aeroflyer

Webbing / Harness wear

Hi all, I've had my harness for about a year and 35 jumps (yes I am trying to jump more) and have a question about how the material can suffer wear. On the harness at the hip rings, I think the leg straps have been rubbing together where they go around the ring, causing the webbing to become fuzzy / worn there. I am going to ask the local rigger to evaluate it to be sure its safe, but is there any way to avoid this kind of wear? Is it okay to take a lighter to those fuzzy hairs by the hip rings? By the reserve handle it looks to be wearing at the edge as well. Perhaps the the blue webbing I chose for the harness is less dense than the other kinds? The stuff on my rock climbing harness seems very tightly woven in comparison and has suffered little damage over 5 years of abuse. Also the chest strap webbing seems to be a lot more durable and must be a different kind?

I've talked to the manufacturer (wings) and they have been great to deal with and are more than happy to sort out my issues. I think if the main lift web is made a big longer the hip rings will be better placed and the material won't rub together as much.

Pictures attached.. let me know what you think.

Hi areo,

I do not & will not speak for Sunrise, the mfr of your rig. I will only offer some thoughts.

They have the letters HR on them and a pentagon with the letter W inside.

The hardware was made by Wichard, look here:

http://www.wichard-usa.com/

I've talked to the manufacturer (wings) and they have been great to deal with and are more than happy to sort out my issues.

IMO these are the ONLY people that you should be talking to about this problem.

Is it okay to take a lighter to those fuzzy hairs by the hip rings?

Absolutely do not do this; you may do additional damage that you do not notice. And that would not be a nice thing. Save the lighter for the fuzz on your socks only. :P

is there any way to avoid this kind of wear?

I am not intimately familiar with the harness construction; talk to the mfr.

I've had my harness for about a year and 35 jumps

Do you know how many total jumps on the rig? IMO This the type of info that Sunrise would want to know.

I hope that this helps somewhat; but talk to Sunrise,

JerryBaumchen

That looks like normal wear and tear on a ringed harness.

DO NOT apply a flame to the frays, that is a rigger's job.

You may continue to jump the harness as long as the yellow ID thread is intact.
When that yellow ID thread breaks, mail it back to Wings for rebuild.

Coated Webbing (condition "R") is more durable, but that decision must be made by the Wings factory.

If I jump in a T-shirt I don't pull it through the rings, but through the leg straps so it doesn't cover the handles.

I heard from several people it was okay to remove the hairs with a lighter as long as I didn't burn the webbing, and I did do this [:/] however I was going to take it to the APF rigger so he could see it before I made a jump. I think at this point I will just send it back to the factory. The wings guys said it would only be a 2 day turnaround. I guess this is a lesson learned leave any of these issues even minor to the riggers.

edited for spelling

Hi aero ( again ),

Since you are sending it back & you said: I think if the main lift web is made a big longer the hip rings will be better placed and the material won't rub together as much.

I would suggest that you send them your measurements so that it can be properly sized for you. Now is the time to address this matter.

Best of luck with it,

JerryBaumchen

Thanks jerry. Yes, they suggested I take some photos so it can be adjusted. I'll take it to the rigger before it gets sent back and see what they think about the fit.. also for the disassembly. I might have to wait till I get back to Canada to ship it in.. otherwise i'll have a reserve main etc in parts to bring back in my baggage.. not sure how that would go.

Update: head apf rigger in australia said it was fine at the moment.. but not a good thing to have happening (over time). I found a similar SB from the relative workshop where this type of damage was caused by jumpers putting a rubber band on their hip rings to secure their t-shirt

http://web.archive.org/web/20060311215657/http://www.relativeworkshop.com/pdf_files/09122.pdf

So basically, back to the factory to get fixed before it gets too bad to jump

So basically, back to the factory to get fixed before it gets too bad to jump

It's fine. Those strands are from normal wear. Keep an eye on it for 1000 jumps.

If you're sending it back to be resized, that's fine, but it's not even close to needing repair.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Mick,

Are talking about the original photos or Dan's stuff?:S

The original stuff is normal and okay. But Dan has some significant damage example.

Hi Mick.;)

Still jumping my Reflex (when I jump) and have another new old stock one to assemble.B|:)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Great post with the webbing damage tests. Since the time of the original post, I probably made another 30 jumps.. and it is looking worse than it did then. It's like a minor version of the "runway rash", but only on the edges where it curls under itself to go around the ring. Either way, I need the harness resized anyhow, so kill 2 birds with one stone.

Mick,

Are talking about the original photos or Dan's stuff?:S

The original stuff is normal and okay. But Dan has some significant damage example.

Hi Mick.;)

The original photos, where is "Dans stuff", I can't seem to find it in this thread. Good to hear that your Reflex (s) are still going strong.

Mick

Still jumping my Reflex (when I jump) and have another new old stock one to assemble.B|:)

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/Wilcox_Webbing_Tests.pdf

Looks like I got the first link wrong. Here is the link.

This is the testing that Dan Wilcox did in the early 90's. UPT had it hanging in the shop and republished it. I had a set of photos of the posters that I took in either 1991 or 1993. I've referred to them a number of times over the years to convice people that their tired harness really was somewhat degraded.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE