hawkbit

Six Sigma

Anyone else out there had to deal with this monumental waste of time. Corporate America never seems to run out of ways to generate committees and meetings. B|:S

There goes 3 hours of my life I will never get back... f*ckers!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

I've seen many references and I still don't understand its role in the consulting world...do share your knowledge. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yes, it is complete bullshit. First Data initiated it several years ago and it completely wacked their performance measurement system out pissing off countless employees. I don't think there is a single executive left from its implementation to now. It was most likely a scapegoat system to thin the herd.

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Anyone else out there had to deal with this monumental waste of time. Corporate America never seems to run out of ways to generate committees and meetings. B|:S

There goes 3 hours of my life I will never get back... f*ckers!

Yeah, it blows. We have sigma 'Black Belts" fuck, I'd like to kick their arses. I don't really disagree with the central tenet, which is "you've got to be able to measure it, to improve it", but holding up useless wankers as the holder of the keys, people to be obeyed, just pisses me off. That and all the crap process around it. Rumor is that our CEO lost a golf game and is why we're implementing it. "If I lose I'll implement sigma"

-Ben

OK, I'll admit I live in a different world, but there are reasons for it. It's a way to make measuring your process, and thinking about it, and turning it into a process, new and fresh. Or at least that's what they hope. A good process will encourage that anyway.

Why a process? Well, it takes longer, but there are fewer surprises. A process will flatten out both the peaks and valleys in whatever you do. If you have a customer with very stringent requirements for accuracy, knowing ahead of time becomes worth it. Our pr six sigma as a way to do thocess hampers our very best programmers, but it improves our average and weaker ones. And, surprise surprise, there are more average and weaker programmers, than there are ones who are so good that they're hampered by having to follow a process.

I work in an extremely tightly-controlled environment; we've had a self-modifying process for 25+ years. IBM did the six sigma thing (fat six sigma) in the 80's I think.

So it's the flavor of the month. On the other hand, I think it's going to get rid of some extremely expensive fanfold printers we've been using since the dawn of time, and replacing them with something closer (thereby eliminating delivery vehicle costs, too).

Having lean six sigma as the flavor of the month gave someone the ability/mandate to deal with all kinds of people who otherwise wouldn't step outside of what they've always done. Frustrating, yes, but it's done now.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

OK, I'll admit I live in a different world, but there are reasons for it. It's a way to make measuring your process, and thinking about it, and turning it into a process, new and fresh. Or at least that's what they hope. A good process will encourage that anyway.

Having lean six sigma as the flavor of the month gave someone the ability/mandate to deal with all kinds of people who otherwise wouldn't step outside of what they've always done. Frustrating, yes, but it's done now.

Wendy W.

I think I've just got a problem with the muppets at my company who are driving this. It's like giving a blind person from the 12th century the keys to a car. So far all they've been able to do is punch on the horn. Personally, I'd rather see XP, but I guess that's really just for software right now.

-Ben

I see now this involves the infamous "Process"

Come on now... is this some sort of IT conspiracy?:S

well, I can't resist... the company I used to work for jumped on the six sigma thing a while back, and actually saved a butt load of money doing it. any way, sigma is standard deviation from a mean. if you can get six before the change in the bell curve changes slope, you basically have a nearly perfect process (whatever it is)...

some reliability engineer invented the whole process at Motorola (I think), and they got to the point where they got rid of all final quality control because their process was so in control they didn't make bad stuff. (you can have many process hooked together and if they are all six sigma capable, you still won't introduce process variation into the product).

so it's basically using sets of data, statistics, and other stuff to make data base decisions, which in the long run isn't so bad, it's the way companies implement the process that hurts.

clear it up a little?:)

six sigma could also be the number of RWS containers leaving the shop every day, too:)

Okay, fellow Six Sigma slaves, raise your hand if you think the software program "MiniTab" for statistical analysis was created by the devil incarnate.

*raises both hands and a leg*
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Anyone else out there had to deal with this monumental waste of time.

I was a Six Sigma Black Belt with General electric for a year and a half after getting out of the Army. I found another job as quickly as possible. It can be a great tool. It is not the "language of leadership" as GE likes to call it. Six Sigma uses sound statistics to find the root cause of problems. It is usually done half assed and without real committment to investing the money, people, and resources to fix the problem once it is found. When you do it half assed it is a monumental waste of time.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Sure do. I work for GE, a couple years ago we were told we had to all be green belts by the end of the year - so I pulled some charts out the thin air and went drinking with the black belt. Now I'm in the club.

Since then I have successfully ignored the entire stupid fucking system. You are lucky to get out with only 3 hours of your life.

I opened Minitab once during training. What a piece of shit. I'm sure it it a product of six sigma engineering.

I completely forgot about Minitab and tried to find it on my 2 GE computers - I obviously de-installed it a long time ago.