ypelchat

Does anyone performs a head count after a load, at your DZ?

We did a back yard demo once out of a Cessna. We planned to build a five way out of the 206. It was a spur of the moment thing. When we got on the ground one guy was missing. Noone saw his canopy open. It was the drop zone owner's kid who we thought exited last. There was some tense moments and then we figured out maybe he didn't exit and jumped by himself back into our old DZ. He got a scolding for this. He should have said that his plan was different from ours and it could have saved some worrying by the rest of us.

Another time we had two Cessnas coming back from a jump meet in the old days. The plan was to have a formation load when we got back to town. Both planes were full of jumpers. There was a girl on our plane who somehow missed out on exactly what was happening. She thought we were just building another four way out of the 180 and never saw the other plane. So we went out to build a star and then she noticed these strange jumpers flying out of nowhere to join in on the fun. It kind of freaked her out because she couldn't figure out where they were coming from. Another case of mis-communication......Steve1

A few years ago a guy died in Eloy on a late afternoon jump. No one realized he was missing. An employee of the restaraunt found his body 2? days later.

I always look for those in my group, but I honestly would not notice if a solo on the same plane failed to return.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

A little over a year ago, I was invited to a small event out at Carolina Skysports. When finished filling out our waivers, we were given a "jump card." When we manifest, we had to give manifest that card. Once we landed and walked in, the cards were in a file type sleeve on the wall. As we walked by, we took our cards. If there was still a card left in the sleeve, they knew someone hadn't come in. It's a great system and I don't know if they use it anymore.
When doing a bigger event with formation loads. Each aircraft has to check in with someone that has a check in sheet.
At my home DZs the loads are small enough and there are enough people watching, that they can see if someone has a problem. Now, it they can only get cars out to pick up the off landing jumpers faster, that would be the bomb.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

If someone goes in, someone will know about it. Therefore, we don't do a head count.

Dont do the head count if you want, but dont dissilusion yourself....[:/]

Wasn't there a guy last year in Florida who was missing for a while before someone noticed him missing?

I've only done it on bigger ways and only for the group I was with. Night jumps, definitely.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

if someone hops on a load w/o a jump ticket and bumps a paying jumper off their load theres a head count

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky