freebird

Running a Marathon

I am being brave Im posting.

Anyway, Im trying to train for the Houston Marathon which is of course 26.2 miles. The most I have ran so far ( with a long build up) is 10 miles. I felt like I had run 100 miles after I was done.

Have any of you ever done a marathon?

I have heard of the walk 1 min. run 5 min. method too, that some people do in the first half.

theres a TON of information about this, but yeah, theyre not hard if you train right. I did one about 2 years ago during the summer in between track and cross country. Just slowly build up your mileage, and if you havn't been running for a super long time, VERY slowly build your mileage. Look on the net for useful info!

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Hey! I might have to join you for that one! I did a half back in '99 and it was the most rewarding thing! My girlfriend here is an avid distance runner and competes for the Army. I'll have her check out this post tomorrow. She also does tri's in Florida. I don't want to be competitive at it but I'd love to do another half.B|

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Yeah come!!!!
Misery does love company ;)
Actually a few jumpers from deland have already signed up, including me and 2 more of PD's marketing department :o - it's going to be fun... when it's over!

Kolla
Blue Skies Magazine

i did the honolulu marathon last december in honor of my wife for the arthritis foundation. truth be told, I walked it (i'm such a puss). I trained for 9 months about 4 times per week... it was a great experience but I'll never do it again. It kicked my ass.

-the artist formerly known as sinker

It's in your head. If you can run 15 in training, you can run a standard marathon. You should never train full distance.

I'm not a runner (used to Cycle competitivly) but I've done 2 standards and one Ultra. (35m)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I agree that if you can do 15 you can do the full deal.

my tip would be don't stop during the race. Once you do it's over. Your legs turn into concrete bridge supports.

my 02 (worth every penny)

good luck

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

I'm training for my first marathon in October. I've been getting advice from all my buddies that run and I've been using a mileage chart from www.halhigdon.com (the novice one of course). There are a lot of good tips on there and he has the poor slow rocks in the back like me in mind.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

One rule of the marathon, don't wait until you are thirsty or hungry to drink and eat. When you come to an aid station, take the Gu/Power Gel/whatever. By the time your body tells you it needs the calories, it is too late.

It also helps to train with whatever you are going to eat. Some of that stuff can really mess up your stomach, so find out what works for you and don't stray during the race.

You don't want to hit the wall, it is an Ugly Ugly place.

Good Luck and remember to have fun, when you finish, it is an amazing feeling.

amen to that... drink all you can when you can... and start hydrating the day before, even days before. and don't stop. I made the mistake of stopping w/ 10k left, just to rest my right foot. worst mistake of my LIFE!!!!! it took all the energy I had to finish.

-the artist formerly known as sinker

I'm training right now - it's hard. 11 miles is the longest run so far, tomorrow is a 12 mile run. (Supposed to be a Saturday run but I want to jump on Saturday.)

Good luck - and consider Chicago it's flat and cool which are both good for marathons.

You must not have ever been to Houston.....;)

Houston and cool in the same sentence? I have been there and walking from the airport to the rental car bus generally results in me feeling like I've run 5 miles.

Happy in the cold north - Matt

Thanks for all of the advice. I do know the importance of drinking and eating. Actually I have a fuel belt. I will have 4 6oz. drinks, two water, in one a sports drink and in one a Coke. Yes I said Coke!

Im also putting some M&M's in my pocket for the 18 mile mark. I have been known to get low blood sugar and the sugar will rescue me if or when I need it.:)