Kaz

Aarrrghhh - Anyone quit smoking successfully??

I quit smoking 20 years ago after smoking for 8 years. It wasnt to teribly hard. I had just decided it was time to quit. Although I did cary a pack with me for 2 months in case I wanted on but never did, at the end of two months I gave the 2 cartons I had in my locker and the pack in my pocket to a shipmate and have not thought about them since:)
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

Kaz,
I started smoking in 1964, I quit Nov. of last year. I used the patches and toothpicks. You will have good days and you will have bad days. But you will never do anything that will make you feel like you control your life. Hang in there.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I quit a couple of months ago, so far, so good.

...yeah, and Shawn tried to convince me not to light up after I quit 2 years ago...didn't work, I was drinking [:/] (sorry Shawn!) Seriously though, I only really have the cravings again when I'm drinking...or around other smokers...so I do give in and indulge now and then. I have maybe 1 cigarette per month....but that has been after being totally smoke free for 2 years. I'm at a point where I can smoke with friends one night, then not smoke again for a month or two.

I originally quit because I didn't want to get winded while skydiving...and most importantly, I didn't want my babies inhaling smoke off of my clothes or breath.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Quit Numerous times 3mnths, 6mnths etc. and started again, Its been 6 weeks now and Ive managed to go out drinking with all my freinds who are smokers, so hopefully I'll quit fot good.

"The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival." - safe swoops -

MY DZ

KEEP GOING, KEEP GOING, MAN!!! I quit after 10 years of 1.5 packs per day.
As everyone, the first few days were horrible, then it should get easier!
I quit as I started: a moment before you are a smoker, a moment after you are not, but You must want it with all your mind and body otherwise you'll go back in it [:/]

I'm sure, you'll do it! KEEP GOING THIS WAY, AND REMEMBER ALL YOUR FRIENDS HERE AT DZ ARE WITH U IN EACH MOMENT.;););)

"I have some jumper friends who swear by this hypnotist in Illinois. They said they went a couple times and that was it, they never craved a cigarrette again... "

I believe it
I went to group session (different counselor -Evett Kaye) with about 30 other people (strangers) - 18 years ago. I had smoked for over 17 years (3+ packs/day for 10 of those) and in 17 years had gone only two days w/o smoking due to bronchitis. I thought I lacked the will power to quit.

I walked out of that session an informed, enlightened, confirmed NONSMOKER & have never craved a smoke since.

I always write too much to post in these threads so I'll be brief(er). If anyone wants greater depth or detail feel free to PM.

IF you've made it more than a day smoke-free you are further along than I was before I learned how to relax & accept the suggestion that I could indeed control my behavior & save my health. I chose to live as a NONSMOKER from that point forward and for the first time in years, believed I could follow through on decisions concerning lifestyle & habit changes.

Evett provided a good reinforcement audio tape. I knew of the power of self hypnosis/positive self- imaging from karate training - so I faithfully dove into the reinforcement. In less than 2 weeks I quit listening to the tape & gave it to a friend.

I started immediately noticing the benefits of living smoke free & used my newly reviving lung capacity to begin a workout regimine. Today I'm in better shape than 90% of guys half my age. It's all good smoke free.

You just need to unplug the false & destructive "smoking is cool - I'm a smoker" Mojo, and plug in the "living smoke free is cool, healthy, sexy, powerful, fun, liberating,etc (pick your favorite) - I'm a happy NONSMOKER" Mojo. Your subconsciuos urgings will immediately begin to work in concert with your conscious decisions & deliberate behavior. There needn't be a struggle whatsoever between what you desire & what you allow yourself here. The smokefree lifestyle comes naturally & painfree once you are willing to accept yourself as a NONSMOKER.

You can start the process next time you look in the mirror - are you looking at a NONSMOKER or a smoker trying to quit? If you are indeed not smoking & accept the NONSMOKER identity- embrace it - believe it - you'll be amazed how easy & satisfying being the new you gets.

I quit for three years after many years smoking, regressed for about six months this summer, and am smoke free again for a month and a half now. (First time I had the help off some Zyban, the second time I did it cold-turkey.)

Key is making up your mind to NOT SMOKE. Tell yourself "I Don't Smoke". Period. No questions, no options. Spending your last five bucks on cigs is not an option. Bumming one is not an option. Smoking is just something you don't do, like you don't eat pickled yak liver, either. Don't tell people "I'm trying to quit." Tell them "I HAVE QUIT." (Except maybe don't shout it at them, they may get the wrong impression.)

I like being able to draw a full breath, not hacking in the morning, not scrounging for change at the end for week for smokes, not being winded when sprinting up a set of stairs or to the plane for a "Now-Call". I LOVE going to the gym now! (One of my rewards to myself for quitting was to use part of the money saved for a gym membership.)

You mention working towards your A license - Which tells me you're nearly broke paying for jumps and saving to but gear - Do a little math like I did with my wife (who refuses to quit and is a non-jumper-) She spends about 1800 - 2000 a year on smokes. I made about 100 jumps this year. Coincidence? I don't think so. So now I try to shove 3-4 bucks a day in this jar on my dresser to prove a point to her - There is a choice - I can smoke or I can jump.

Now I want to lose about 15 pounds and downsize to a 135 Sabre 2 - Any help there?

Easy Does It

Quitting smoking was easy!!! I'm such a good quitter I just quit quitting after 1 1/2 years last week!!!
I'm such a bad ass that I'm already up to 1/2 a pack a day! I hate it and am pissed at myself..

