Dagny

Biking more dangerous than skydiving!

It's always debated about the safety of skydiving versus other things...like driving everyday. I'd like to nominate cycling as a more dangerous activity. No, I haven't done research and I don't have any numbers to impress you with, but here's my story.

I bought my road bike about a month ago and it is really beautiful! A cannondale r600 with a caad 5 frame in orange and yellow. Little did I know how fickle and painful beauty can be.

-I got my first flat after cruising over a rocky pothole. Tried to fix it, but ended up blowing CO2 from the cartridges into the atmosphere instead.
Result: walked a mile back to car carrying precious bike.

-I got my second flat on the rear tire the day I finally fixed the first flat. (this endeavour took three full days, by the way)
Result: I was out of co2 cartridges, the atmosphere would live to see another day, but I had to walk over two miles back to car. (not comfortable on bike cleats)

-Started having problems unclipping the right foot from the pedal. Made a mental note to myself about it, but still managed...twice!...to tip over in front of people while trying unsuccesfully to unclip.
Result: embarassment...and lots of it.

-Went on my first group bike ride yesterday. Started out really well until I was dropped about 9 miles into the ride. I couldn't hold the 26mph pace and fell behind. I wasn't too far behind, but still missed the "search party" that was looking for me and ended up riding alone on heavily trafficked streets where drivers think six inches of clearance and no reduction in speed is a fair compromise. Found another group of riders and started drafting on them for fun until I realized that we were riding farther away from my car. Started back to home (2 hours into the ride) and found myself alone facing a strong headwind on a street with no bike space. Succeeded in wiping out after a car buzzed me into rocks and gravel.
Result: 30 miler--->exhaustion, painful wrist, road rash and a little blood. Was offered a ride back to my car after someone stopped to help me...a blessing as I was DONE biking after that and still 10 miles away from being finished.

While I don't really feel like skydiving is safer than cycling, I'd rather take my chances under a parachute! :P Just kidding...hey, don't let my bike know...she's a moody little biotch and is likely to punish me later for saying that! ;)
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

I hear you! I have been biking for a number of years now. Race Downhill, and ride a lot of freeride. Drops, ladder bridges, road gaps the whole thing.

my injuries are broken left arm, broke 6 out of 10 fingers, broken collabone, dislocated shoulder, broken nose, shattered wrist that resulted in pins, screws, and plates...umm I think thats it.

Below is a pic of the hot PINK intense M1. Fun bike...nothing like 9 inchs of suspension travel.
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

WOW, you could be killed doing that. What would your mother think if she knew???? If you chose to risk your life in this fashion, be my guest

1.....donked by a car in Boston...more of an acquaintance than anything.
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.

Just so you know, I was being facetious about biking being safer than skydiving...:)
But, since you asked....I worked as a paramedic in New Orleans and since there aren't any dz's there and I'm only a fledgling skydiver, I have actually seen many, many bicyclists struck by cars who died. I can't even remember how many at this point...
I haven't personally seen or known any skydiving deaths other than those discussed here. And, while this may sound naive, I'd like to keep it that way! Safe landings to all!!!!B|

BoostedXT - Dude, that is one serious ride you have there! I know you've gotta be hardcore about taking drops on that bike. I love my mountain bike, too...but it can take a lot more of a beating than I can!

Jayruss - LOL! :Dhehehe...my mother doesn't know I bike! And I won't even mention what she's had to say about skydiving! (Okay, maybe just a little...has anyone else's mom wished them injury so they would stop doing "stupid" things???? :S)
-Salvador Dali

Well, sub zero temperatures here, and I'm riding my bike in traffic every day to work.
Soon there will be snow :S, and I'll need to change to spiked tires
;)

Skydiving is probably still more dangerous, but I still get some kicks from biking :)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

cannondale r600 with a caad 5 frame in orange and yellow. Little did I know how fickle and painful beauty can be.

Sweet bike!!

I owned a Motobecane Vent Noir, silver sky blue. It weighed at or less than 20 lbs. A real fast bike. More for racing than road. Every bell and whistle and a super sweet computer.

You have to pick your road rather well or change out your race tires or road crap is going to give you hell. Lucky you have a group that you can draft off of as well as your chase vehicle.

I found a pretty decent road in Fayettnam where I started riding. Nobody ruined my jet stream there, but I suspect 'people' slowed to check the butt as I wasnt far from the base. No matter, when you are riding that fast you dont have time to take surveys.

I rode 21 mph for 10-12 miles each morning when I moved back to Houston. This was on a new road. Later on when the road became ultra popular for bikers. There were idiots who frequently swished us on purpose. My Dr friend was thrashed pretty good even in a pack. My other friend lost some teeth and broke a forearm.

