Sebazz1

Spare The Air Day - Nor Cal...

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District has declared TOMORROW Wednesday, June 25 and Thursday, June 26, as the first two Spare the Air Days of 2003.

The most important thing you can do is REDUCE DRIVING TO A MINIMUM. If you must drive, here are two tips for reducing automobile pollution:

Trip Link--consolidating essential errands into a single automobile trip reduces air pollution.
(Cold engines pollute five times more than warm ones. A cold engine is one that has been sitting for over an hour. When possible, link all of your errands together into one trip to minimize cold starts.)

Avoid refueling your car on a Spare the Air day. If you must refuel, do it after the sun has gone down--and please don't top off the tank.
(Putting gas into your vehicle releases Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) into the air. Throughout the day, these VOCs mix with oxides of nitrogen (NOx) in the air, “cook” in the summer heat, and form ground-level ozone. Refueling in the evening decreases the opportunity for VOCs to form into ozone.)

Visit www.sparetheair.org/faq.htm to learn more about ozone air pollution and individual actions that can reduce air pollution in the Bay Area. Our individual actions work in combination to help keep the air clean.

Here are a few more things to think about. Although automobile use is the largest smog source, there are others as well. Avoid using aerosol personal care and cleaning products. Postpone household painting projects and garden tasks that use gasoline-powered equipment such as leaf blowers and lawn mowers. If you barbecue tomorrow, start the coals in a chimney starter or with an electric starter. Please don't use barbecue lighter fluid, which is another big polluter.

I HIGHLY recommend driving to the nearest DZ and JUMP....

Hmmm... whaddya know, I took tomorrow off..... now WHERE is that Greenie ?
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Throughout the day, these VOCs mix with oxides of nitrogen (NOx) in the air, “cook” in the summer heat, and form ground-level ozone. Refueling in the evening decreases the opportunity for VOCs to form into ozone.)

I thought we needed more ozone?:S

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I'll be up there right away with a 1995 Jetta TDI, a 1988 Merecedes 300D and a tow them up with a Dodge Cummins Diesel.

While there, I'll hire two people to drive the cars back and forth across the Bay and Golden Gate bridges, and I'll continue to drive the Dodge along Rt 101 from San Anselmo to Santa Clara.

I'll instruct the hired drivers to not short-shift, allowing the engines to rev free, and really burn the gunk out.

:P;)B|:S:P:P:D:D j/k

BTW: Aerosol is CFC free and has been decades. I'm also willing to bet that the oil and coal firing powerplants and manufacturing facilities in Silicon Valley produce more air pollution than 95% of the cars on the road up there. I bet your commute times tomorrow will remain the same...:S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

What about construction equipment? Have you ever seen those things fire up?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

>BTW: Aerosol is CFC free and has been decades.

Aerosols put particulates and VOC's in the air.

>I'm also willing to bet that the oil and coal firing powerplants and
> manufacturing facilities in Silicon Valley produce more air pollution
> than 95% of the cars on the road up there.

Less than 5% of the power in CA comes from oil and coal. Most is from natural gas for environmental reasons; natural gas power plants are incredibly clean compared to cars. The balance is hydro, nuclear, geothermal and wind - and they're even cleaner than natural gas.

>Why get all hot and sweaty for a bunch of yuppie split tail bims.

Xactly. Take the truck. I hear exercise will kill ya anyway.

Here at our measly 8 story building, I've noticed that I can predict who will be taking the elevator from 1 to 2 by the size of their gut. Strangely, the really big ones seem hot and sweaty _all_ the time . . .

I vow to walk to work every day this week. Of course I do that anyway :P

Here at our measly 8 story building, I've noticed that I can predict who will be taking the elevator from 1 to 2 by the size of their gut.

I'm on the 20th floor, so take the elevator..and man do I get annoyed when someone who is seriously lacking in any sort of mobility takes it to the 2nd floor.

Less than 5% of the power in CA comes from oil and coal. Most is from natural gas for environmental reasons; natural gas power plants are incredibly clean compared to cars. The balance is hydro, nuclear, geothermal and wind - and they're even cleaner than natural gas.

I don't dispute that at all. In fact, I bet that the top ten power producing plants are CO free for the most part. What I was saying was that of the 15 or so coal plants and actual oil burning or industrial waste plants, they produce more pollution than the cars on the road.

Once San Onofre shuts down, where is California going to pick up that small gap of 2000+MW?

Also, the power grid is completely inter-locked, so significant source of our "power" is in fact, produced from out of state and oil/coal/natural gas is the backbone of the grid.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!