kevin922

Have you guys read the TSA nightmare in July's parachutist??

Holy smoly! Julie Roache (of San Jose) wrote about a recent nightmare she had flying from San Fran to Tampa.. she checked 2 rigs, when she ended up in tampa she found the reserves and mains had been unpacked, AND they took some type of bolt cutters to the reserve ripcord pins I can't BELIEVE that crap!

Ed Scott made a note at the end saying they sent the letter to TSA and TSA had contacted Julie, but i'd like to know "the rest of the story" is TSA going to pay for any of the repairs?? (probably not) i'd say that was grounds for a lawsuit there.

In my opinion that TSA policy is doomed to failure. There has to be at least SOME accountability to the screeners. [:/] Especially in rediculous cases like these. I can see that TSA should NOT be responsible for damage while opening a LOCKED bag but they do need to have some liability for it's contents.

In my opinion that TSA policy is doomed to failure. There has to be at least SOME accountability to the screeners. [:/] Especially in rediculous cases like these.

Yeah i'm sure they have no way of knowing exactly which screener did that.

TSA Claim form

"TSA screeners exercise great care during the screening process to ensure that your contents are returned to your bag every time a bag needs to be opened. Â TSA will assess on an individual basis any loss or damage claims made to TSA."

I believe that :S

I believe that too...OH LOOK...A FLYING PIG!!! :):)

Don't bother contacting the TSA directly.

This has got to start going to your federal representatives. Call and write your congressman or woman. Believe it or not, they actually do react to their district's constituents.

Click here to get contact information.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I think the USPA or some photoshop/powerpoint-inclined member of this forum (or -god forbid- the TSA) needs to make a form letter that we can all stick in our luggage, right on top of the rig. The letter would explain what it is (in official-sounding words) and then provide an exploded diagram of what is in a typical rig. (the laminated cypress cards are a good idea, but something more in depth is needed). I usually talk my way out of any problems, but this incident happened out of sight of the owner.

I'm already working on that, since I'm flying with rig next week.

One of the things I'm considering as a reference to pertinent FARs such as 105.43, pointing out that the subject FAR requires the reserve container to be packed, inspected and sealed by and FAA certified rigger, and that the TSA employees and myself are not riggers, therefore it would be illegal for them to attempt to reclose the reserve container.

The best thing might be for them to page me to explain and assist.

I know Julie. I also know Nancy and Mark who had their rigs opened by the TSA. They were paged back out of the secure part of the airport, back to the checkin baggage screeners where they were taken to a room where there mains and reserves (3 or 4 rigs) were spread out all over the floor. TSA: "Uhh, we don't know how to putit back together."

Most of the TSA people are reasonable. We flew through 4 TSA checkpoints in December with rigs as carry-on and they didn't even ask. There are a few who think they are god and want to prove it by making life difficult for others.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

Hey perhaps TSA should hire 1 rigger full time for every airport so if they do need to open the rigs, they can get a free re-pack

hehe

Dude, even if they did that, I wouldn't trust their 'riggers' :|

Your tax dollars at work, and are any of us really surprised ? They lie through their teeth, don't honor their own agreements, and are probably immune to any lawsuits. USPA can only try to play by the rules.

I'd have more confidence shipping a rig with an insured carrier. At least UPS would be on the hook to pay up if they screwed up, the Feds could give a shit.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Jah. It ran in the June issue of Skydiving Magazine.

FTG.>:(
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I'm already working on that, since I'm flying with rig next week.

One of the things I'm considering as a reference to pertinent FARs such as 105.43, pointing out that the subject FAR requires the reserve container to be packed, inspected and sealed by and FAA certified rigger, and that the TSA employees and myself are not riggers, therefore it would be illegal for them to attempt to reclose the reserve container.

The best thing might be for them to page me to explain and assist.

I know Julie. I also know Nancy and Mark who had their rigs opened by the TSA. They were paged back out of the secure part of the airport, back to the checkin baggage screeners where they were taken to a room where there mains and reserves (3 or 4 rigs) were spread out all over the floor. TSA: "Uhh, we don't know how to putit back together."

Most of the TSA people are reasonable. We flew through 4 TSA checkpoints in December with rigs as carry-on and they didn't even ask. There are a few who think they are god and want to prove it by making life difficult for others.

Well said. A rigger's seal and FAR 105.43 should be enough for the TSA :ph34r:s. Barring that, I guess the only solution is to walk.>:(
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

TSA, "Thousands Standing Around".

They have to have something to do and when they have neat things like parachute rigs come through, to hell with saftey or understanding or just plain common courtesy of other peoples property, whip out some wire cutters and see whats inside.

The thing that bugs me is, these people will continue to do this kind of thing, with the same mindless bureaucratic lack of respect for property rationality or privacy, devouring luggage, gear, people's time, playing this insane game like a clean afluent skydiver is as likely to be a terrorist as muhammad al-gibber with the turban and the nervous look. And they'll keep on doing it until forced to stop by legal action and lots and lots of money, because thats how government agencies and bureaucracies work. Next they'll insist that every laptop must be opened and all components visually inspected, by them, out of your sight of course, with an axe, and when you protest your destroyed laptop they'll say sorry we're not responsible for damage, you shouldn't travel with a laptop, we gotta make sure none of your laptops are bombs.....
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

They have a blatant disregard for property and will open any bag containing something they don't understand.

Avoid them at all cost, try not to check your rigs, I have taken it every time as a carry on with no problem whatsoever. Now my bags on the other hand... yeah don't put your helmet with ditter and altimeter and all the rest in there cuz they will open you bag to check what it is. It could been the led lights that they didn't recognize under the x-ray, you never know.

If you bring a laptop on board, they make you turn it on so they canbe sure it isa fully functioning laptop.

My brother had a laptop that he got from a friend. His friend had used the DOS command to change the C:/ prompt to: SUCK MY DICK:/ So when the security guys at the airport turned on his laptop, they received a little, uh, proposition..;)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

If you bring a laptop on board, they make you turn it on so they canbe sure it isa fully functioning laptop.

...which doesn't prove shit. Any idiot with the slightest knowledge of explosives and computers can fill the cavities of a functioning laptop with C4 or SemTex and wire the blasting cap to the parallel port. It will work just fine until you print something...

This is what the mass spectrograph machines are for - to detect explosives. Why not run the rig through it instead of ripping it apart?

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.