leroydb

Theoretical Idea

Place: in hurricane weather (with no hazardous objects)

equipment: 2 hooks in ground perpindicualr to the wind, harness with D rings on front. 2 ropes or cables, Birdman suit

Idea: route harness like a normal rig, hook cables up (one on each side) ((use 2 cables for stablility, opposed to 1 cable)) Add hurricane like winds

Endstate: Possible flight a few feet off the ground.

issues: death, instability,........

would make some cool ass video...

how much wind can those movie maker type fans push?
hell jsut go for the hurricane winds...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Place: in hurricane weather (with no hazardous objects)

equipment: 2 hooks in ground perpindicualr to the wind, harness with D rings on front. 2 ropes or cables, Birdman suit

Idea: route harness like a normal rig, hook cables up (one on each side) ((use 2 cables for stablility, opposed to 1 cable)) Add hurricane like winds

Endstate: Possible flight a few feet off the ground.

Name: Human Kite
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Setting this up in a high-speed wind tunnel (like those used for airplane testing, etc) would be a more practical idea. Infact, I don't know why someone hasn't tried that yet. Also, it would be possible to have some sort of padded landing area/crash area on the floor.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That goes along with the idea that I'd love to see a canopy windtunnel trainer. It would be possible, but expensive as all hell to build. Computerized wind management to change airflow and speed to match what you're doing under canopy, i.e. extreme speeds for ultra small canopies doing diving turns, etc.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

...and electrocution from lightning...ala Edison and the kite... :S:D:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

LMAO.......Got late into the thread....

But don't forget the little issue of DEBRIS...B|B|

would be on the coast for a hurricane... what would fly off of the ocean? fish?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

yeah, I believe it's in crosswinds or something like that.

Wow Sky:ph34r:! That's some video I'd love to see. I was under the impression that the Birdmen suits slowed your freefall quite a bit, and have an awsome glide, but I didn't think they actually provided lift, which would be needed to lift off from the ground, no matter how high the winds were. (Well, except for when the winds get high enough to throw a human around anyway, but that's defeating the purpose.)

If this really has been done, I have a newfound respect for those suits, and would love to try one out next year in Rantoul.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

It's true, they tethered old boy up in an industrial wind tunnel used for testing wings, turned the fan on and BAM he was up and flying. As for providing lift in a true sense, no, they do not do that. The only way we can accomplish that is by increasing forward speed(read diving) for a few seconds and then pop it out hard to get lift.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Flying a spinnaker off of a boat is kinda like that and huge fun. I think they did it in Jaws. You clip a harness to the foot of a spinnaker. As the sail fills, it lifts you up out of the water. As it reaches the top, it spills its air and dips you in again. B|

To try the hurricane thing? Imagine snapping a wet towel onto your kitchen floor about 400 times with you on the tip of the towel. :o