rhino

Females and smoking...

Ahh the blame game ... its so ... 6 year oldish!

Ahh.. The not admitting that in a restaurant it is rude and selfish.. So pre-schoolish..

But don't come here and put the reponsibility on the smokers.

That's where it belongs.. It's YOUR ADDICTION/HABIT not mine...

I was told by the people around me that the smoke didn't bother them but it bothered me that I could be potentially harming others. Non smokers have every right to breath clean air. We all do. If I want to smoke I will but it is my responsibilty to be sure only I will be included in the consequences.

Right on... :)

But your words on this subject come across to me as self-righteous, provoking and demeaning. In fact, as a smoker, I feel they come close to being a personal attack on me.

Could you please tell me specifically whay I said that makes you feel that way?

I was a smoker, though I think it was more a habit for me than addiction. I quit many times only to start again. It would start socially, and would work into my free time later. I would then feel the need to quit to gain control, and would do so, then after I conquered that I felt accomplished. Only to start again months later, when there was obviously no nicotine addiction in me.

I quit again about 4 months ago when I started dating my boyfriend. He didn't like it, but wasn't rude about it. I just felt that it wasn't necessary, and if it turned him off, that kinda sucked. I missed it for a while, and have had a cig now and again when out drinking with friends... but then I realize how much I really DON'T MISS IT! It smells, makes my throat raspy, makes me cough the next day... did I mention it smells? I'm glad I am not smoking now. But, I can never say never because i've fallen into that trap too many times. But, for now, I do not smoke and am happy about it.

When they first banned smoking in restaurants I was pissed (at the time I smoked). But, now that I don't smoke... I see the real need there. When you don't smoke, the smell is really bothersome. Not to mention it makes a family restaurant into a place to go kill your children (I don't have any, but just thought i'd throw that in there). I think it is ok in bars, although i'd rather it not be in there, either... but in restaurants I think it is just unnecessary. It is a place to eat. Eat, drink.. then leave and smoke elsewhere. It isn't all that terrible.

just my thoughts.
Angela.

It isn't your choice.. It's the ASSHOLE that decides to subject my family and I to his NASTY ASS HABIT, "NOT MINE!" that keeps us from going out half of the time..

It IS your right to smoke. BUT IF AND WHEN YOUR HABIT RUNS UP THE NOSTRILS OF A NON-SMOKER YOU ARE VIOLATING HIS OR HER RIGHTS.. Take your NASTY ASS HABIT OUTSIDE, BE CONSIDERATE, STOP BEING SELFISH..

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT to subject my child in a restaraunt to 2nd hand smoke.. My 7 month old on the other hand HAS EVERY RIGHT NOT TO HAVE TO PAY FOR YOUR BAD DECISION AND HABIT...

THE ONLY REASON it is still allowed in some states is because we are still in the stone age.. It SHOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW to smoke in a vehicle with a child. Or in a house with a child..

Do I make myself clear?

Rhino ***

Does that go for bongs too?;)

Imagine trying to do something and failing. Repeatedly. How would that make you feel? Yup. It'd make you feel like a piece of shit.

You know, I am carrying around a tremendous amount of guilt because it was not until the very end of my father's life, when I realized that even though he wanted to quit, he was never going to be able to do it, it was simply beyond his capabilities. Had I and the rest of my family come to peace with that reality, we would have certainly gone easier on my dad for his addiction. I don't know if that makes any sense, but, I am saddened by the thought that I made his life any more difficult than it already was. Do you smokers think it is easier to quit while you are young?

I understand exactly what you're saying. I have a cousin who supposedly smoked through the air hole left after her laryngectomy (sp?)...I appreciate the fact that some people (based on their own very lucky experience) think that quitting is a piece of cake, but for most people, it really is a hellish experience.

My mom was finally forced to quit by the simple fact that her oxygen line was a major fire hazard...that's the ONLY reason she quit, not because she wanted to. She says she'd still like to smoke, and misses it every day. Watching her get the way she is now made it a lot easier for me to quit, though...

As for quitting while you're young...absolutely. I seem to recall something from my smoking cessation class that the less time you smoke, the easier it is, as you have less "learned" codependent addictive behavior, but don't quote me. Basically, the longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit.
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

2+ days smoke free. I think I am really going to do it this time!!!!

Congratulations!!! I'm also 2+ days smoke free....:)
Both my parents are heavy smokers and I developed asthma at the age of 22. I'm doing this for myself. I won't ask my parents and friends to quit (even though it would help a lot), because it is something I need to do for me. I use to say that it was hard for me to quit because I'm constantly surrounded by smokers, but that is just BS. As I mentioned before, I'm tired of feeling sick all the time. I'm tired of not being able to run and hike without losing my breath.
I'm not going to tell others not to smoke, I'll just try very hard not to smoke ever again.

MEN: you can't live with 'em, you can't shoot 'em, but you can act psychotic and keep 'em off balance.
HISPA #10

Whoo Hoo!!!!

While many others here are whining we can celebrate our accomplishments. I just keep thinking of all the people I know and love who don't smoke. That is what is keeping me away from them.

Best of luck to you. :)Heather
Life doesn't have to be perfect in order to be beautiful!

Having smoked (and repeatedly quit) for quite a while I know what you mean about feeling pants when an attempt to quit fails....But DON'T stop trying to quit!!! I cannot remember what number attempt this is but I am smoke free a year now and my mantra every morning is Quit Again Today. I used to think once I'd lasted a month I'd be fine but it'd come back and bite me on the ass. Besides, if you quit, the extra money's great and you'll hack up less furballs....
Just show me the door....

I appreciate the fact that some people (based on their own very lucky experience) think that quitting is a piece of cake, but for most people, it really is a hellish experience.

When I was told I could quit cold turkey and and enjoy it, I didn't believe it either. I wasn't the first.
Read the reviews at amazon.com and judge for yourself. This book is a small revolution IMHO.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You know, I am carrying around a tremendous amount of guilt because it was not until the very end of my father's life, when I realized that even though he wanted to quit, he was never going to be able to do it, it was simply beyond his capabilities. Had I and the rest of my family come to peace with that reality, we would have certainly gone easier on my dad for his addiction. I don't know if that makes any sense, but, I am saddened by the thought that I made his life any more difficult than it already was. Do you smokers think it is easier to quit while you are young?

I feel you.. My grandfather, mentor and best friend in the world died in my arms. It took a week of him hacking up his lungs before he finally suffocated in my arms...

It was horrifying and pointless for him to die of emphysema.. He only smoked for 12 years.. I tried to get him to listen. But he wouldn't. Now my best friend is gone.. My son does not get to learn from the man that helped shape me into who I am..

It took 60 days for him to die from the time he was diagnosed. BAM!! He was dead..

He use to say that if he quit he would get hit by a mack truck. He apologized before he died for setting the wrong example for me, for copping out and not being strong enough to overcome his addiction. He made me promise to never make the same mistake.. I did..

I associate MASSIVE pain and loss with that pointless, dirty, nasty, poisoness habit. It will likely take one of my parents as well in the next few years..

One thing I DO NOT ALLOW if for ANYONE to smoke around my children.

This is not a pissing match.. Smoking is a horrible thing to do to yourself. Granted, it may be hard to quit.. Better to suffer the consequences of quitting than to end up like my grandfather. He made excuses until the last few days of his life stating "you don't understand" "You have never smoked so how can you understand?"..

I understand a pointless activity when I see one..

Rhino

Wow, this is a pretty amazing thread. Here's yet another reason to not smoke...

I'm a nurse. I work in a cardiac cath lab. I was on call this past weekend. We (the call team) were in the lab for 25 hours worth of heart attacks. All are or were smokers. All needed an angioplasty and stent(s).

So if you don't want me shaving the pubic hair off your groin at 3:30 in the morning while you're having crushing chest pain, don't smoke.

I'm eleven days smoke free. And still tired from this weekend.

Jen

P.S. Everyone is doing well! :)

I'm cheering you on sweety, sending all the vibes I can to get you threw the next few weeks.

btw...you are one of the considerate ones, Until you posted here that you smoke I never really noticed it and I can't think of one time when you were.

*hugs* good lucky *hugs*

Kelli
Fly it like you stole it!

And if you do it wrong ?:
ATTENTION SMOKERS AND FRIENDS OF SMOKERS
Every smoker has done it; either you're distracted by a conversation you are having, you're driving and trying to keep an eye on the road, you're in a poorly lit bar, or you've simply had a few too many drinks in a well lit bar. However it happens, every smoker occasionally lights the wrong end of his or her cigarette, inhales one nasty lungfull of burning filter, curses, throws the now useless thing to the ground, and lights up a fresh smoke.

It is unpleasant, annoying, and embarrassing . . . but scientists now believe inhaling the burning fumes from a cigarette filter can cause genital dysfunction in males and females.

Cigarette filters contain a chemical known as tralfamadoraphyl that is generally harmless . . . unless it is burned and its fumes inhaled. Tralfamadoraphyl fumes build up in the body over time with each incorrectly lit cigarette, and eventually can restrict the flow of blood to the genitals of both sexes. It is estimated that if an individual were to incorrectly light one cigarette a month, it may take three or four years for the side effects to become recognizable.

Cigarette manufacturers are not made to warn the smoking public of this threat to their health because, as one tobacco executive has stated, "If our product is used in the way it has been intended, this will not be a problem."

So, it is up to us. Pass this along to all the smokers in your life, and to the nonsmokers who have friends and relatives who smoke. They will thank you.

False. http://www.snopes.com/toxins/filter.htm
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I was always a "social smoker" on and off. In other words, only when I was out and then smoke free for days in between. I always thought I could take it or leave it. Now since I have been laid up since August, I have suddenly found myself smoking daily. Probably about 5-10 cigarettes a day. So I proved to myself that even social smoking is dangerous.

My mom smoked anywhere from 1 to 3 packs of cigarettes from age 16 to 62. This February she will be smoke free for 6 years and she is doing great. She went through literal hell to quit smoking. It is most definitely an adddiction, like Bytch said. In fact it's considered one of the most difficult addictions to beat. I myself have decided to nip it in the bud before it gets too hard.

Whenever my family put pressure on my mom to quit, she just smoked more. When she finally quit, she didn't tell anyone so she could remove the pressure. I think I found out a month later.

My point is, you are doing a smoker no good by criticizing them and making them feel less than you. Nobody is perfect. They need your support, not your insults. And if you're worried about damaging influences on your kids, I suggest you turn off your TV. Pollution comes in many forms.

My prayers to all you smokers who wish to quit.

Chris