moodyskydiver

um..major vibes needed for my mom

I'm sorry for post whoring, but its 4AM, I can't sleep, I'm crying and just don't know what else to do.Heres the problem:

My mom is an RN for a home health agency. This week she was told that one of the patients she admitted to her care has Tuberculosis.The problem is, she wasn't told this until AFTER she had visited this patient several times including one visit while the patient had a severe fever and was highly contagious. She has been in contact with the patient and their family who has also been excessively exposed.But yet the fucking hospital failed to inform anyone that they should be wearing specialized masks and NEVER quarantined this patient.After my mom pitched a fit about this, the hospital gave everyone surgical masks which are still useless b/c it doesnt prevent the contraction of this disease.(They were supposed to wear duckbill masks.)Their feeble excuse for quarantine was "we put a note on the patients bed".WTF? If you're by the bed you're obviously by the friggin patient!It wasn't even in the patients chart! My mom's agency had to contact CDC and let them know that my mom and atleast 1/2 a dozen family members have been exposed b/c the hospital failed to do so.

Tuberculosis has no cure. My mom has to meet with CDC Monday for a TB screening to determine if she has contracted this disease.Shes scared shitless and has worried so much that the stress has kept her in bed all weekend.We are all very worried about her and upset with the whole situation.I hate whinning for vibes, but this is for my mom's life.Please send any vibes,prayers or thoughts you can spare.We would all greatly appreciate it.Thank you.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Lots and lots of vibes for you and your mom, Amber! Also sending lots of hugs your way!and Ill definitely be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Feel free to call me if you need to talk-anytime-even if its 4 am and you can't sleep

*daizey*

Amber, sorry to hear that you're so upset. Listen, has your mother ever been innoculated for Tb ie: a BCG jab? I'm a Diagnostic Radiographer and work regularly in a Tb clinic. I never wear duck bill masks, I'm innoculated and once you've had a booster thats all you need. However, even if she did contract Tb IT IS TOTALY TREATABLE. There are now some drug resistant forms but we can now even treat them with different drugs. In the UK everyone gets a BCG jab when they are about 13/14 Years old. The vast majority of the patients I see are from Africa and Asia who are now in one way or another living in England. I've been working regularly with Tb patients now for six years, neither I or any of my colleages have ever contracted the disease. I hope this helps to put your mind at rest.

The treatment of tuberculosis is divided into:

initial phase:
the use of three or more drugs aims to rapidly reduce the number of bacteria hence minimising the risk of drug resistance
isoniazid, rifampicin and pyrazinamide are the standard triple therapy
resistant bacteria require the addition of ethambutol, or rarely streptomycin
the initial phase lasts for 2 months

continuation phase:
lasts for 4 months
isoniazid and rifampicin are the standard double therapy

Dry your eyes, I'm sure she'll be fine. If you need to chat feel free to IM me. x
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Amber,

The concern and worry you are showing is not whining. You do every bit of it that you need to do. Prayers going up for your mom, your family and you.
Huge {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{VIBES}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} headed your way for your mom, you and your family and (((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))) for you.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

:$ I've had similar experiences in various places I've worked, the ward sends down a patient and then a week later you find out the patient has a drug resistant infection. Its irritating and can be pretty disconcerting if you don't know much about that disease. Because Tb is a notifiable disease its standard protocol to trace all contacts and screen them with a Heaf test and chest x-ray, then re-check at six weeks. The majority of these 'contact screens' that I see are negative. I just hope Ambers feeling a little more resured. Glad to help.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Thank you for your information. I honestly don't know if my mom has been innoculated.I know she gets tested for it every year but as far as I know she has never had anything other than a screening. Its not something we can really bring up right now.I'd rather not bring it to forefront if she is distracted with something else.I'd rather her think of anything other than this to ease her mind.

All I do know is that my mom has been a nurse since before I was born.I remember her working 2 fulltime jobs and a full time classload when she went back to school for her RN license/degree. Shes the best nurse I know (not just saying that b/c shes my mom..this is what every patient who has been treated by her has said when I met them).Shes seen and done alot over the years working in OB,ER and everywhere in between including nursing homes and now her current love in the field is homehealth and has been for the past 10 yrs or so.

But when its enough to scare her its enough to scare me.She doesnt get scared easily and is a very through, cautions professional. I've never seen her so upset over something medical. Maybe its partly b/c this particular patient isn't expected to survive.Thats why she was called to admit him to hospice.

Again I'm sorry for whinning.I'm just worried and cant show it around here right now b/c I dont want her to get more upset than she already is.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Skyrad provided wonderful information. So long as the TB is treated before it has the chance to do damage, then she'll be fine.

Think of it like like a clogged artery - so long as the artery is opened before the clot has the chance to damage anything, then there is nothing to worry about.

It's early and she'll be fine. :)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'm sorry for post whoring, but its 4AM, I can't sleep, I'm crying and just don't know what else to do.Heres the problem:

My mom is an RN for a home health agency. This week she was told that one of the patients she admitted to her care has Tuberculosis.The problem is, she wasn't told this until AFTER she had visited this patient several times including one visit while the patient had a severe fever and was highly contagious. She has been in contact with the patient and their family who has also been excessively exposed.But yet the fucking hospital failed to inform anyone that they should be wearing specialized masks and NEVER quarantined this patient.After my mom pitched a fit about this, the hospital gave everyone surgical masks which are still useless b/c it doesnt prevent the contraction of this disease.(They were supposed to wear duckbill masks.)Their feeble excuse for quarantine was "we put a note on the patients bed".WTF? If you're by the bed you're obviously by the friggin patient!It wasn't even in the patients chart! My mom's agency had to contact CDC and let them know that my mom and atleast 1/2 a dozen family members have been exposed b/c the hospital failed to do so.

Tuberculosis has no cure. My mom has to meet with CDC Monday for a TB screening to determine if she has contracted this disease.Shes scared shitless and has worried so much that the stress has kept her in bed all weekend.We are all very worried about her and upset with the whole situation.I hate whinning for vibes, but this is for my mom's life.Please send any vibes,prayers or thoughts you can spare.We would all greatly appreciate it.Thank you.

dont sweat it. my wife is a rn and has been exposed to tb many times. shes tested regularly every 6 months. tb IS treatable. long term antibiotics, INH i think. you also need a really good exposure to contract it usually, like say breathing in droplets from the carriers breath.its easy for a sick patient to come in, and not be diagnosed until after people have been exposed. it does suck that noone was informed if the hospital knew beforehand. tell her to relax, as long as you are treated in a reasonable amount of time if it was contracted, shell be fine.

hey Amber. i hope your mom is okay. don't think for a minute that you are whining. it's nice of you to ask for prayers to help your mom. and the vibes from this board can and do work wonders. ((((((((((VIBES)))))))))) and prayers for you all.

billy d------------------------- "Escape may be checked by water and land, but the air and the sky are free." (from the story of Daedalus and Icarus)