jumperconway

ATTN: ALL TEXAS DRIVERS!!!

Texas DPS officers are do nothing more than extort money from motorists. They do noting to increase safety or protect the public. They are mobsters with a badge. Notce how they all hang out in rural areas, on straight, flat interstates, and hide to trap you doing 75 mph on an interstate with ZERO poulation, on-ramps etc? Notice how the speed limit in TX drops from AZ, even though the road only gets straighter and more deserted?

I lived in CA for the past 5 years and never got a ticket, even though I drove 85 mph everywhere, (current of traffic). I drive to TX and get a ticket for 79 mph in a 70 from an inbred DPS officer with 3 teeth outside of Midland. You can't tell me that 80 MPH is not safe in a car with Z rated tires, ABS, etc when 18 wheelers can do 70. There was no-one within a mile in front or the back of me.

The danger is not speed, it is difference of speed. If you go 80 and everyone else is doing 30, that is dangerous. If everyone is doing 85 and you are doing 50 in the left lane, YOU are the one bing dangerous.

Texas cops are pricks, they have nothing better to do than speed traps and I wouldn't piss in their mouth if their teeth were on fire.

Best thing is, lawyers can get you out of almost any ticket, but it still costs you.

Bitter, much?

This is the part where I add that the cop that let me go was a Texas DPS officer outside of Sherman. I was doing 82 in a 70 on my way to Skydive Dallas.

Respect them and they'll respect you.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

You can't tell me that 80 MPH is not safe in a car with Z rated tires, ABS, etc when 18 wheelers can do 70. There was no-one within a mile in front or the back of me.

Doesnt matter how "safe" your tires and brakes are. You still broke the law.
(guess who recently went to defensive driving?)

Oh, and 18 Wheelers, if they decided to have a mind of their own, could rise up in a hostile takeover and squish us all like bugs.

Texas cops are pricks, they have nothing better to do than speed traps and I wouldn't piss in their mouth if their teeth were on fire.

EEEEEAASSY NOW! I might be a prick as well if I had to deal with your attitude 10 times a day. Might want to check yourself.

Funny thing is, I did call him "sir" and even explained to him that I thought it was safe and that 18 wheelers were passing me. I later learned from the bartender at the Mariott at the Midland Airport that the tickets were financing a new High School football stadium. Go figure in TX.

And, yes, Im bitter. And he really did have 3 teeth.

Doesnt matter how "safe" your tires and brakes are. You still broke the law.

Here is where you and I part. I believe in civil disobedience. If Hitlers SS in WW2 believed in it too, several million Jews might be alive today. 70 mph in west TX??? Please! The 2 lane FM road with no shoulder and farm tractors galore in front of my house is 70 MPH! Guess what, homosexuality is illegal here too (or was recently)

Thats why you are not supposed to get caught! You think I drove 70 on the Interstate in Texas? Or anywhere for that matter... ?
Fact is that if you want the priviledge of a drivers license, you have to obey the law or pay the fines when you get caught breaking it. They cant modify the laws to say.. oh yeah well he was speeding but it was 2am and there werent any other cars on the road, and hes got z-rated tires and abs brakes, so he can go 90 if he wants.
I grew up in Texas, and have encountered many DPS officers. I can refute your statement that they are all pricks. Of course, I was never a pain in the ass to them.
Chill... you really cant compare speeding tickets to Hitler, genocide, and homosexuality.

But you can compare blindly following any law Big Brother throws your way. QUESTION AUTHORITY! Actually, my ticket says the speed limit was 65 MPH on an interstate with NO towns and light traffic as compared to 70 on the asphalt, narrow FM road in front of my house. Make sense? It is rumored the Nazis started with lowered speed limits ;)

Ok, I will question authority. The next time I get pulled over and the officer says that he just changed the speed limit on that street and I was speeding, I'll question him/her.
Or if an unmarked police car tries to pull me over, I'll call the police and tell them where I am and that they'd better send a marked police car if they want me to pull over. Girls get raped and murdered that way.
(and if that wasnt a thread killer... )

Funny thing I just got done with a defensive driving course here in El Paso today and found out about this law.

I totally agree with what the law is trying to do but not always with how police officers go about using it to ticket people just because.

I use to be a paramedic here in El Paso (worst drivers in the world) and would have loved if people got over all the time when I was on a busy road. I don't the slowing to 20 under is great cause it just causes a lot more rubber neckin.

Captstubin
Eloy here I come!!!!!

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I just had to respond to this line:

Yes, I got a ticket for going less than the posted speed limit for this total and obvious BS law...

The only BS here is this interpretation of events. The author did not receive a ticket for going less than the posted speed limit. He got a ticket for not following a law that was only made because some drivers don't have the sense God gave cabbage.
"The more you drive, the less intelligent you are."
--Miller, Repo Man

Amen - the fact that they need to pass a law for something that is just plain common sense is saddening.

On the drive out to Vancouver over XMas, I think it was WY that had signs along I90 pointing out the very same law. The only thing worse were the signs along the same freeway in WA that said for Slower traffic to keep right.

I guess they are needed for the same people who continually need to be told not to touch the element on the stove, since it's hot? ;)

Bwaahahah

Somewhere (Ivan will help;)) there is a "warning Labels" thread where in one manufacturer of a chainsaw lists that you should not try to stop the chain with your genitals. Must be for the same people.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I am just curious, why don't we think that common sense courteous driving needs to be made law?

Let's be honest, how many times have you come down the hammer lane and someone in front refuses to get over so you have to pass them on the right? Or how many times have you refused to pull over to the slower lane to let someone pass you? How many times have you tried to pass someone only to have them speed up? How many times have you gotten on the highway and then as you come to the next ramp and you clearly have right of way due to a yield sign and the on coming traffic fails to yield?

Or how about this one (my personal favorite) You are in the right hand lane, someone is in the left lane. Sign says "Left lane ends 1500 feet." The person next to you neither speeds up nor slows down to merge. Five hundred feet later another sign "Left lane ends 1000 feet." Still no response from the vehicle next to you. 500 feet later "Left lane ends 500 feet". Still no response. 250 feet, 100 feet and suddenly they try to push you over?

Apparently the sign is there to inform you that their lane ends to make way for them? Is that the law?

The truth is that laws like this one are there because we as a species are too self centered to prevent "Common Sense" accidents from happening. Added to that is this concept of common sense, I can talk to three different people about the same thing and get three different ideas of what is "common sense". It is subjective.

It is unfortunate but I guess until we begin policing ourselves, these dumb ass laws are going to keep coming.

Now the seat belt law or helmet law . . . that is stupid:P