Omni

Logo on main???

I have seen pictures of the Redbull, Army and various other logos on the bottom of mains. Is this just normal screen printing? Anyone know where I can get it done? Once I get my main I really don't want the local screen printers trying it and would prefer to use someone who has experience with canopies.

Thanks

you get it when you buy the canopy - they do it when it's built.

Talk to the canopy manufacturer.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I have seen pictures of the Redbull, Army and various other logos on the bottom of mains. Is this just normal screen printing? Anyone know where I can get it done? Once I get my main I really don't want the local screen printers trying it and would prefer to use someone who has experience with canopies.

Thanks

There's a fellow at my home dz that just bought a Stiletto with a Union Jack on the bottom skin.

It wasn't printing at all. It is a surprising number of colored fabric pieces stitched to the pieces that make up the bottom skin. They were stitched on BEFORE the canopy was assembled, so that when the canopy was assembled, voila, the Union Jack appeared. His bottom skin is white, so only the red and blue parts of the flag had to be added.

He told me that the flag on the bottom cost more than the canopy. But he said he got a very good deal on the canopy.

I've no idea what his out-the-door price was.

As well as cost, you also need to consider the effect on pack volume - which I understand can be quite significant - and resale value.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Most of what you see is sewn in as part of the canopy.

Flight Concepts and PD are two of the companies who do this for the Military Teams.

Flight Concepts makes mos tall the Demo Canopies and PD the RW, VRW, Swoop and Tandem Canopies.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Thanks

Thinking about the screen printing I have done, it wouldn't be at all compatible with canopies.

All the inks I've used were heat cured, and the heat was pretty high at that.

Thinking about the screen printing I have done, it wouldn't be at all compatible with canopies.

I have a PdF Merit which has a logo screen printed on the bottom skin

Any idea what sort of ink it was? Or was it a dye?

As I said, I'm only familiar with the common heat cured stuff you see from t-shirt shops and such.

That doesn't mean there aren't other methods.

Somebody else said stick with the manufacturers. That seems like sound advice.

I have a PdF Merit which has a logo screen printed on the bottom skin

Any idea what sort of ink it was? Or was it a dye?

As I said, I'm only familiar with the common heat cured stuff you see from t-shirt shops and such.

That doesn't mean there aren't other methods.

Somebody else said stick with the manufacturers. That seems like sound advice.

I was wondering about this too. Not that I want to do anything to my double diamonds, but it would be an interresting read to understand how it could be done.
Muff #5048

NZ aerospoerts have an avanced tequnique that produces the cleanest and most professional looking logo canopies that I have seen.

Before the different colours were sewn together creating larger packing volume, limited colours, limited design possibilities and more drag.

http://www.nzaerosports.com/gallery/logo-canopies
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Yet another want crushed by cost...

Are even aware that you would need to buy a new canopy to get it logo'ed? Even before you add the cost of the logo, you're looking at close to $2k.

Here's the thing, you don't really want a logo canopy right now. For starters, it will add pack volume to an already large canopy. Besides that, it will be an already large canopy (your first) and you'll be tired of it in short order.

During your first 400 or 500 jumps you'll probably go through more canopies then in any other time in your jumping. Wait until you have a little more air time, and settle on a canopy and size you think you might stick with for a 1000 jumps, then spring for the brand new canopy with custom artwork, and the matching embroidered rig to put it in. Until then, try to blow as little money as possible on gear, and funnel all of it into jumps, which are much cooler then parachutes with pcitures on them.

Thanks

I recently asked PD how much it would cost to make a 190-210 Storm look like the canopy on their 2011 calendar cover: $900-$1100.00 [:/]... For kicks, I then asked how much the smaller logos their team jumps would be: $450. I'm not planning on downsizing anytime soon, but feel $1,000 for a silk-screening is too much. Heck, they already have the stencil (or whatever they use).

You mean like this? That is an actual photo, btw.

Listen to davelepka, he is exactly correct. You want to make sure you have a canopy that you will be keeping for a long time. And resale value will be nothing so don't expect anything back for the amount you pay for the design.