AggieDave

Should the elderly be required to take yearly driving test?

I think that when you prove to be a hazard to others on the road then you should be tested and if need be banned frrom driving .. There are some old farts in my car club driving 7 second cars down the road that are way better drivers than those punks in their hondas with loud exhausts . One of these guys races every wekend and cut unreal reaction times . He is 72 .

Sure, BUT how do we know that an elderly person is a hazard on the road until something happens? That something could kill a family, a person, or cause a lot of damage.

I'm sure the old guy that plowed through the market "wasn't a hazard" either, ya know...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

One of these guys races every wekend and cut unreal reaction times . He is 72

And so he'd pass the test....

Personally I've seen more elderly people doing overly stupid things in traffic than I have punk ass kids.

I said yes on CNN and I say yes here :)

Sure, BUT how do we know that an elderly person is a hazard on the road until something happens?

Agreed.
Of course, that's the case in SEVERAL situations in life, not only this one...

Blondes do have more fun!

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!

At age 65 it should be YEARLY.

Too many OLD people getting into accidents. They are a higher risk than younger people as far as I am concerned. I have seen 3 motorcyclist die from old people pulling in front of them not paying attention.

THE GOVERNMENT WILL NEVER DO THIS. Because they will have to pick up the tab. Once you are deemed unfit to drive public transportation SHOULD be free. It should be a benefit to growing old in this country.

But that costs money. Money we don't have. And old folks will consider it their RIGHT to drive.

They should have the right IF they can pass a reflex test and a driving test. Hell for that matter make EVERY motorist take the test every 5-10 years until they are 65 so the old folks don't feel TOO singled out.

Good post Dave.

Rhino

Once you are deemed unfit to drive public transportation SHOULD be free. It should be a benefit to growing old in this country

The government would have no responsibility to provide free transportation. Remember, driving is a PRIVLAGE, not a right!

If it was a right, then yes, but otherwise, no.

The government would have no responsibility to provide free transportation. Remember, driving is a PRIVLAGE, not a right!

I know what you mean.. But it should be free if they are deemed unfit. They have a right to a life.

Once you are deemed unfit to drive public transportation SHOULD be free. It should be a benefit to growing old in this country

Sure it could, BUT the point is there are laws there to try to prevent it from happening. Are there laws in place to check the ability of elderly people's driving skills? Nope, there are currently no checks for this.

See my point?

I voted no. However, I do think that they (and everyone else) should be tested periodically(just not every year). I think that if the tests were every 3-5 years it would help get rid of some of the people that shouldn't be on the road.

One of these guys races every wekend and cut unreal reaction times . He is 72

And so he'd pass the test....

Personally I've seen more elderly people doing overly stupid things in traffic than I have punk ass kids.

I said yes on CNN and I say yes here :)
You want to see stupid ass shit on the roads by young punks , come to Phoenix for a friday night . As far as my 72 year old friend goes , he still has great vision and passed his last driving test with no problems . Please see attached photo of an example of a stupid young driver in the phoenix area that is 18 and this happened the day he got this car .

i voted "YES" as well. if i have to have an eye exam, and a hearing test every 4 years to get my driver's license renewed, why shouldn't the elderly? or am i to believe our eyesight and hearing improve with age? my mother who will be way old in august gets her driver's license renewed through the mail every 4 years, wuz up? (and she's stone cold deaf)
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I voted yes but I think annual is too often. Maybe every 3 years starting at 60 would be enough. Most people decline in senses and reaction times slowly, a sudden decrease in one year would be the result of a traumatic illness or accident.
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

I know what you mean.. But it should be free if they are deemed unfit. They have a right to a life.

More then the cost of providing it free, is that in so may American cities public transit sucks to the point where it is completely unusable. If a larger portion of the population were forced to depend on it for complete mobility, it would become evident how under-built the system is. Subways would need to be built, thousands of busses bought, etc.

In most American cities, public transit does pretty good at getting commuters to work, but fall short of being a complete transit solution.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

do you really think that "some" of them would not continue to drive even if their licence was suspended ( me included. I'd tell them to put their test where the sun doesnt shine.maybe no insurance, but at that age, what are they going to do, hang me?

More then the cost of providing it free, is that in so may American cities public transit sucks to the point where it is completely unusable. If a larger portion of the population were forced to depend on it for complete mobility, it would become evident how under-built the system is. Subways would need to be built, thousands of busses bought, etc.

In most American cities, public transit does pretty good at getting commuters to work, but fall short of being a complete transit solution.

_Am

You can thank Henry Ford and the rest of the automakers for working to make sure there was no real public transit system.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Sorta like those things they put on cars that are parked illegally...you have to go pay to get it off your tire.

Well, either way, thank god I'm in a big truck, they can hit me if they want, but they better have DAMNED good insurance...

Yeas, no doubt about it.

I have two examples:

Last time I was ashore I visited this small fishing village (on an island) with very narrow roads. I was warned about a slowly moving car, that would have white sticks poking out of driver and passenger windows. The explanation was that a pair of very old brothers lived in the village. Their vision was so poor that they were using the white stick when walking, but because their knees were also weak, they were still using a car to drive around the village and were using the white sticks to keep on the road.

An other one was my grandfather. His driving became rather erratic with age and we started wondering about his aey sight. Our doubts were confirmed, when one day he was driving around my cousin, who stated asking him if he sees the traffic signs. Yeas he answered, no problem. Then he was asked what is that sign... and the answer was : Slow down, danger ahead... and the explanation was same for every sign on the road.

Needless to say, that was his last drive.

So.... checks strongly recommended.

Cheers: JL ;);)B|:)

In Illinois,

Drivers age 81 through 86 are issued licenses good for two years. Drivers age 87 and older must renew their licenses each year.

and

All persons age 75 and over must take a driving test [when renewing].

It's a start...

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I think it is needed. I know the counter arguments- how it impedes our elders mobility and makes them more dependant, but on the motorway, we need to put safety first.
It scares me to think that there are people out there driving like my bosses mom, - 91, bearly able to open a door by herself. She is a danger to herself and other motorists.
=========Shaun ==========

WRONG!! Not descrimination.. Public safety.

That was exactly my point. I hear the word "discrimination" being used on American media as if it was a curse. It's not. It means to make a selection based on a factor. If that factor is justified, then discrimination is not Discrimination, if you know what I mean. Justified factors include young/old age and mental conditions. Unjustified factors include race and color.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.