kevin922

Police shooting in Louisana

I come on the internet and this forum to have fun, to see what other people think. Not to change the world, or impress my opinions on other people.

..then have fun, and stop the direct insults.

----------------------------------------------------
If the shit fits - wear it (blues brothers)--

However, you shoot until the person is down.

You're mistaken on that one.

Basic combat handgunning manuals of all sorts (I'm a fan of Chuck Taylor's teachings) state that upon draw you shoot -twice- at center mass in rapid succession. The idea being here that you may miss the first one, so you might as well take a second shot. Even if you land the 1st shot the 2nd one, being that it's in rapid succession, will likely land a decent distance (4-6 inches) off the first shot and provide additional damange to the central nervous system. if the 2nd shot misses, oh well.

At this point you lower your weapon to the "ready" state which is basically a 45 degree angle toward the ground and assess the situation. If the target is still posing a threat (ie: they have a weapon and are in striking distance, or they have a firearm and they can still point it at you) -THEN- you take a 3rd shot at the "cranial-occular" region which is the technical term for "between the eyes". Assuming you've slowed your target this is supposed to be a fairly easy shot. You take your shot, lower weapon and re-assess situation.

I'm unable to watch the video as a codec doesn't exist on my Linux machine right now so I can't comment on the situation at hand. However, if a single person rattles 8 shot into a threat they're not acting in accordance with anything I've ever read. For a common citizen, under stress, I would somewhat understand this, but for a police officer -- no. They are (supposed to be) well trained for such situations, and should be able to handle them under stress.

hell in the states anyone who can do a few push ups and sit ups can be a cop.

I'll contest that statement. I worked with a man in IT (age 28) who decided that after 10 years of programming he wanted to try law enforcement. He'd be taking around a 60% pay cut but the job sounded more redeeming to him.

He's an intelligent man, level headed, and already skilled with a firearm. He failed the psyche evaluation though where they asked him moral questions and such. He figures he was rejected because he didn't morally considered use of marijuana a crime worth reporting unless something else was going on at the time. In my opinion, the state police turned down a very good candidate.

I've done firearms training with the same guy, so I sure as heck don't think he's mentally unstable. I wouldn't get near a nutball with a 9mm if I thought he was out to lunch.

You know....there is a lot of surface area on a body to shoot. And, shooting someone in the back is pathetic. Shoot the person in the leg - they go down. Shoot 'em in the ass - again, they'll go down. Shooting 'em in the back - you should get shot. >:( And, if their aim sucks - go get training on how to use the gun.

I'm no expert on skydiving -- but this is something I do know a bit about.

What we have in your case is a typical too-many-movies syndrome. It's fairly common so please don't take this personally.

Hitting somebody in the leg is not reason enough for them to go down. Sometimes it would be -- but if they do it's only psychological and not a physical reaction. You simply don't have enough nerve endings to really put your body into shock (reliabily) by putting a .40" hole into a leg. When dealing with what might possibly an enraged and dedicated person (I am not saying that this was the case in this situation) hitting the leg isn't an option. You -must- go for center mass, meaning the chest, and hope that your first 2 shots do enough damage to stop them. Please not assume that stopping them does equals killing them. The goal in a firearm confrontation, contrary to popular beleif, is not to kill the person -- it's to STOP them from endagering you. I'll admit that generaly speaking a stopping wound does equal a killing wound (if not treated) but the difference in execution (of the shots) is vastly different.

Try using a handgun in a dimly lit situation and hit an object 4" in diameter sometime from 15 yards. That's about as big as the 'meaty' spot of a man's leg that would do any real damange. It's harder than the movies make it look. Doing it under stress is a whole 'nother situation.

However, you shoot until the person is down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're mistaken on that one.

In my department, which is fairly large and well respected, you shoot until the threat is eliminated. You always shoot at least twice. In stressfull situations cops only hit one out of five shots when aiming at center mass. Aiming for an extremity is Hollywood crap. Your chances of hitting are low unless you are away from danger and in a stable firing position ie a sniper.

