Nutz

Do You Ever Question Your Rigger?

I'm sure they'd understand.
***who cares if they understand? It's your life. You take your gear to as many riggers as you feel like if that's what makes you feel safe.Hell, I asked my rigger if he ever had a loss. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about me. It's my gear and until I am allowed to pack my own reserve, I'll take it wherever I choose and ask whatever questions I choose. Your rigger has to be someone you trust, but don't just trust him because he's a nice guy, or he's the only one in your area.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

i havent, but look at this way: we aint qualified or experience to do the work, so how in the world are we to be sure the work was done capably other than trust the professional.

second opinions are commonplace in medicine where the practitioners are dealing with things that might kill ya, sometime later.

rigger is workin on something that might kill ya right fuckin now, so i would say that any rigger that would have a problem with you checkin his work is a rigger that you should have a problem with do the work in the first place.

$.02
namaste, motherfucker.

It is your right to know what he does, and he should be willing to answer any reasonable questions you may have about anything pertaining to your rig.

If you want to spend the money on another rigger to check his work, then I would say go for it. but if he opens the reserve, then he will have to repack it, he cannot just peek....

What is your rigger doing that makes you question his work?

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

If you are at all worried about anything done during your repack, then you should absolutely get a second oppinion. Nobody can give you a solid YES or NO as to weather or not your rigger will be offended because I'm sure there are tons of riggers on either side of the fence on that one... However dude, I agree with the one that said: "It's your life." Don't chance it man.

I took my rig to get a repack and it came back a little bulgy... so I took it to someone else to get redone... They both knew eachother and I made no reservations about it... and that was only cosmetic!

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

> Is it "in bad taste" to ask for a second opinion or maybe let another
>rigger check his work?

Not at all. It's your rig, not his (or hers.)

>Would your rigger be upset?

No. Of course I'm getting married to her so we don't have your usual rigger-jumper relationship. I've known a great many riggers who would get upset though. After all, they're gear experts, how dare you question them etc.

> If he was, would this raise a red flag?

No more than any other skydiver ego should. There are a lot of big egoes out there.

Is it "in bad taste" to ask for a second opinion or maybe let another rigger check his work? Would your rigger be upset? If he was, would this raise a red flag? Just wondering.

Thankfully, I have a really good rigger, and trust him implicitly. He is only one of two about whom I feel that way -- the other one is overly cautious, and I have no problem with that.

I say, go for the second opinion -- who cares if the first guy is offended? You don't ever have to go back to that one -- and most likely he/she'll only be offended if the other rigger disagrees with the diagnosis. But at that point you'll have a new rigger, so what does it matter?

A couple of years ago a Navy skydiver bounced because the reserve failed to open.
After examining the rig it was determined a rigger left a tool (used to pack the reserve) in the rig, therefore the reserve was useless.
You won't find anything on this due to the fact that military accidents are not filed with the USPA.
I heard it from another navy skydiver on the same load.
That is all I know, so please hold all questions

Nick D

The key to Immortality is- first living a life worth remembering”

Is it "in bad taste" to ask for a second opinion or maybe let another rigger check his work?

- As newbie in this sport - riggers were like gods -, I respected the hell outa them until I learned that you can get different opinions from different riggers and rules where different in other countries. This is very freaky for a newbie and makes it hard to respect riggers for their value in this sport. I have learned to get a second opinion and have never felt this was "in bad taste."

Smiles;)

If my rigger had such an ego problem that he/she would get upset about it, I would get another rigger. That same ego might carry over to bad workmanship in the sense that he/she probably never thinks he/she is wrong.

Personally, I trust my rigger with my life. But I've seen him work and I think he has a good attention to detail and cares about his job. Plus I've watched him pack my reserve and he's watched me pack mine too. When I see someone work, I get an idea of how good they are. Why not ask to watch your rigger pack your reserve sometime?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The doctor analogy is apt.

It's your rig.

If you get a hinky feeling from your rigger, go elsewhere

If you have a question, you are completely entitled to ask it imperfectly, and have it answered to your satisfaction.

If you never give your rigger the opportunity to answer your question in the first place, then it's still your reserve, but you might be losing an opportunity to let your rigger shine, and he or she might already have part of the answer.

It's your rig. That's in there twice because it's the key.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)