airann

Where do wires go??

No I dont have instructions.

Ceiling fan with light going to a dimmer switch.

From the ceiling -looks like a black wire and a white wire.

To the seiling fan -looks like green, blue, black and white.

Now what??

Thank you.
:)

~AirAnn~

green wire is the ground...it should be screwed to the junction box somewhere....whiteand blue wire to white wire and black wire to black wire....the blue is the hot wire for the fan and sometimes the house is set up to have a seperate switch for the lights and the fan but if not just connect the white and blue wire to the white wire in the box

OK,

First, make sure the powere is OFF by switching off the breaker.. Thank you. I don't want to hear of you flying across the room from any shock..:P

Now, the green power is for "ground" it goes to the metal box in the ceiling or to a copper wire in the metal box.

The white wire gets connected to the white wire in the ceiling.

The black and blue wires are for light/fan if you had two separate power wires running from the switch. You can connect them both to the black wire in the ceiling. The light and fan will come on at the same time.

I think you might want to replace the dimmer switch in the wall with a regular switch. The power drawn by the fan and light both may not go well with a standard dimmer switch - read fire hazard.

Now, most "regular" electrical boxes are not mounted in the ceiling to hold the weight of a fan and light.. If you have access to the attic, you may want to nail or screw a 2X4 above the box to add support and then screw the metal box from the inside into the 2X4..

OK, does any of that make any sense..

I would just go to your place and fix it, but that would cause BIG social problems for me :)
Let us know if it all works...

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

If you check the switch, I'd bet that the black wire is the "switched/hot" wire... Then the blue hot wire would go with the black hot wire in the box.

However, I do have a set of fan instructions at home.. If you give me an hour, I could go get them.:S

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

OK this is what you do.
Fill up a bucket of water and place your bare foot in it. Make sure all the lights are on. Now grab the green wire and place it in the water while holding tight to the white and black wires in your hands....That should work
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

This forum is a questionable enough source for skydiving info, and you ask for information on electrical work?

Get an electrician, unless anybody posting can prove that they are licensed electricians in YOUR state.

AMEN to that!
I work all day & paid to work with wiring.
Different things can be in different houses and POW!
you've just been damaged (yes, every strike of foreign power does damage to you) Just because I'm still standing doesn't mean it's OK(1 hit=4x E.R. & Card. med for life)
Be SAFE!!:)

if you look at your dimmer switch it will most likely say something along the lines of WARNING: DO NOT USE WITH INDUCTIVE LOADS

this means fans... and really, pretty much anything else that isn't a lightbulb. You should definitely use a normal light switch.

also you may have had a dyslexic or colorblind electrician, so simple color matching may not be fool-proof.

If you aren't sure, have someone look at it

unless anybody posting can prove that they are licensed electricians in YOUR state.

one was unaware electricity behaved any different in any jurisdiction...;)

do you think we could lobby for WA to change the law of gravity? :P

OK this is what you do.
Fill up a bucket of water and place your bare foot in it. Make sure all the lights are on. Now grab the green wire and place it in the water while holding tight to the white and black wires in your hands....That should work

Has anyone heard from Airann recently?

one was unaware electricity behaved any different in any jurisdiction...

Well, if one was familiar with electrical codes and standards, one would know that while the behaviour of electrons is constant, the codes and standards vary. This is an international forum. Colours and guages of wires are very different between US and international standards. The type of conduit used and whether or not junction boxes are required and what type also varies. Whether old wiring needs to be replaced or brought up to current standards when new appliances or fixtures are installed also vary. Some of these vary from state to state. Any or all of these details could apply to her situation.

edit: typo

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

>Well, if one was familiar with electrical codes and standards, one would
>know that while the behaviour of electrons is constant, the codes and
>standards vary.

Which is why I always take a meter and start from basics. Since many homeowners do their own wiring, there's no guarantee that the wiring even within a given house makes any sense. I've found aluminum wiring in home-run outlet strings, white used as hot, and romex used as LVDC wiring. In my house there was a suspicious 20 amp breaker on wiring rated for 15 amps (14 ga.) I traced that out and found that that one circuit powered every light and outlet in the kitchen, living room, and hallway (well over half the loads in the house.)

to install a ceiling fan??
please.

Yes, actually. I installed some motion-activated lights outside our house. The nice guy in the electrical department at Home Depot informed me the little tidbit about "wiring connections need to be in a junction box". In some places, when you run wiring, it has to be in conduit. Others don't care - just staple it to studs, beams or whatever. The conduit is there so if you drill, nail, whatever and don't know there's a wire in there, you're less likely to get fried.

The previous tenants of this 45-year-old house wanted to plug in appliances with 3-prong plugs, so they replaced all the 2-prong outlets, but not the wiring. What's wrong with that? (Besides it being a huge code violation.) HELLO?! The SAFETY GROUND isn't connected.

some people are to enamored with regulation

The rules are there for a reason - usually to prevent the incompetent from hurting themselves or someone else.

See also BillVon's post.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.