They are (supposed to be) well trained for such situations, and should be able to handle them under stress.

They are well trained to react in a certain way under stress. You shoot until the threat is eliminated.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

If the guy in this situation had been a clean-cut white man in his late 30's and had been wearing a decent business suit, do you think the police would have been so quick on the trigger?

My guess, if everything else was the same, would be that you would have a dead white guy in a business suit and no news story.

hell in the states anyone who can do a few push ups and sit ups can be a cop.

Depends on the department. Some departments have extremely strict hiring policies with very detailed background investigations. Others hire who they can get. It depends on the pool of candidates they have to choose from. You would be surprised at the education and experience of some of those lowly cops.

For a common citizen, under stress, I would somewhat understand this, but for a police officer -- no. They are (supposed to be) well trained for such situations, and should be able to handle them under stress.

The range I go to is owned by a retired cop and most of the cops in Philly that train, train there. I see a lot of cops coming in there. And other than the regulars, those that do come in appear to me to be less trained than a lot of the "average citizens" that come in.

To assume only makes an ass out of you and me. To say she thinks shes ALWAYS right...is a bit far fetched. Rather than casting condescending remarks or speaking like you KNOW her, take some time....and get to know her. To make someone understand your point of view, you don't insult or throw a line here and there, you use facts. Ridiculing and striving your hardest to make someone look like an ass is a sign of weakness. My guess is since ur willing to jump out of a plane time after time, ur not weak. I could be wrong however. Just don't speak like ya know someone unless ya do.

Alex,

You asked for the facts, and they were laid out here, many times, I personally know this much about your friend, she has posted her belief that only in Northern California, you will find civility in the US. This is not making and ass out of myself. It's her own statement. You don't need to insult me either,nor curse, for I have nothing or have talked to you directly for you to jump in, regardless she is your very close friend.

If you see all the posts she made, they are not based on what the actual turn of events took place, to the extent that she pretends to offer an expertise she clearly does not have on the subject in question, and neither you, which also include distorted history of what California is in respect to the rest 49 states. She clearly defines that she is right, and she expects us not to be worried about an attitude of "know it all/I'm always right" won't be the same when she will jump out of a plane? what is it that can give us this confidence? (at least for those who jump), we know that this can carry really bad consequences for all those around these type of people who won't listen.

So I would make a safe assumption on not wanting to jump on the same load just to be safe from an avoidable risk. I recon my harsh comment of shooting first and asking questions later was somewhat hard, and for this I will apologize to her, as I did earlier in the Chatroom.

I did chat a little bit with her, and she is a character, I give you that, we will never agree on many things, and wish her nothing but safety as well as for the rest of us.

I came across another posting here in which you use the same words same postings as an answer. Should we not assume that your rethoric is vane and just copied all over the place and have not much but nice words well put that are for eternal use over and over again?

Let me know for I will be interested to know.

In any case, I wish you nothing but blue skies.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Shoot! I mean dang! the brova couldn't have gotten far with his pants falling down like that. Anyhow, he was looking out for some relatives by taking a bullet. It makes for a better lawsuit.:ph34r:

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

You asked for the facts, and they were laid out here, many times, I personally know this much about your friend, she has posted her belief that only in Northern California, you will find civility in the US.

That is not what I said... I simply offer a point to be argued that Nor Californians are way more tolerant that a lot of other people in the US. BUTT There willing to take action against icidents that violate human rights too though.

If you see all the posts she made, they are not based on what the actual turn of events took place, to the extent that she pretends to offer an expertise she clearly does not have on the subject in question, and neither you,

Its a poll, thats what this thread is. We are asked to vote on what is it was a justified shooting. Tje only facts that count here are what is shown on the video and the condition of the "suspect" I didnt see.... hey only post if you are in law enforcement or a politican or some shit. Im expressing my views, based on the question asked.

She clearly defines that she is right, and she expects us not to be worried about an attitude of "know it all/I'm always right" won't be the same when she will jump out of a plane? what is it that can give us this confidence?

Thats bullshit!!!!! I'm an AFF student ffs... If I thought i knew it all id have a load of freefly advice for you and Id be a regualar poster in Riggin lmao.
I think youre just scared of the fact that I'm willing to argeu my point n show everyone, that I dont really care If i dont have anyone backing me up. It was unjustified!!!!!! and I dont care if 100 people argue about it with me. I am entitled to make my own mind up based on what we where given to watch.
We all saw the same thing, I'm not aware of any other information, just what I saw!

I recon my harsh comment of shooting first and asking questions later was somewhat hard, and for this I will apologize to her, as I did earlier in the Chatroom.

I was just winding you up about that. I didnt have any problem sleeping either, water off a ducks back.
I dont take personal threats on the internet too seriously LOL. However if you said it to me face to face, I'd probably have made you cry!;)

Alex, what ye think ?????

Hope you don't get Banned!

That is not what I said... I simply offer a point to be argued that Nor Californians are way more tolerant that a lot of other people in the US. BUTT There willing to take action against icidents that violate human rights too though.

so this is admitting that NOR Cal have the most civilized people on the US?

Its a poll, thats what this thread is. We are asked to vote on what is it was a justified shooting. Tje only facts that count here are what is shown on the video and the condition of the "suspect" I didnt see.... hey only post if you are in law enforcement or a politican or some shit. Im expressing my views, based on the question asked.

Oh Sue, again you were stating your commnets as facts. I never requested you to have any type of experience but something backing up your words.You just had to read the news on the web as well as pertinent websites to find out that the investigation cleared the police, and that the car chase was for few miles.

Thats bullshit!!!!! I'm an AFF student ffs... If I thought i knew it all id have a load of freefly advice for you and Id be a regualar poster in Riggin lmao.
I think youre just scared of the fact that I'm willing to argeu my point n show everyone, that I dont really care If i dont have anyone backing me up. It was unjustified!!!!!! and I dont care if 100 people argue about it with me. I am entitled to make my own mind up based on what we where given to watch.
We all saw the same thing, I'm not aware of any other information, just what I saw!

Sue, I will encourage you to make an opinion, but you have to be honest with yourself. Learn ALL the facts before making a decision, it can be very costly in this sport. You have the right to pursuit your happiness, and this is something I pledged an oath to preserve. What I'm scared is that if you are not able to open your mind, you could be in trouble, fast in this sport. I honestly don't like any incidents that happen, regardless if I argue with the person or not, and not even if I ever got to know them personally. This is ver well intended, and in no way intended to offend you. Please, take this as an honest and well intended advice. No need for cursing here

I was just winding you up about that. I didnt have any problem sleeping either, water off a ducks back.
I dont take personal threats on the internet too seriously LOL. However if you said it to me face to face, I'd probably have made you cry!;)

Please also accept my apologies for the way I did express myself to you. You did make me see I was wrong on making those type of comments, and I'm grown enough to face my own mistakes. And please, be safe, so enjoy a lifetime of jumping.

Sue, there will be no posts for this matter, if you feel you are enraged by my comments, I can not say how sorry I am for not being able to make a point across as I should. Be safe and blue skies.

"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

so this is admitting that NOR Cal have the most civilized people on the US?

I dont understand where that comes from. Civilized and tolerant are two different things as far as i know.

You just had to read the news on the web as well as pertinent websites to find out that the investigation cleared the police, and that the car chase was for few miles.

Hunny... I hadnt expected a different outcome. I read what was written, but when i watched the first cop... It made me aggrivated. LOok, it was his job to contain the situation. He made a lame attempt to do that. If he had of done his job properly, there would have been no need for the end result.

Sue, I will encourage you to make an opinion, but you have to be honest with yourself.

I stated this before and I'll say it again. This thread is not even remotley linked to skydiving. This is a matter of opinion on if we feel that the action was taken by members of the police force in this particular situation was the right action.
I realise and believe there is some sincerity in what you are saying here...

What I'm scared is that if you are not able to open your mind, you could be in trouble, fast in this sport. I honestly don't like any incidents that happen, regardless if I argue with the person or not, and not even if I ever got to know them personally.

But I dont understand what this means..... do you knw something that I don't . are you threatening me? I have no clue why you keep saying this. Perhaps I will run into trouble/ incidents...... Thats why I signed the waiver at the dropzone... didn't we all? I know me lots better then you do, and I consider my safety and the saftey of those around me, of the highest importance. I'm far from a know it all but in my opinion many people have posted much worse posts then i have on here, that are far more closed minded.

I'm not enraged btw.... I find the whole thing very interesting. thats why I reopened the thread, I learned a lot from it, and met some very cool people because of it, even though the were against my views. I would also like to stress that I am NOT a danngerous know it all in the sky, actually I failed myself on two levels of my AFF just because I wasnt satisfied and comfortable with my jump at the time, and I felt I needed to repeat.

As for apologizing, you already did and I'm fine with that. I didnt take you seriously anyway. its just text.

Thanks for the post though, Its your round in the pub later!

Hope you don't get Banned!

(to no one in particular)

i'd like to request that everyone reveiw the FAQ and learn how to properly qoute each other..hint look a the buttons on the bottom everytime you reply...the current 'text block' method doesnt scan very well, and i really rather not waste my time reading the same text for the 3rd time in 3 different posts...

technology is a great thing...learn to use it please..

You asked for the facts, and they were laid out here, many times, I personally know this much about your friend, she has posted her belief that only in Northern California, you will find civility in the US. This is not making and ass out of myself. It's her own statement. You don't need to insult me either,nor curse, for I have nothing or have talked to you directly for you to jump in, regardless she is your very close friend.

First off....i posted this a longggggggggggg time ago...but HEY UP!!! How ya goin? Im grande, had myself a few beers last nite, chatted up a few women. Now that the important stuff is out of the way. Im not gonna waste my time re-reading this post, nor trying to remember every thing i mentioned. I will say tho, that not everything she posts is strictly opinionated. She has laid out facts. Infact (ironic init) as a writer, the way she uses her own state of living in concrete examples is brilliant. For someone to not only mix facts but actual personal examples is fabulous. I give her kudos.:)

If you see all the posts she made, they are not based on what the actual turn of events took place, to the extent that she pretends to offer an expertise she clearly does not have on the subject in question, and neither you,

its the forum, ya dont' have to be an expert to offer any advice. I am an expert in sodomy...holla @ me, lessons are 50 bucks a pop:D(literally, hahah ok ill stop there sorry)

she expects us not to be worried about an attitude of "know it all/I'm always right" won't be the same when she will jump out of a plane? what is it that can give us this confidence? (at least for those who jump), we know that this can carry really bad consequences for all those around these type of people who won't listen.

Omgoodness, i am actually about to agree with you. She is kinda know it all init she??? If you really dig deep tho..she is completely different. Just assertive. And tho i've never had the HONOR of seeing her jump, i know that in the sky....she means bizness. Shes just that type of person.

I recon my harsh comment of shooting first and asking questions later was somewhat hard, and for this I will apologize to her,

Good man. Ya gotta understand, shes my best friend. Even if my comment doesn't make sense or have any relevance. Its instinct if i see people slagging her off, ill say my piece. Even tho shes a big girl and can definately handle her own.;)
I

I came across another posting in which you use the same words same postings as an answer. Should we not assume that your rethoric is vane and just copied all over the place and have not much but nice words well put that are for eternal use over and over again?

FFS J, i had to read that read that over and over, thats a hell of a run on buddy:ph34r: Just messin. I use the quote cos I love it. Its so to the point, so true, and I post it on here....when I find someone assuming My mom taught it to me when i was a young lad, and apparently many people on the forum were never taught it. Thus, its my human nature to spread the knowledge, as rhetoric, redundant, or senseless it may seem.B|

In any case, I wish you nothing but blue skies

I wish you the same!!! Again its been a long time since the thread....but I look forward to threading out with you again.:)

We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe.
-Johann von Goethe