jacketsdb23

First cutaway/reserve ride

As DZ.com can be a source of knowledge for some I thought I might share my experience this weekend, so that at the very least maybe it helps a new jumper or two.

The skydive was normal 4-way sit fly until I tracked and pulled. After I threw out the pilot chute (neptune said depl. 3200 ft) my canopy immediately spun me into three or four line twists. The canopy was also spinning and diving. I managed to kick out of the line twists by 2000 ft but the canopy was still diving and turning. I went up to reach for what I thought was a brake fire and the rear grommets on my slider had come down over my toggles. I was going through 1800 ft and decided to get rid of it instead of messing with the slider to release the other brake. The reserve opened fine and I landed next to my chopped main and freebag.

It turns out after inspecting the canopy that I had packed it with only one brake stowed. I've been packing since I was ten. This is the first time that I know of where I've done this.

Variables:

It was only my second jump on this particular canopy. I had just changed over from a semi-eliptical to an eliptical. (safire to xf). I had not experienced the diving and spinning before. That combined with the slider coming down over my toggles just presented me with too many things to fix before my decision altitude of 1800ft. I *think* I could have dealt with the slider and the brake situation but would have been a lot lower than I was comfortable with. I'm happy with the decision I made. With another 50 or so jumps on this canopy I'm not sure that it would have been a chop.

Things I've learned:

There is no place for complacency in packing or any other part of skydiving. I fucked up my own pack job. No excuses for that.

I'm happy with my hard deck. Could I have fixed the brake issue? probably - but I don't know how low I would have been. I was unfamiliar with the canopy to a large degree and turning faster than I was used too. The slider wasn't collapsed so there was also a bunch of fabric partially obstructing my view of the toggles. I think in the long run I am happier cutting away at my predetermined altitude then having a main flying straight by 1000-1400ft.

Bad packing and flying a unfamiliar canopy led to this.

Play safe everyone!
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

It turns out after inspecting the canopy that I had packed it with only one brake stowed.

Thanks for taking the time to share this. Would you mind explaining how you were able to determine that you hadn't stowed one of the brakes? Are you sure you made a mistake and that it wasn't just one of those random things that happen?
Owned by Remi #?

Mark - I did have a RSL on this jump.

[Reply]Thanks for taking the time to share this. Would you mind explaining how you were able to determine that you hadn't stowed one of the brakes? Are you sure you made a mistake and that it wasn't just one of those random things that happen?

The toggle was "stowed" securely in place but it wasn't placed through the loop in the brake line. With a brake fire during opening the toggle would have to become unsecured from the riser.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Dude I love your attitude!

Way to go, I think you rocked it out!

If everyone quit making excuses and learned from their and other's mistakes the sky would be much safer.

THANK YOU! :D:)

--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

I managed to get my canopy to the point of putting the bag in the container before realizing my brakes weren't stowed. I had put them in their keepers but not through the eye in the control line. I noticed it when I was stowing my risers. Something seemed really wierd about that packjob, but i choked it up to the fact that I was confused and stressed out. Mind you this was during my AFF course. We weren't allowed to stow brakes in the landing area (something I always do, w/o fail) so it was just out of my normal routine.

Mind you, that is totally unrelated to your problem.

Good on you for doing what you felt best and living to tell about it!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Mind you this was during my AFF course. We weren't allowed to stow brakes in the landing area (something I always do, w/o fail)

Wow, that's pretty "boot camp." Was that because you were expected to get somewhere to debrief as soon as possible?
Owned by Remi #?

The toggle was "stowed" securely in place but it wasn't placed through the loop in the brake line. With a brake fire during opening the toggle would have to become unsecured from the riser.

Hope you didn't tear out the elastic keeper like I did when I made that mistake. It's a cheap repair, but takes time to get it done.

Ever since I incorrectly stowed a brake, I've taken the time to give each brakeline a little tug after I've set it. It's not strength testing or anything, just enough of a tug to let you actually SEE that the brake is correctly set. And it only takes a moment.

Anyway, good job on the cutaway, especially under a new and unfamiliar canopy with higher performing characteristics. You honored your hard deck and had too much on your plate with everything that was going on. Far too many skydivers have died trying to invent a fix for a canopy that wouldn't behave. The quickest, simplest, and most reliable fix is the two handles on your harness. You lived AND learned something you won't forget. Good job !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Mind you this was during my AFF course. We weren't allowed to stow brakes in the landing area (something I always do, w/o fail)

Wow, that's pretty "boot camp." Was that because you were expected to get somewhere to debrief as soon as possible?

Supposed to be paying attention to what the student is doing under canopy and there was a general feel that its dangerous to do because you aren't paying attention to everyone else who is landing.

I'm just capable of doing both well enough that I feel safe stowing where I land. I dealt with it for the course cause I had to and I learned something about complacency too.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Marcel

Glad you're ok!!!!

Way to stay smart and stick with the plan!!

I hope I do as well when my turn comes
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

...and there was a general feel that it's dangerous to do because you aren't paying attention to everyone else who is landing.

This is why I teach my students to simply stow the toggles in the landing area while keeping a sharp eye out for others landing even while walking off the landing field. Setting brakes, IMHO, is part of the packing process, not the landing process.

Every second you are in the landing field presents another opportunity for a youngster to hit you.

Once had a discussion with an experienced jumper about setting brakes while standing on the target in the peas with his back to oncoming traffic. He was very nice about it and admitted his error in both standing there AND not paying attention.

and I learned something about complacency too.

Good stuff. ALL of us need reminding...constantly.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Congrats buddy. What size xfire was it? Was it mine? My xfire 2 almost never gets line twists but they quickly get very exiting the few times I've had them.

I normally correct my heading using harness turns and rear risers right after I open so I tend to not figure out when I have a brake unstowed until I notice that I'm holding down one riser to my shoulder and flying straight. Then I realize it and release the other brake. You can burn through a lot of altitude quickly.

I think I once set one brake outside/above the riser ring so it just ripped out the toggle keeper when I opened. Oops, but it was a cheap and easy fix.

Good job.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

I landed next to my chopped main and freebag.

It turns out after inspecting the canopy that I had packed it with only one brake stowed. I've been packing since I was ten. This is the first time that I know of where I've done this.

Landed next to BOTH your main AND your freebag? You lucky bastard!!!

I'm a packer too and I've caught brake stow jobs that were done incorrectly by people with hundred of jumps. Even if the brakes are already stowed, I always double check them to make sure they are correct.

Good job on learning from your mistakes, and sharing it with us.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

I traveled overseas with my rig in a regulation carry-on. I checked and re-checked my brakes throughout the entire process (side packed). I hadn't jumped at all, the day I packed it and allocated the entire evening to inspecting and packing it. My rig fit in the carry-on but I had to roll the risers under a bit. I transported the rig and exercised great caution, to prevent any unnecessary jostling around.

I normally repack before EVERY jump but an unplanned and somewhat uniqe opportunity attacked and there wasn't time for a repack. I soon let loose what quickly evolved into one of the nastiest furballs ever seen by human eyes. One of the toggles had worked out of the loop and released, apparently from rolling the risers under and the resultant shifting, during transport. Thank God for the RSL!

I've since had the toggle pockets sewn onto my risers and will never again, ignore my self-imposed repack restrictions. I see too many people toss their freshly packed rigs around rather carelessly. It's not always a bad packjob.
"T'was ever thus."