CrazyIvan

What the F...OH SHIT!!! <BAM!!><SLAM> Ouch!! (long)

Yup, that's exactly what happened to me this afternoon.

Sorry is kinda long.

I went to the DZ to try my new Wings and Sabre2, sunny day, just beautiful, a light wind, we got on a load, got to altitude, exited, I was the last one since I was pulling high (5K) in order to try my new canopy, after pulling, the pilot chute was out, it took like 3 secs to open the container, a long snivel, opened and a minor line twist, and then OUT OF NOWHERE a fucking wind like you have no idea, turbulence all over the place, crabbing like a mofo, I looked down to search for other canopies NONE IN SIGHT, and...WHERE IN THE HELL IS THE DZ!!!???, suddenly I spotted it, started my downwind leg, my base leg was a ride of horror, and I also saw the other jumpers all over the fucking place, a lot of them OFF, my final approach was like a freefall with a canopy over my head, I was swinging like a rag doll and then BOOM!!! SPLAT!! the ground, I barely landed on my face, in fact, my forehead smacked the ground, THANK YOU BONEHEAD MINDWARP!!!, stood up, checked for damages, my head a little numb, a little scratch on my nose and all my teeth where they were supposed to be, picked up my canopy and walked to the packing area and my right shoulder started to hurt like a bitch, in fact, I can't raise my arm higher than my chin, I took some Motrin, put some Heat patches on and I'm post-whoring in pain now telling you my experience.

I tell you people, those winds changed in SECONDS, I have to say, at my DZ Safety is always #1, and there is NO WAY IN HELL that they would let us jump in winds like that, even the tandems were fucked up, one person got hurt because of the wind, nothing major, but still was an injury.

Well, there you have it, I'm grounding myself for a few days (DAMN DAMN DOUBLE DAMN!!) because this shoulder is killing me.

Some last remarks, the Wings container is very comfortable, my Mindwarp didn't get even a scratch and my Tony suit just got dirty, no tears or anything, I couldn't really test my Sabre2 because I was too busy trying to save my ass.[:/]

I need a hug.[:/]

so, Im confused.

you dumped at 5k and by the time you wer eopen you hadda find a place to land?
that sounds more then just winds!

I got the part where you were opening had a snivel and then BAM winds from nowhere. but what happened to the 3500 ft? Im glad youre ok! it may just be the way Im reading it but its it seems vague![:/]
My photos

My Videos

so, Im confused.

you dumped at 5k and by the time you wer eopen you hadda find a place to land?
that sounds more then just winds!

I got the part where you were opening had a snivel and then BAM winds from nowhere. but what happened to the 3500 ft? Im glad youre ok! it may just be the way Im reading it but its it seems vague![:/]

Before exiting I spotted the DZ, after opening and checking the canopy someone 'moved' the DZ way to my left. Maybe I didn't explain that clearly...sorry.

oh..ok! now I gotcha. I though you were undercanopy THEN the winds slapped the hell outta you.;)

Im i guessing correctly to assume these were High uppers?

(my thinking was..its new gear and you got SMACKED on opening...hence the confusion!)
My photos

My Videos

Chambersburg all
Yesterday was calm but, shifty(people landing in 4 different directions over the "PA" land with builds to the RIGHT!:P
I nailed my accuracy:DHA! (left a foot print in mother earth next to a "noodle"):ph34r:

It was great jumping there.
todays strong winds messed up my accuracy here at Maytown (I needed 3 more for my C-lic)
jump #1=got short by 40'/not 4'
jump#2=my 2nd rear riser landing due to broke streering line(and cut the end of my finger/skin reattached for now)B|
one little lady,Denise (looks awsome in her HOT Bod suit but just at touch down got blown over side ways)[:/](I wanted to kiss her boo boos:ph34r:)

No worries mate - I land on my face every once in a while. That's not a technique they teach you in AFF - you have to learn it from experience. The trick is to take it on the "meaty" portions of your face - the cheeks and lips. If you keep your eyes and mouth closed, it will prevent dirt from piling up in those areas, but unfortunately, it will always go up your nose - nothing you can do about that, except take it like a man and try to make it back to the packing area before snorting the dirt out on those miserable packers. If you're lucky, you'll only have the non-pointy weeds and they may even slow you down faster. If pulled off successfully, you will look like a complete stud for the spectators in the landing area. If you thought that swooping made the chicks wet, you should see how they go wild for a guy that has turf sticking out of his helmet.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD