BravestDog

Square Canopy use, non jumping questions. What can they be used for?

Wondering how a square canopy with lines attached can be used? It's a Falcon 265 model.

Can anyone give me some suggestions besides car cover, ceiling cover...

I'm thinking more dynamic stuff like a giant kite etc. Can a square canopy be flown like a giant kite? What type of wind speeds do you need? How does one hold it?

A text description or website would be helpful.

Thanks.

I'm thinking more dynamic stuff like a giant kite etc.

If you do manage to use it as a kite, pick a very windy day and call me..............I would pay to see you drug all over the place, hell it could be enough to win on a.f.v.

What size is the canopy? It can be used as a kite, I've seen and done it. It's quite fun actually. If the wind is questionably high and you just HAVE to try it, tie yourself down or something. You can kite it in winds around 10-15 mph without worrying about being dragged about, depending on the canopy. If it's a monster skybarge, you'll probably be dragged around a little, but that's part of the fun right? :P

I'm thinking more dynamic stuff like a giant kite etc.

If you do manage to use it as a kite, pick a very windy day and call me..............I would pay to see you drug all over the place, hell it could be enough to win on a.f.v.

This type of thing is one of them _must_ have video moments!

:):P:)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I'm thinking more dynamic stuff like a giant kite etc. Can a square canopy be flown like a giant kite? What type of wind speeds do you need? How does one hold it?

Maybe attached to your car it could be used as a kite. On a windy day a 25 sq/ft kite can literally drag me across the landing area, a 34 does the same thing, only quicker and I'm a big guy at 6'1" and 220lbs. If you do decide to try the kite experiment be sure to get video!

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

get 500' of ski rope and a boat and zoom across the lake. just my .02

Bad answer. Rounds are okay for that but a ram-air is the last thing you want to put someone with no canopy experience under....even while in tow.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Step 1 - Find a very fast car.

Step 2 - tie canopy lines to the back seat of the very fast car.

Step 3 - dump the canopy in the boot of the very fast car

Step 4 - drive the very fast car down a long straight quarter mile, very fast!!!!!!

Step 5 - Just on braking time, pull the handle to open the boot of your car.

Step 6 - Tell me what happens

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

I used to use my Fury (220sqft) as a kite (it's now my CRW canopy! ;))

Take off the slider, and put it on an old pair of risers. You can use it just like that to learn how to fly it. Then attach a rope, or pair of ropes, to the big rings on the risers, and let it fly...got my Fury up to 100ft on a windy day at the DZ, and it dragged me on my arse the length of the (grass!) runway! Well that's my excuse for the green stains on my jumpsuit...best thing is, if you need to stop at any point, just let go, and the canopy collapses...Enjoy!
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

not a very peformant kite I guess.
DO NOT TIE YOURSELF TO IT, AND TO A CAR. Enough people died doing things like that.
Try and fly it as a paraglider in winter going down skislopes.
If you want to kite, buy a kite, or buy a small HP canopy, that'll make a good powerkite, but ask a kiter how to use it.
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579