The111

Sub terminal drills

I got Dennis Rodman to help. The speed star really is the event that the crowds come out to see!

So...ummm...if necrophilia is the uncontrollable urge to crack open a cold one, what's the proper Latin term for skydiving with a corpse?;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Ya know, the very worst thing about sub-terminal drills is when you get back to the packing area, your team mates take your rig and give you a freshly packed one so you have to hussle and get on the next plane.

I guess they have an nearly unlimited stash of rigs, because you don't have to pack them until the end of the day.

Whew, that sucks.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Ya know, the very worst thing about sub-terminal drills is when you get back to the packing area, your team mates take your rig and give you a freshly packed one so you have to hussle and get on the next plane.

I guess they have an nearly unlimited stash of rigs, because you don't have to pack them until the end of the day.

Whew, that sucks.

It's even more convenient when you land on top of a building, a drug bust starts going down, and your rig is already packed and on your back again (and set up for BASE!) so you can escape.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Now, all kidding aside, the movie actually does have some very good and believe it or not very truthful aspects to it. How it "feels" to be a student, your first dz romance, the guys that actually do cutaway and live at the dz . . .

I'm guessing here, but I'll bet you a buck that if you look around your drop zone, you'll recognise pretty much every single character in Cutaway. The only character that I saw that was really out of place was the asshole GK team leader. I've never seen that. I've seen some generic assholes in competition, yes, but the GKs? No. I thought the movie was very truthful and honest in the "feeling" and "vibe" of skydiving and competition, if not completely factual in the way that some things were done.
quade -

Now, all kidding aside. The movie actually does have some very good and believe it or not very truthful aspects to it. How it "feels" to be a student, your first dz romance, the guys that actually do cutaway and live at the dz . . .

I'm guessing here, but I'll bet you a buck that if you look around your drop zone, you'll recognise pretty much every single character in Cutaway. The only character that I saw that was really out of place was the asshole GK team leader. I've never seen that. Generic assholes in competition, yes, but the GKs? I thought the movie was very truthful and honest in the "feeling" and "vibe" of skydiving and competition, if not completely factual in the way that some things were done.

The first time that I watched Cut Away I thought it was the worse skydiving movie yet. But after I watched it again, I got the same impression as you. It's a movie. It's supposed to be entertainment not a documentary. The only problem is that the skydivers in these movies are always criminals.

never pull low......unless you are

Even in Cutaway they're not ALL criminals -- as a matter of fact, 6 out of the 8-way have no idea how things are being paid for.

That said, the movie seems to be based in fact on the drug running to finance a team aspect, because, um . . . it has happened. Sadly, I can't actually back that one up since very little has actully been written about it, but ask some old timers at your dz and I'm sure they'll fill you in on the fairly widely known rumor version at least.
quade -

Even in Cutaway they're not ALL criminals -- as a matter of fact, 6 out of the 8-way have no idea how things are being paid for.

Didn't the kid have a grant to study how the randomness of falling formations [and how Redline uses ESP to get there:P]?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I agree - I think it's one of the better skydiving movies, depsite the terrible acting, because it comes closer to a "real" DZ experience than the other movies. Lots of phony Hollywood stuff for sure, but quite a few things that skydivers can relate to.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD