n2skdvn

backlash on the mars landers

We have a "sound off "section in our local news paper where you can post your thoughts in the paper
here's a few from the past week.

Who cares about Mars?

• Over the years NASA has spent billions of dollars to put a spacecraft on Mars to find out whether there's ever been life on Mars. Who cares? The money could have been spent helping people in the United States.

and

Don't get it

• We got a robot on Mars. Well, that's great, a red-dusty planet. Can somebody tell me how this benefits the United States?

and then in the sound off of the day on the front page...

For the people wondering why we are we sending robots to a "dusty planet",just look at some of the things around you. Cell phone technology,fule-efficent vehicles and the small personal computer are just afew. Spaceflight has also helped us in finding new medicines and might help us find a cure for osteoporosis. This is why we are sending robots and people out into space.

what are your thoughts??? im just qurious?
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

We have a "sound off "section in our local news paper where you can post your thoughts in the paper
here's a few from the past week.

Who cares about Mars?

• Over the years NASA has spent billions of dollars to put a spacecraft on Mars to find out whether there's ever been life on Mars. Who cares? The money could have been spent helping people in the United States.

and

Don't get it

• We got a robot on Mars. Well, that's great, a red-dusty planet. Can somebody tell me how this benefits the United States?

and then in the sound off of the day on the front page...

For the people wondering why we are we sending robots to a "dusty planet",just look at some of the things around you. Cell phone technology,fule-efficent vehicles and the small personal computer are just afew. Spaceflight has also helped us in finding new medicines and might help us find a cure for osteoporosis. This is why we are sending robots and people out into space.

what are your thoughts??? im just qurious?

In principle, all the engineering advances mentioned could have been made by direct investment rather than indirect (through a space program). Governments tend not to be that imaginative, however. The space program "justifies" the money spent.

Personally, whatever share of my tax burden that goes to space exploration is just fine with me, whether or not there is any spin-off.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Mars has an atmosphere. Hence a canopies can fly there. When do we open a dropzone there?;)

...but much less gravity. hey, anyone want to do the canopy size conversion math? would a vx46 safely land my 200 pound butt? B|

as a more serious response to the original question. i think that as an end objective, there's no real reason to go to mars, but the spin offs from the science it took to get there will be of benefit.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Exploration and discovery of the unknown are basic human qualities (this has been proven time and time again through history)...

Therefore, folks who do NOT want to explore space/Mars are obviously not human...

So they must be advance scouts for alien/martian civilizations who are trying to keep us from learning their secrets! GET THEM!!! :D:D:D

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway

The whole "look at the technology we got from space travel" angle is way, way, overrated. That said, I wholeheartedly endorse the space program and would love to see an increase in funding.

I totally agree.
There are very likely to be resources we can use on Mars, including living space. We're growing. We need to either control our population, or find somewhere to put it. Granted, being able to use these resources is a long way off, if ever, but by the time we can, we might need to, and we have to start some time.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

These people lack imagination, any sense of adventure or wonder.

Can you possibly imagine the conversations that took place when Leif Ericsson, Christopher Columbus, James Cook and a host of other set sail to discover new worlds? Can you imagine today wanting them to be held back?

We have no idea what's out on Mars -- that's why we have to go.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

These people lack imagination, any sense of adventure or wonder.

Can you possibly imagine the conversations that took place when Leif Ericsson, Christopher Columbus, James Cook and a host of other set sail to discover new worlds? Can you imagine today wanting them to be held back?

We have no idea what's out on Mars -- that's why we have to go.

I just can't top that.

*applauds*

well said...I totally agree with you. Sometimes you explore for the benefits you didn't even know you wanted or needed...
You don't have to know what the gift is before opening it...you open it anyways and sometimes you are pleasantly surprised with a gift so precious you didn't even know it existed.

The earth is flat, so why explore only to fall off the ends.
Mars is a dusty red plant, so why explore a place that has nothing to offer.

*sad sigh*
some people just don't 'get it'.

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

Know what Quade, you hit the nail on the head. I've been reading this thread and the other Mars thread, and I've been trying to figure out how to say what I wanted to post. You posted essentially the same thing I wanted to say. Kudos Quade!! Well said.:)

...but much less gravity. hey, anyone want to do the canopy size conversion math? would a vx46 safely land my 200 pound butt?

Less gravity but what is the actual density of the atmosphere... a relative elevation... I think the VX46 would still be SMOKIN

Density altitude would be a real bitch there me thinks

So my student 230 ft canopy would be really high performance? ;)
"Introducing the new Ares 950 sq ft canopy, from Celestial Designs, Inc. For extreme pilots and astronauts only.":P:P:P
Can you imagine a Martian AFF canopy?

Edit to add: Lander? We don't need no steenking lander! Just open a hatch at around 45000 ft, I'll take it from there.