Smoking is such a crutch for me when I'm stressed out...

Congrats in advance on a smokefree week, fight the power!!!

-Biffin

Swoo Rodriguez #1020, LawnDart, AR #007

I'm with you dude...

Through 20 years, I've quit many a time - each time I make it further and further. I've found that sunflower seeds are majik for me (but my wife tells me they make my breath stink - not sure she knows what she's talkin' 'bout).

This time I quit about a month ago, and its been the easiest yet - I haven't killed anyone (family included, and the close calls are much fewer this time). I've been on Wellbutrin for the last 6 months though and that may be helping (WB is great shit).

The test for me has been toughest this week - I'm travelling in Europe where everyone smokes. I get bored in my hotel room and the old solution was to smoke (we won't talk about what I'm doing now in my hotel room to stay occupied ;):D:D)... And I went out for beers last night till 2:00 am and almost gave in. Today, glad I didn't.

And... I know if I have just one, its all over with.

- Jeff

"That's not flying, it's falling with style."

Today I'm in better shape than 90% of guys half my age. It's all good smoke free.

I can confirm this! I remember we Manifest Chicks got out your waiver and checked your age last year ;) - we were astounded at your age because of your physique! :$

As for me, four weeks exactly. I've given up before and always fallen off the wagon, but this time it feels different. I went Cold Turkey instead of patches etc and simply think of myself as a non-smoker.

I also replaced my smoking with a healthy lifestyle, because in the past the weight gain has been an excuse to start smoking again (also, don't believe what anybody says, simply giving up smoking and doing nothing else does not make you feel dramatically healthier). Now I drink 4 litres of water a day and take my dog for hour-long power walks every day and, if I say so myself, I haven't looked or felt better in many years.

I agree with the person who said to go up to somebody at work who has just been out for a ciggie - it's so easy to tell who in the lift has just popped out for one and it's mind-blowing to think I used to smell like that!

Finally, another tip is to tell absolutely everybody you have given up. You'll want to prove wrong those who laugh at you, try to tempt you and insist you can't do it, and you won't want to disappoint the loved ones who are so proud of you.

Good luck to ALL of us! B|

Cheers,
Eiley

nothing to see here

I went today without a cig today also. after being off and on for 6 months this is it. damnit>:(

anyway get some strong gum, like eclipes
chewing cloves. like the kind used in baking helps me:)good luck to you

Great to hear you are doing well there, kiddo. Congrats on moving to the smoke-free side of life. Always pleased to learn a bright & chipper friend has done something good & so obviously intelligent for themselves. There are few things(if anything) more rewarding judged on an effort/benefit analysis that you can do for yourself.

Because I was a defensive, misinformed, "hooked" smoker for so long & now know the "addiction" is entirely a matter of subconscious perception, I don't bother bugging my smoker friends - unless they confide that they really want to quit .

I can tell you that as fun & comfortable as it was at the DZ with you running manifest, I'm sure people appreciate your company even more now that you are a nonsmoker. Not that I suspect a lot of folks objected to your smoking, but I've noticed gregerious types such as yourself tend to emit a positive magnetic vibe (even a glow) when they get onto something good. The vibe is contagious & makes them even more fun to hang with. I'm sure you're glowin & looking & feeling great. Good for you. BTW, Buddy says hi to you & your dog. He's glowing too but I think he swallowed a christmas light.:)
Thanks for the compliment - (why do I never hear about these things until the women are safely married or a few continents away?:D). I just got tired of hearing 20 & 30 & 40 somethings on these smoking threads fretting about recovering from smoking damage and/or being past their "prime." It can become a rationalization to continue the habit. I was a pathetic overweight breathless slug 20 years ago; I think my experience suggests that we are usually only limited by our level of belief in ourselves & our determination.

I smoked anywhere from 1-3 packs a day for 11 years. I just had my ninth smoke free anniversary. It can be done! It gets much easier as time goes by. Just take it one step at a time and don't ever let yourself have just one. You are a smoker and there is no such thing as just one. Just don't ever give in and eventually you won't want one anymore.

After 9 years I can finally say that I will never smoke again. Actually I can't stand the smell now and I don't like when people smoke around me. That is when you know that you are truly over it.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Day 11 - it's definately getting easier.:)
But I have this persistent cough.[:/] I think my body is trying to purge it's self of all the nasty stuff.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

That's exactly what's going on - your lungs are cleaning themselves! It's a good thing! When I quit, the worst part of the morning was taking a nice hot shower and the steam would loosen up all that crap in my lungs - then I would start hacking like crazy! It only lasted a short while, though.

Keep up the good fight! You can do it, my friend!

Easy Does It

Been ~20 days for me.But I was sick Thanksgiving week with the flu, I was down for 3-4 days, when I got up I was already ~4 days smoke free. I just turn 44 yrs old and feeling better than when I was 21!
Also, giving up whiskey and using vulgar language
, bad jokes, and pay more attention to what kind of tv shows and movies I watch,etc.Oh, and next year I will do twice as many skydives than this year!

you have small "hairs" called cilia lining your respiratory tract. Normally, they work to help push icky stuff out of your lungs. Smoking makes these not work. When you stop smoking, they start to work again, and start getting rid of all the ick that should've been gotten rid of a long time ago. Once all the yucky stuff is out of your lungs, you'll stop coughing.