love it.

:D
Rhonda
PP ASEL

You know, that's not a bad idea - I didn't even think of that, but...

the first thing I did when I got the PPL was to fly my husband and I over to Jumptown in a 152 to make a jump - couldn't wait to do that. Then I brought him out to the local "practice area" and let him have the controls. Next will probably be a weekend trip to Martha's Vineyard.

I'll have to get checked out in something bigger soon - going to the FFFF in a 152 could take weeks just to get there! :S

Flying rocks - I wish I learned a long time ago...
Rhonda
PP ASEL

Check out one of the absolute best colleges in the world for this: http://www.embry-riddle.com

They have campuses in Daytona Beach, FL (main) and Prescott, AZ ... also hundreds of extended campuses around the US and world.

The university is well-known amongst any aviation related business, including airliners!

Good luck, it's a lot of time and money!

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

Andy --

I just quickly read over the thread but I don't think I saw it anywhere -- what's your motivation and interest in a Commercial Pilot Certificate?

Wanna fly jumpers or the Big Iron?

There's a whole world of difference in what you would need to commit to between the two extremes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Andy --

I just quickly read over the thread but I don't think I saw it anywhere -- what's your motivation and interest in a Commercial Pilot Certificate?

Wanna fly jumpers or the Big Iron?

There's a whole world of difference in what you would need to commit to between the two extremes.

Can I reply to this? I want to do both! Also, is there any difference between all these U.S. systems, and what you need in the U.K.?

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Sorry mate, but I haven't got a clue as to how things are done in the U.K.

I do know that most of the planet decides that training in the U.S. is a heck of a lot less expensive than training elseware, so we see a lot of foreign students here.

Most of the rest of the planet generally prefers to have military trained pilots fly their big iron and up until a few years ago that was true in the U.S. as well. Now, in the U.S. at least, there are more civilian trained airline pilots than military, but the vibe at some airlines (Delta for example) still has a preference for the ex-military.

Honestly, if I was going to advise anyone on a career path to the airlines and if they were young enough and could pass all the other things required, I'd tell them to join the military and NOT fly fighters or bombers, but rather cargo and tankers.

Anyone not wanting to go the military route would be well advised to go the Embry-Riddle route.

On the other hand, if you just wanted to fly jumpers from a C-182 . . . that's a hell of a lot easier.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I fully 100% agree with everything just mentioned by Quade! Although, it'll help you be familiar if you fly cargos, the airliners won't care if you did fly the othersB|

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!