Sheenster303

Driver Sentenced To Carry Picture

Yeah, well I think it will be effective for some people. There are people out there who have no heart and seeing a person in a coffin would mean nothing to them. It's a sad, sad world, but it's the truth. I do think it's a fitting punishment for those who take it to heart, though.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

definitely crazy, probably not effective at anything other than driving this woman crazy and probably driving her to drink even more... possibly effective at giving the victim's family some sense of "revenge"

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I think that might be the stupidest thing I've heard of...so it's stuck in a pocket in her purse where she won't look at it. A person dies and she has to carry a picture...yeah, that's justice:S
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

I think that might be the stupidest thing I've heard of...so it's stuck in a pocket in her purse where she won't look at it. A person dies and she has to carry a picture...yeah, that's justice:S

I see what your sayin. I was thinking that too. But I think the idea is effective in the whole. She probably won't look at it, but sometimes she might see it sticking out of her wallet and look at it by mistake and feel something in her heart. Maybe I'm just naive and think all people are good at heart.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

Yeah but it was a picture of the person she killed. Then SHE has the gall to complain on the picture the family gave her to carry. I personally don't think this was harsh enough punishment, but the nerve of her to complain about the picture. What a biotch.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Yeah but it was a picture of the person she killed. Then SHE has the gall to complain on the picture the family gave her to carry. I personally don't think this was harsh enough punishment, but the nerve of her to complain about the picture. What a biotch.

Judy

You make a valid point Judy, but this entire scenario begs the question, what is the purpose of the criminal justice system? And for that matter, I'm not intimately familiar with this case, but, it's very much possible that she is very much sorry for what she had done. Drunk driving, and death as a result, is in many cases a very very bad mistake. I'm sure that many of the people here, and many people in general, can think of a time or two when they woke up one morning, look outside and noticed that there car is there and thought, "oh shit, did I really drive last night?" The answer is yes, and the consequences could have been a whole lot worse...

There has been an increase in judges passing more unique sentences in the past few years. I know that some judges require sex offenders to place an ad in the news paper when they move to a new neighborhood as well as place a sign saying "A convicted sex offender lives here" in their yard. In Texas I've seen judges make it mandatory to have bumper stickers reading "I am a convicted drunk driver" put on the cars of those who have had X number of DUIs.

The most unique sentence I can remember was a real old case we studied in one my of criminal justice classes. A judge (in South Carolina? Forida? I dont remember where exactly) gave 2 convicted rapists the opportunity to either serve life sentances for their crime or voulnteer to undergo surgical castration.The convicts didnt want ot serve jail time so they both agreed to the surgery. Later the ACLU and Supreme Court had a fit and declared that violated their civil rights but by then they had both had the surgery.

*shrug* it sounded like a good idea to me.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

All she received was probation after directly causing the death of another person:S!

I would think not only some time in the joint but loss of driving privileges for life would be fair punishment..... PSHAWWW! Five years probation and carry a picture of the deceased, its a friggin slap on the hand.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Drunk driving, and death as a result, is in many cases a very very bad mistake.

True. But sometimes mistakes have more serious consequences than others. Consider hook turning too low. The fact that sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't doesn't make it unfair the times people die from it -- you still have to understand and try to prevent it.

And the folks who survive that (btw hook turns are just an example) don't like the results as a rule, either.

Getting in a wreck and/or killing someone (or getting a massive ticket, or going to jail) are sometime consequences of drunk driving. Carrying the picture of the person you killed is a consequence of killing him. I hope I don't make a mistake that leads to someone's death. I'm sure it's possible, too.

What would you think of a rigger who packed reserves while drunk, and usually did a good job?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's creative, no doubt. But if it was me, tho, I'd just stick the picture in a part of my wallet I never use. Or, just not carry it. Who's gonna enforce that?

I was thinking the same thing.

"excuse me ma'am, it says here on your license you have a class V restriction which means you must have a picture of the person you killed on you at all times, can you produce that for me?"

You make a valid point Judy, but this entire scenario begs the question, what is the purpose of the criminal justice system?

That is a most valid question - probably want to start a new thread on that .

And for that matter, I'm not intimately familiar with this case, but, it's very much possible that she is very much sorry for what she had done.

It's no secret that if you drink and drive, you could kill yourself or someone else. She better be sorry but unless she has spent her life in a box the woods all by herself, she knew drinking and driving kills.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I'm not saying that this should just be forgotten about. But I don't think that's highly likely for the woman. It's just a guess but I'd say most people who kill someone, whether on purpose or accidentally while impaired, probably think about that for the rest of their lives. Do we need a judge or a vindictive family to remind her of this? I don't think so. But that's just my $.02