VanillaSkyGirl

Wind tunnel pics

I loved the wind tunnel in Orlando. It was my first time, and I learned so much from my instructors. Personally, I was very, very happy with the camp that I chose, but any camp or time spent in the tunnel is better than none. Also, it is sooo much fun!

I need to give a special thanks to my Airspeed Instructors and to Skyventure for making my visit so wonderful and productive. I had all the instructors that were present for my camp...Todd, Mark, Craig, Eliana, Kirk and Neal work with me individually at a time. They do this for everyone...rotate the instructors.

I think that I can even see in the pictures, with the expressions on my face, how much I have progressed. The following pictures are with Craig when I was just beginning to understand and do the exercises. Craig, like the others, was very fun and inspiring! (Hmmm...I look like a tiny midget in the pics with him....he's taaaaall.)

These next few are with Eliana, whom I find sooo inspiring as an amazing female skydiver on Airpseed. (She's so fast and strong!) These pics were taken after I had spent a little more time in the tunnel. A happy and more confident look on my face is quite apparent.

Yes, she is trying to beat me up in the "Stability" pic! LOL! :P

Rosa, you're so teeny. First thing I noticed is you wearing a weight belt in the tunnel :ph34r:.

I've never been. I can't wait for Perris to open theirs so I can get in there. I'll be in Florida this April, but I don't think I'll be able to schedule any tunnel time.

You do make it look like fun!

Rosa, you look awesome!!!! Beautiful body position - just perfect!

I just went to the tunnel in June, so I can definitely relate to that smile on your face. It's true what they say - it really is like crack for skydivers!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Yer busted for geeking the camera tho

LOL!

You know, it totally looks like I was looking at the camera, but I SWEAR that I didn't even know when my pic was being taken. (Trust me, I was too busy!) I never noticed anything outside the tunnel while I was in there. It is soooo hilarious that I look like I was looking straight at the camera. Actually, I was told by my instructor to look straight out in front of me for the ""Stability" exercise. The photographer must have moved towards where I was looking to make it seem like I was looking at him.

I am not sure why I was looking that way for the "Translations" shot. I SWEAR that I was concentrating solely on my exercises! It is reeeeaaally funny how the pics came out, though.

Rosa, how totally awesome. . .looks like you were having a great time. . .I was talking to someone last night who said I should get some time in a tunnel after I get through school. . .

Can't wait. . .

Awesome pics girlie. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Cool Photos.... I have to start saving and go for some tunnel time down south next summer.... It looks tooooo fun... But I have to find a group to work out a break on the price...:P

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

Cool pics

the only wind tunnel I have been to is the one in Tennessee. It was very hard to stay in the windstream. How long did it take you to be able to to stay stable in one place?

Been to that one...so much fun!

Those are really awesome pictures Rosa! I'm so jealous...for the tunnel time AND how pretty you look doing it!

Pam

Rosa, you're so teeny. First thing I noticed is you wearing a weight belt in the tunnel

LOL! Yes, I am small, but weight belts in the tunnel are not unusual. The wind speed can be fast! My first day, I didn't wear a weight belt at all. My night instructor wore weights when flying with me :o as he assumed that I had weights on (LOL!), and, when we realized afterwards, he...ugh..."highly encouraged" me to put on lead!

Since I am so small/light and have no rig on in the tunnel, the weight belt saved my back from torture. It also kept me down! Give me a lot of limb movements with no weight belt, and it's all over. :$

With Craig, the next morning (in these pics), who is proportionally huge next to me, I wore 10 lbs. of lead, at most. After I became more tired, I wore about 12-14 lbs. In the pics with Eliana, she wore 18 lbs., and I wore 12-14. (She told me that she wore 28 lbs. in the tunnel when she flew with the Russians!) One of the male campers wore about 28 lbs.(belt & vest) while flying a 3-way with an Instructor and myself. Again, I wore between 10-14 lbs.

To everyone ~ Thank you all for the compliments. It WAS too much fun! Btw, none of us looks "good" in the tunnel (just shiny, sweaty & tired), but you should see how gorgeous all the skydivers (ok, fine, Airspeed! :$) were outside of the tunnel. OMG!

Blackholeson ~ Not wearing a rig is veeeeery nice! :)
Viking ~ It is different, at first, then you get used to flying in the tunnel. I was actually really scared at first. (Isn't that funny? It's so loud and violent-appearing.) One difference is that wind speed can be faster/rougher than the real thing, and it can drop unexpectedly. You just have to learn how to adjust quickly without giving it a second thought.

Beowulf ~ It took one 2 minute session to not feel scared. This tunnel is probably different than the one in Tennessee. In this tunnel, if you can fall straight down when flying, it shouldn't be a problem remaining in the wind stream when flying around.
:)
Skyyhi ~ Yes, the tunnel is a great training tool. This is just my personal opinion, but I think that people should try to get more comfortable with freefall for a while before rushing into the tunnel. (I just went to the tunnel after 100 jumps, but I was the baby of my group.) Then again, there are plenty of people that have few jumps and many tunnel hours, who can fly beautifully in the tunnel. However, imho, there is no substitute for freefall. (You can learn the mantis in MJ's 2-way camp for free.;))

Pilotdave ~ I actually just noticed these pics in Skyventure's website, so I took them from there. (I cropped them smaller.) I was surprised when I clicked on to myself in action! It was pretty cool to see pictures and video as I had NO pictures of myself in flight and only three jumps on video prior to the tunnel.

Edited: Perhaps the photographer was in the open door, next to where the flyers wait for their turn. Like I said, it was taken by the tunnel photographer. I had nothing to do with it. :)

LOL, welcome to TFA, Tunnel Flyer's Anonymous.

My name is Andi, and I'm a tunnel addict. We'd like to welcome Rosa today to her very first meeting!

YAYAY!

Fortunately, you CAN beat this addiction, but there's only one way: MORE TUNNEL!!

Welcome to the club of tunnel addicts, girl...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!