denete

No belts!

...Marines wear garter belts? Hm... interesting :D

Goes well with the fishnet stockings...ask gonzalezna.

Surprised he hasn't come in here with a snappy retort yet... Oh yeah, this isn't The Bonfire... :D

As for snag points, I almost lost my ring finger once when I snagged the wedding band on the "L" bracket setting up an exit years ago. Got a nasty blood blister out of that, but hey, better that than losing the damn thing. Oh yeah, riser slap, been there done that. Worst one was on a CRW jump where I thought I didn't need a helmet. Dump... WHACK!! OWW GODDAMN IT!!!! It wasn't your standard narrow risers, it was those bulky wide CRW risers. Gave me a huge knot on one temple. Although it hurt and made the fit uncomfortably tight the rest of the day, I made the effort to put my helmet on for the following jumps.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

...Marines wear garter belts? Hm... interesting :D

Goes well with the fishnet stockings...ask gonzalezna.

Surprised he hasn't come in here with a snappy retort yet... Oh yeah, this isn't The Bonfire... :D

Hey Y'all-
With two sons in the Marine Corps I have given them both the red ass about their dress "garters" on many occasions (they call them "shirt stays") - but I have to admit they do work. They are both jumpers so they take it well:P
As for the riser slap, I have managed in my short number of jumps to have one of those due to bad body position on opening- it left me with three bloody spots on my face, one for each ring....

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Same with Velcroed shoes.

Same with jumpsuits with Velcroed wrist/leg bands instead of elastic.

Really? I've never heard of those as being safety hazards. Have any of those ever really caused a horseshoe? I'm not saying you're wrong. I just have a lot of years jumpmastering and I've never been briefed that those were dangerous.

Wouldn't it take one huge honking piece of velcro to keep a thrown pilot chute and/or bridle in place at 120 MPH?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Dunno. I've jumped with just a shirt tucked into my pants (being a girl, belts aren't quite as necessary). I find that my shirt can fly up so that it's quite thoroughly covering my handles if it comes untucked. Obviously I've only discovered this once, but I'd sure rather have a belt, particularly if I were to secure the end with an elastic or something, than have my shirt fly up over my handles again.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That's better done by younger ladies who haven't had as much effect from gravity...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Then you're too young. Been there, done that. In at least two different airplanes :D. But I was younger then...

Wendy W.

..shirt can fly up so that it's quite thoroughly covering my handles if it comes untucked.

Yep, BTDT. Wasn't so hard to work with as compared to getting a snagged line off.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I learned this lesson the hard way because nobody told me otherwise and I am an Idiot.

Belt flew off just deployment time, but the buckle kept it stuck to my dumb ass. After a few hundred feet of tracking and getting slapped in the ass by the thing I decided that if it was indeed my leg strap, delaying the deployment would kill me faster than riding 1/2 a harness down. Worked out ok though B|. Gave my heart a start though.

I never wore a belt again, and when I jump with a T shirt I pull the shirt tails down through my leg straps and out to the side so that they're stuck. As long as my leg straps are tight, that thing isn't going anywhere. No belt required!

--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training