redramdriver

Have you ever been asked to.....

send a rig, worth thousands of dollars, to a hopeful buyer for the sole purpose of inspection by their DZO/Rigger, without having any form of security. I have. The guy actually wanted me to send him/DZO/rigger a rig worth $4500 to him without one cent of security. Go figure.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

its actually not as uncommon as you may think. When I had my shop, people used to send gear to me for inspection before sale but it was always understood that if the rig went missing I'd be liable for it.
My shop was in Eloy and those sending their rigs to me understood that I wasn't likely going to bail with their gear.
Ask who the rigger is that the buyer wants you to send it to then check that rigger out. You'd be surprised how common this is and frankly it works quite well for all parties involved.

Edited to say that I always received the rig straight form the seller and did not turn the rig over to the buyer until funds had posted into the sellers account.
K

Yes.

On my current escrow-agent deal I'm sitting on both the $$ and the rig, waiting for both parties to respond to the finalization.

As a rigger it's not unusual to have $10s of thousands of somebody else's gear on hand.

If you're willing to give your rigger a rig for a repack why not a rig for sale? That's a peculiar line to draw.

If you don't know the rigger, ask around. It's not hard to find out about riggers.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Pretty common to send a rig to a trusted third party (DZO/Rigger) for inspection prior to a sale before money changes hands. Would you buy a used rig, from someone you don't know, without having it inspected prior to purchase?

Sort of like taking a used car to a mechanic for a check before purchase.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Thanks for all the advice I'm hearing on here. Not just a note for Ian. I'm learning every day. It seems more common than not to send the rig to a DZ/Rigger, but ask first for name and check for trustworthiness. But, as I'm also learning...the guy also bailed on the deal as soon as asked for anything of a security..without even a haggle on the price asked. Maybe I can steer him back to the deal. Thanks to everyone.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Thanks for all the advice I'm hearing on here. Not just a note for Ian. I'm learning every day. It seems more common than not to send the rig to a DZ/Rigger, but ask first for name and check for trustworthiness. But, as I'm also learning...the guy also bailed on the deal as soon as asked for anything of a security..without even a haggle on the price asked. Maybe I can steer him back to the deal. Thanks to everyone.

That is probably because he thought YOU were trying to scam him! Simply because the 3rd party DZO/rigger inspection is such a common selling device in the sport. Typically people are led to believe that if the seller won't do that they are trying to take your money and you won't get the gear you have bought.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What kind of procedure would everyone recommend in terms of selling an item to another person in a detailed manner??
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

>Have you ever been asked to send a rig, worth thousands of dollars,
>to a hopeful buyer for the sole purpose of inspection by their DZO/
>Rigger, without having any form of security.

Yep. It's pretty common. I've done it several times. How it works is:

1) Seller/buyer agree on a rigger or DZO
2) Seller sends rig to them, it is inspected
3) Buyer sends money to them
4) When rig passes inspection, rigger gives rig to buyer and money to seller

I would always opt not to send a rig out without recieving the money. Have a conversation over the phone, ask them to explain all the negative things about it. And verify it with pictures of its current condition. or have your own rigger inspect it and call the guy.

And of course always use paypal, so if the rig is out of wack with what you thought you were buying, you will have some protection.

I realize people have been doing the "send it to my rigger" method for a long time. Buts its your rig, your money, you can sell it on any terms you want.

Is it common practice to send the rig to the potential buyer to jump before they make an offer? Is that common?

No.

The potential for damage or gear loss (cutaway, lost main, handles and freebag) for this to be common placed.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."