lazerq3

Tandem Factory???

I/ve heard that fraise used alot in diff posts. Some one please correct me. Is that a DZ that shuns on or gives hassel to taking up single lic divers. HOw do you consider a DZ a tandem factory? (what are the signs)
Ignorant (dowh!)
jason :)

I think it can also refer to a dz with limited aircraft and good advertising. They get lots of tandem "students" and to get them all up before the sun sets they discourage regular skydivers from jumping there with long calls and frequent bumping. The first jumpers who get hooked and continue jumping there often are looking for a new dz shortly after they graduate.
Personally I think this way of running a dz is self defeating. If the tandem students see regular people like them going up doing fun jumps they are more likely to see skydiving as something they can do and come back to do more jumps. If the only licensed jumpers they see are their instructors and maybe one or two disgruntled others waiting on a 2 hour call...
pull and flare,
lisa

Personally I think this way of running a dz is self defeating. If the tandem students see regular people like them going up doing fun jumps they are more likely to see skydiving as something they can do and come back to do more jumps. If the only licensed jumpers they see are their instructors and maybe one or two disgruntled others waiting on a 2 hour call...

I couldn't agree more Lisa. We had a fellow visit our DZ earlier this year from a so-called Tandem factory (DZ name withheld under Freaksis's advice). He told us some fairly sad things, like when he hit his 100th jump, they just said 'Hey, that's great' and that was it. Nobody got excited, no pies, or anything like that. Also, he got bumped from planes sometimes for the tandems, and had a hard time finding someone to do any RW with.

i agree with these explanations of "tandem factory"
i think some dz's don't do it on purpose, they just get so focused on making enough money to survive (if its a small dz) that they push the tandems...at the expense of the experienced jumpers...
of course some dz's know they are doing it and just don't care though...
it's nice to see a dz with a healthy balance...i think bigger dz's are usually better off in this area because they have bigger/more aircraft so they can do tandems and experienced jumpers...when you have a single cessna its hard especially when the tandem person wants video...but that is where dz's make their money, what can you expect you know??
sis
P.S. way to go Grogs! hahaha...sorry ya'll i wasn't trying to preach or anything!

Ok so now I'm scared. My DZ is small (2 c-182's) but they just got a new big hangar. They are opening this weekend for the 2001 year and I'm going to get set up for my AFF. Is there any suttle way to find out if they consider themselves to be a tandem factory or just straight out ask them or should I just go with the flow and deal with it later??

Ok so now I'm scared. My DZ is small (2 c-182's) but they just got a new big hangar. They are opening this weekend for the 2001 year and I'm going to get set up for my AFF. Is there any suttle way to find out if they consider themselves to be a tandem factory or just straight out ask them or should I just go with the flow and deal with it later??

Nobody is going to admit to being a tandem factory. If you see other experienced jumpers and they make up a large % of who you see than it is probably not a tandem factory. The big tandem factories will crank out 100+ tandems in a day and normally have big airplanes to help them do this.
It is mostly a matter of emphasis. I have never been bumped off a jump for a tandem at my home DZ. There are lots of experienced flyers and several teams that train there. A tandem factory will likely lack these, especially the teams. Although most teams want to train with something bigger than a C-182.

Uh, I would not ask them if they are a tandem factory, they would probibally take offence, and they might not be. I would think it would be quite obvious to find out by just hanging out and watch and see how things happen. I think the other posts clue in to what a tandem factory operation would be like. Sometimes you might get bumped for a student or tandems. I would not say that this is making the DZ a tandem factory though. The DZ has to pay their bills, aircraft maintenance, fuel, wages, etc. to keep running and students and tandems bring more money in than the fun jumpers. This all has to be balanced.
Craig

Our DZ (Spaceland) does pretty brisk tandem business, but I wouldn't consider them a tandem factory. I've never seen more than 3 tandems per otter load, and if this isn't a formal rule, it seems to be an unwritten one. Seems like a fair compromise.
The manifestors do a very good job of keeping you on a load once you've signed up. The only time I've been bumped was for a big-way, not a tandem load, and they were very apologetic. I've had some waits to make a load, but I've never been bumped except for that one time. But I just like the whole atmosphere, so I don't mind hanging out to wait my turn. Truth me known, my biggest damper has been having to wait for a rental rig to get available. Can't wait to get my own so I can make more loads.
Anyhoo, just doing a bunch of tandems wouldn't qualify a DZ as a factory IMHO. Like many of the others here, I would call a DZ "tandem factory" when they start neglecting the active divers in favor of the tandem/student drops. There's a certain DZ out West that has a really bad reputation of doing just that, and to the nth degree. I'll let others here identify that DZ if they wish. ;)
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Well I guess I'll just have to see how it goes then. I know for I while they'll be loven me with AFF cost and then renal prices. But worst case sinario I could drive to the other DZ (1 hr away) if it ever got bad. I think I'm more or less just psyching myself out. ITs just when your investing so much money into something you want everything to go right but then again we live in an unperfect world. Thanx for all your input
jason

I was going to stay out of this one, but couldn't completely. I've learned that there are some DZ's who will flat out tell you that they are more of a 'student DZ' and that's just the way it is for them to keep their head up and make money. While I totally understand and grasp it, it doesn't encourage the experienced to hang around much. Some mind, some don't. While your an AFF student, you probably will not have much problem because you're still paying student costs, even if it is such a DZ.
I jump at a place with just one C-182 and in the summer, it's a mad house. It's even picked up now with 12 tandems last Saturday. The DZO does his best to give everyone else a shot on a load or two, but usually sit at the DZ the entire day waiting for my slot. I deal with it cuz the DZO is my buddy, and I love the people I jump with. I also am getting excellent training there, and have a great time when the beer light comes on.
So I guess what I'm saying is be a bit forgiving of the smaller places that have no choice but to bump you now and again, and try to choose somewhere you feel like you're safe and getting a good training above all, even if it takes some patience. I intend on finishing up learning there, then I'm sure I'll be checking out the other DZ's in the area. My home DZ will always be my home tho and I will frequent there most.
My .02 cents :)Pammi

My pet peeve is up-jumpers who don't show up until 13:00 and then grumble that they didn't get enough jumps in, because - guess what - a crowd of tandem students arrived at noon!

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that is annoyed by this!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."