dropdeded

LA Freeway Chase

A stinger rocket in the hands of the police would put those things to a very quick end...

Stingers are for use against aircraft, not vehicles...B|

What might be more effective (and kewl!) wouuld be a directable beam of energy that bollixes the ignition system in the runaway vehicle, making it just quit working.

Wouldn't work on a diesel, tho....:D
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

*shrug*

I'm not in the military...eitherway, it would be nice to just see someone fucking fire something and blow one of those cars up.

Car chases seems like a damn game over there in CA.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

*shrug*

I'm not in the military...eitherway, it would be nice to just see someone fucking fire something and blow one of those cars up.

Car chases seems like a damn game over there in CA.

High-speed chases are a real problem. Until there is a means of disabling the runaway vehicle, compromises must be made.

A few years ago in downtown Seattle, there was a horrendous accident during a high-speed chase. That resulted in a back-off policy being put in place, but that doesn't work either.

Some means of making the runaway stop without harm is badly needed.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Some means of making the runaway stop without harm is badly needed.

Unfortunately, it's a very difficult engineering problem and to date no system seems to be good at stoping all vehicles & drivers.

I've seen some pretty outlandish ideas proposed, but they all fail in one way or another.

I think the only real solution would be some sort of computer chip in the vehicles that allowed the "authorities" to remotely shut off the engine, but even that has practicle issues, besides the obvious outcry that you'd hear from civial liberties groups.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Unfortunately, it's a very difficult engineering problem and to date no system seems to be good at stoping all vehicles & drivers.

TOW missiles would be pretty effective.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Well, I'm guessing you'd have some 'xplainin' to do if for some reason the missle missed and hit a soccer mom's SUV.

Collateral Damage. It seems to be acceptable when the "damagee" isn't American. In Seattle and LA, chances are the "victim" is a foreigner anyway.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

I thought there was work on a tazer type idea where you could surge a high voltage into the target vehicle and fry the ignition module/computer that cars have and basically killing the engine.

Or maybe that was the idea I meant to submit via Inventor's Submission Corporation. I think I sent off for their free information pack.

David

i remember seeing something on tv a few years ago like that. it was a little skateboard sized contraption that was mounted under the front of the police car. they got lined up behind the guy, lowered this thing down, small rocket motors ignited and the thing accelerated away from the patrol car and under the target car. there was a high capacity capacitor or something and some metal 'fingers' on the contraption that rubbed the bottom of the car it ran under and the capacitor discharged though the 'fingers' into the target car, instantly frying any onboard electronics, including the ignition. instant shutdown of the car, end of chase.

also, isn't there a component of 'on-star' that can limit the top speed of a vehicle via sattelite?
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I thought there was work on a tazer type idea where you could surge a high voltage into the target vehicle and fry the ignition module/computer that cars have and basically killing the engine.

You're going to have a really tough time making any sort of tazer connection that would short out the electrical. Think about the paths of least resistance and why would the electrons want to flow into the cars electronics?

Also, even if you could get it to work, once the engine dies, you've also probably lost a significant amount of control over the vehicle. Meaning that it might not come to a controlled stop.

I think a microwave pulse fired from a helicopter might not be a bad idea, but that still has issues in the controlled stop area.
quade -

I've never spent a significant anount of time in LA but your post reminded me of Steve Martin in "La Story" where he's driving along shooting on the freeway and "Chase" with Flea and the other guy from the Chili Peppers being "Road Warriors".

Vigilante's on the road with guns. Quick somebody Gary Coleman with a quick policy update.

David

Is Anna Nichol Smith running too?

No. California has never needed the likes of Anna Nichol Smith.

I guess that unless you grew up in LA you wouldn't know her, but we have Angelyne.

Mostly famous for desperately trying to be famous by putting billboards of herself all over town. And, uh, yeah, she's running.
quade -