I got caught way out facing a big headwind on the way back with rain. I rode inbetween 2 towns 11 miles apart. The extra weight of the rain even with tights was horrid. I had a light jacket with some light fleece inside. It was winter. By the time I got back my legs were unable to hold me up. At one point the wind changed and I swear I was riding at some 70 degree angle. I cant remember what my computer read. I didnt care that time.

I thought about training for the Hotter Than Hell 100, (100 miles in hundred degree weather) here in Texas. But quickly I abandoned that idea after seeing the course.

I never clipped my feet. I thought about it and I tried it. But I just felt better without.

My bike, amps, guitars, cameras, jewelry, and a Mini-14 were stolen from my apartment some years back. I have a $100 off coupon for a new bike and I have been measured, but - I get hurt less skydiving. Being a biker gets you real close to some perfectly shaped legs and butt. Tina Turner on a slightly smaller scale comes to mind.

There is a drome here just outside of Houston. I did witness an Olympic trial years ago. I wore a Red shirt and black tight little capris pants and it was against the Russians. All night people thought I was Russian. I was asked all kinds of stuff, mostly if I was KGB. :S Oh well, those were my favorite pants.

~AirAnn~

Litespeed Ocoee mountain bike and a Litespeed Tuscany road bike - I have no injuries from the road but I have dislocated a finger on the mountain bike before - I stopped riding the road bike because too many friends were ending up with broken collar bones due to circumstances beyond thier control (unleashed dogs) - I figured I was next - getting dropped on a long ride kind of sucks too - the mountain bike stays in my campy with me on the dz - maybe one day I'll get out and ride it again :)

Actually...

(from http://www.hwysafety.org/safety_facts/fatality_facts/bikes.htm) This is info on road biking fatalities. To my knowledge, it does not include any off-road fatalities.

* 725 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2001. This is 5 percent greater than in 2000, but down 28 percent since 1975.

* Eighty-two percent of bicyclists killed in 2001 reportedly weren't wearing helmets.

* Twenty-four percent of bicyclists killed in 2001 had a BAC of 0.08 or greater.

* Older bicyclists represent a larger percentage of bicycle deaths than in the past. Seventy-eight percent of 2001 bicycle deaths were riders 16 years and older. This compares with 32 percent of bicycle deaths in 1975.

* About 9 times as many bicycle deaths are males compared with females. At every age, more male than female bicyclists are killed. Deaths per million people are higher among males than females at all ages older than 4.

* Bicycle deaths per million people are highest among males 14 and 15 year-olds.

* Four states (California, Florida, New York, and Texas) accounted for 44 percent of bicycle deaths in 2001.

* More bicyclists were killed in urban areas than in rural areas (56 percent compared with 32 percent) in 2001.

* Thirty-three percent of bicycle deaths in 2001 occurred at intersections.

* Fifty-one percent of bicycle deaths in 2001 occurred on major roads, and 30 percent occurred on local roads.

* Forty-one percent of bicycle deaths among children younger than 16 and 26 percent of adult (age 16 and older) bicycle deaths occur on minor roads. Adult bicyclists are more likely than children to be killed on major roads (54 percent compared with 44 percent).

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

On road cycling is great. I havent done it much but the mixture of speed and drivers definitly gets your blood flowing. Everytime I cycled on the road I found myself heading into Boston and almost getting killed. Fun none the less though. Freeride and Downhill kind of took over my biking addiction though. I am doing this drop tomorrow, 13ft drop from take off to landing, and you had to clear a section of about 25ft in order to reach the landing. You hit it with so much speed its awesome. I will have some pics to get developed and I will post them up.

The photo below is something similar to what we dropped today, except there is no bridge work...just a launch from grass

I will have some pics to get developed and I will post them up.

Definitely share your pics! I don't know how you do it, I'm practically putting on body armour to roll over six inch drops when I'm mountain biking. Oops, sorry, apparently I'm not allowed to call it mountain biking since I ride in South Florida! :P Seems there are actual mountains or something out there somewhere...who knew?
:D
-Salvador Dali

Just go to the old phosphate quarys that what we do here in Central Florida.

So far skydiving = 1 broken tail bone
Road biking = 1 case of good old fashon road rash. I fell doing about 22 mph.
Mtb = 1 ACL reconstruction and to many to count bruises, cuts, scrapes, and I did not know that, insert any part of the body, would go in that direction.

But I love them all.

Yea the road bike scares me a lot more than skydiving ever will.

Bobby